Here is a pretty good and simple explanation on candela

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a pretty good video from Elzetta explaining candela. I know TEEJ does a great job at explaining lumens, lux, and candela and most of us flashaholics can understand it, but maybe there are new guys who are struggling with the technical jargon or maybe you have a friend you are struggling to explain it to.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That's not too bad.

I'd throw in that he's assuming 1 lux as "tactical lux", because he's saying to cut the ANSI claimed range in half to get the "Tactical Range".

This IS reasonable at closer ranges, which he was discussing, but woefully inadequate at longer ranges where the eye needs a LOT more lux to resolve targets.

He also doesn't account for the higher lumen lights being OK with higher candela, as the hot spot can be larger.

I liked his threat picture, with the higher candela light showing a small spot and leaving the guy with the gun in the dark, unnoticed...and the lower candela light showing the guy with the gun.

That was a great illustration, except, again, the higher and lower candela lights were 500 vs 650 lumen, and a larger difference, say a 1,200 L light with the higher cd would have also shown the bad guy, etc.

I didn't see his other vids about choosing a light, so perhaps it was explained in those.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very informative and interesting video - thanks for posting! I'm going to watch the (Elzetta) lumen video next, and yt already has it lined up.

I will say that not everyone will be clearing a room with their nightstand flashlight. If you are hunkering down, waiting for the calvary to arrive and concentrating / focusing on the choke point, then the high candela focused beam is what you're after, and what I have on my nightstand.

Different uses, different choices.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
TEEJ glad you saw this. I was hoping to hear what you had to say. I agree there is a lot left out but at the same time I feel like it's a good intro for people not familiar with what it means at all. His lumen video (now in the first post as well) ends up covering more about candela than it does lumens.

5S8Zh5 I agree, different lights for different uses.