help me troubleshoot this fenix LD10

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Light: Fenix LD10 R5

Condition: Good. Seen a lot of use (EDC/work), but overall it's not too banged up.

Problem: Sometimes it doesn't turn on. About half the time, I'd say. This initially happens regardless of what mode it's on - high or low. Twisting the front element between high and low modes several times and trying the switch again often results in the light turning on, but - you know - thats no way to live :) Another thing I have noticed is this: Once I get it to work, the light will not have a problem being turned back on in the high mode, but it will sometimes revert to not turning on on the low mode. And finally, sometimes when it doesn't turn on, it comes on for a split second with a low powered momentary fade, as if it's on and then it fades. That is all i have observed, but let me know if you have any questions.

What I have already done, but it hasn't solved the issue: Tried fresh batteries obviously. Threads and contacts cleaned thoroughly. Tail cap tightened on the inside where the spring is.

ANY IDEAS???

I really want to find a way to repair this light. It's not new, but it serves its purpose really, really well... when it works :) I'll definitely buy a spare tailcap if you have one, because I don't think you can still get them, maybe that will solve it.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
Have you tried replicating the issues using just a piece of metal to close the circuit instead of the switch? It sounds more to me like you have an iffy switch than anything else and if that's the issue that should be a pretty easy fix just switching that out.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried replicating the issues using just a piece of metal to close the circuit instead of the switch? It sounds more to me like you have an iffy switch than anything else and if that's the issue that should be a pretty easy fix just switching that out.

Yep, just did - very similar result! Thanks! I've emailed two fenix dealers asking if they still have the replacement switches for this, could be a long shot, as it seems they've moved to a slightly tighter threads shortly after this edition...

LRJ88

Enlightened
With you looking for a replacement for this now and having given up on it, would you be interested in selling it so i could have a look at it? I adore those older models and it'd be interesting to me to see what's wrong if i get the chance to.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
With you looking for a replacement for this now and having given up on it, would you be interested in selling it so i could have a look at it? I adore those older models and it'd be interesting to me to see what's wrong if i get the chance to.

Still waiting for a reply from 2 fenix dealers, but if no luck on that front we can talk! But beware I may try to talk you into selling me some spares :)

I hear you on the older fenix models - the side mode switch they went for shortly after R5/Q5 was a total non-starter for me, not only it offended my eyes :) but was just not a viable UI option in some of the conditions I use the light at work (gloves, etc.)

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an old Fenix L1 S. I would sell cheap if you think parts will be swappable. It's around 2006

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I've got an old Fenix L1 S. I would sell cheap if you think parts will be swappable. It's around 2006

Good to know, thanks - I'll keep that in mind. Waiting to hear back about the switch replacement (slim chance, though) and then I'll go for some sort of plan B, either a new light or finding a matching switch.