*help* MULTI CREE(x6) combinations in MAG2D

nitnapz

Enlightened
i am usually a hot wire kind of guy, but every now and then i like to get my hands dirty.

i can get my hands of a couple of Q5 emitters driven at 600ma-1A
i would like to use a mag host (c or d)(small form factor (<3cells)
i have AWc batteries and i could get my hands on a fivemega battery carrier.
i do not have a lathe, so cutting down is not very practical at the moment.

i am thinking of usuing a download heatsink, as the surface is flat, i am thinking about putting 6 in a circle and POSSIBLY 1 in the center (download's heatsink has a hole for electricals) but maybe there is a way around this.. if not i will go for the 6 around the edges

which host would you recommend ?
what battery setup would you recommend ?
and last but not least, i've been told the shark does wonders, is this the safe way to go ?

thanks alot- i really want to start building one of these.

iggs

Newly Enlightened
Hi nitnapz

I'm looking at a similar build using an old 2D that has been lurking for years.

Mine is big enough to get 8AA's straight in there without boring out but I think I'm going to have problems with space in the head

I'm planning on using a maxflex driver I think. I've used one in a bike light I've built.

Here's a thread that might interest you if you go down the maxflex route > http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=179136

What optics/reflectors are you thinking of using?

nitnapz

Enlightened
What optics/reflectors are you thinking of using?

thanks for the response, if i use cree q's i'm not even sure whats what, i would suppose smooth mirror, and not orange peel ? are there only set reflectors for q5emitters ?

sounds like a dumb question, but if you manage to fit 8 in, how would you support the sides ? and how would you make the contacts ?

regards,
zach

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Please take a look at the diameters of them reflectors that you plan to use. I have a quad cree P4 with a shark in a 2c with a mickey mouse spring for 2x 18650. Unless you are talking about tiny less than 15mm dia reflectors, that is the max that the mag head will take.

mpf

Enlightened
Polymer Optics makes very small hexagonal collimator lenses that would be worth considering.
http://www.anglia.com/polymer_optics/datasheets/cree/170.pdf

6 degree lenses around a center 25 degree lens could be a good blend of spot and spill.

7 lenses in their holders together would be less than 46mm in diameter.

I am in the process of using this lens + 3 singles glued on to give a 10led Cree-XR 2D Mag mod. I am using my custom driver, 6xAA Eneloops and 5A drive for a 36W light. Also has a built-in deltaT battery charger supplied via external plug in 12V supply

Runs for 24mins flat out but the controller can be turned down to 1.6% of full power for days of run time. Recharges in 1.5hrs.

Using Eneloops and my zero off current driver means I can put the torch in the cupboard for 6 months without it loosing its charge.

The controller also keeps track of the current discharged and after 75% discharge reduces the max power to 25% and then to 12.5% after 87.5% discharge. Finally flashes 10 times and turns off on low voltage. However you can override the low voltage cut out by holding the switch down if it is an emergency.

It gets a bit hot (about 27deg C above ambient, i.e. about 60C), too hot to hold after 15mins, this is with 5 x 120mm dia fins on the head. It is also a bit heavy due to the lump of copper in the head for the leds and the heat pipe.

I am in the process of adding some tail fins, via the heat pipe, to get rid of more heat.

Also looking at making it into a table lamp as well as is does a good job of lighting the whole room just bouncing off the ceiling. Need to add another circuit board to prevent the batteries discharging when it is used as a lamp. That will make three (plus the switch)

I will post some pictures when its done, some months off yet.

Next project is a 12Led version. :) with the R4 leds surface soldered to the heat sink.

matthew

p.s. the beam pattern of the lenes are not as tight as the 17mm reflectors in a Telsa-6 and also have more side spill, but for that's fine for this torch as it is bright enough to light up the whole scene.

nitnapz

Enlightened

damn, thats hott !
i wanna see some pix of your work in the making.
how much do those tiny reflectors cost, and can any ol fool put it together ?

how much would you price the whole project q5's included

zach

mpf

Enlightened
how much do those tiny reflectors cost, and can any ol fool put it together ?
The 7 way is cheep, about $28 (see cutter.com.au) the single lenses are more expensive, about $8 each. You need to get special polycarboate glue to stick them together. I used Poly Zap (works well on broken plastic sunglasses as well)
This fool cannot do the machining involved, needed to fly interstate to my father's once a month for the last year to get it done but he does it in his back sheed so it is not beyond a skilled operator. (He is very skilled)

how much would you price the whole project q5's included
I am afraid to tally up the "total" cost including the test equipment (digital storage osc, IC programmer, pcb making facilities, just purchased a temp probe) not to mention the time spent over the last year.
see cutter.com.au for the R4 led costs.

matthew

Last edited: