?help

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do comparing Led colors from one light brand give you a good relative comparison to other light brands. I was thinking about getting all of the color's in the Photon line to judge what colors that I want in future light purchases.
At first I was planning on only White LED's except for a couple of reds.
Later I see people saying that turquoise is the brightest. Later I see that it is not the brightest but the red or amber is. Another place I here that red is dimmer. Help, I don't know what is going on. I just want to be able to see things. Ok, here is where I am at now. If I want to see full color, I want white, Check! When I want to preserve my night vision I want red, Check. When I want the maximum ability to see objects and color rendition is not on the top of my list, ???What do I do??? ???does this vary from light to light if we keep everthing else on my part and the light a constant??? I'm so confused.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't be much help, since I only have white LEDs, but I believe max output comes from the green or turquoise.

C'mon fellas. Let's help this guy out.

Gandalf

Enlightened
I have 3 CMG Infinitys: white, green and aqua (turquoise) The white CMG is *really* wimpy. In getting the 40 hr. run time from the white light, CMG reduced the output to a level that's really only useful if you're eyes are totally dark adjusted, and whatever you want to illuminate is pretty close by. The green CMG is much, much brighter than the white one; several more times the light. But the green color gives a lot of color distortion. When used outdoors, the green light is very good; since you tend not to be illuminating a bunch of different colored objects; vegetation looks close to it's 'real' color. Outdoors, the green light is much less annoying than using it indoors. I just received an aqua CMG today, and I think it puts out just a bit less light than the green one; however, indoors there is much less color distortion than with the green CMG. The aqua is a 'lighter' color, and a bit closer to white than the green one. I think it's the best compromise between color and light out put.
I also bought white and turquoise Arc-AAA lights. The white light puts out vastly more light than the white CMG. However, the turquoise Arc-AAA is *much* brighter than the white one; 3 to 4 times the light, to my non quantitative measuring devices: my eyes. The white Arc AAA is great indoors, but the turquoise one puts out a *lot* more light. Color distortion is not too bad with the turquoise Arc-AAA. For me, the turquoise Arc AAA light is the best compromise between color and light output. The 'beam' put out by the green and both turquoise lights has a 'semi-focused' aspect to it, which includes some light and dark circles that some people may find objectionable. I think it's a fair trade-off to get more light. So my vote, at least for the CMG Infinity, and Arc-AAA, would be for the turquoise/aqua color LED's
wink.gif

Of course, the turquoise Arc-AAA puts out *much* more light than the CMG Infinity in turquoise; as you might expect; the CMG is designed for long burn time (around 40 hrs) while the Arc-AAA is designed for maximum light output, but about 5 hr burn time.
I'd like to see CMG make a 'high output' version of the Infinity. Given the approx. triple capacity of the AA battery to the AAA battery, the high output CMG could easily have a 12 to 15 ( or longer?) hour burn time, with light output equal to the Arc-AAA.
cool.gif
Perhaps CMG could offer just the 'head' in high output configuration, making them cost significantly less expensive than buying a whole new light. You could carry the 'standard' head and the 'high output' head, and swap them depending on your needs.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
Wish I could patent my idea; if CMG started making the high output head, they would sell tons of them to the people who already own the CMG Infinity as it is now made.
grin.gif
shocked.gif

StuU

Enlightened
Fantastic idea. I hope CMG is paying attention. Getting the Infiniti up to Arc AAA levels would be excellent and would take advantage of the bigger battery.

For CMG to make a high output head for the Infiniti would also be a first-rate idea.