Help! Need your expertise.

Qben

Newly Enlightened
I have a Canon A95 digital camera which takes 4 AA batteries. I am cuious as to whether or not I could use equivalent sized Lithium Ion rechargable batteries in it (14500 I think). Alternatively, maybe NiMh with slow discharge rate. I have seen the Sanyo Enelopes mentioned here and there. Are there any other brands I should consider? Up until now I have only used the Energizer NiMh batteries, some 2500 and some lower. I only have an 8 hour charger I got at Best Buy and maybe that is part of my problem too. When I pull the batteries off the charger I get one of two things: They won't even turn my camera on, or they will take like 6 pictures. Very frustrating! These are not old batteries (20 cycles or less) and I have exchanged the charger twice already. Help!
Christo_pull_hair.gif

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
rechargable batteries AA are 1.2 volts
alkaline batteries AA are 1.5 volts
Li-Ion 14500 batteries are 3.6 volts

if you are only getting 6 pictures per charge - something else is wrong..

how many pictures do you get with regular alkaline batteries?

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
A good set of NiMH batteries should run that camera for hundreds of shots on a Canon. I'd call into suspect your batteries(and maybe your charger might have destroyed them). I run Tenergy 2300's in my A75 and I can take near my whole 1 gig card in shots(with flash) with them. Sounds like those batteries are shot some how and are not meeting the voltage requirement of the camera(which should be met by a decent set of NIMHs).

Qben

Newly Enlightened
I can take plenty of pictures with alkalines. I don't know exactly how many, but it is a far cry more than with my NiMh. I am going to be buying AW's new charger for some Lithium RCR123 batteries. It would probably be too much to ask that it be able to charge NiMh as well, huh? I guess my concern is that I don't want to buy new NiMh batteries and then ruin them in my charger. I have a cheap multimeter that seems to indicate just over 1v on all my batteries fresh off the charger (it's analog and difficult to tell what the reading is exactly). Is there any way that I could still get that reading and have batteries that are bad enough to not start up my camera?

Anders

Enlightened
Most cameras chuts off in that range.
A nimh-cell who is reading 1,0 Volt are dead.
Just after charged they should read 1,40-1,50 Volt, if they are ok.

Maybe you can borrow a fresh cell from a friend to test if it is the charger or the cells that is faulty.

The charger AW sell is not able to charge a nimh cell, don't try this.
The 14500 li-ion cell will destroy your camera if used.

I don't think your charger would ruin your cells if you buy new ones cause the Volt is so low.

Anders

Latest posts