Hey Dude, You're Getting A Cell !

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hey Dude, You\'re Getting A Cell !

All arguments for legalization aside, what I'm most interested in is hearing something from Dell about it.

Image and perception is very important to Michael, so I expect a press release with his decrying the whole episode. Has anyone seen a Dell Dude commercial since this happened or have they been pulled?

I think it's double funny that his character is such an obvious stoner, but they will get upset to find out that he really IS one!

And I suppose I enjoy it when big companies have headaches to deal with
wink.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

How do I know? Was I there?
By "there" I assume you mean jail. No I never went to jail but where I have been and Spent time at is my affair and mine alone. I share with a few that may find help in it but otherwise it is my information to keep.

I do know that it is hell to look out a window on a spring morning and know that you can't enjoy it. To know that you can't feel the sun on your face and breath deep the cool refreshing air. I never have taken freedom for granted since.

Does this answer your question?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

no Aragorn..what I was responding to in your post was your immediate assumption that the 'dude' was guilty, and your condemning him to jail, with no knowledge of the facts, which you could not possibly have, because you weren't there, dude.
If you love freedom, and the sun on your face, why be so quick to arbitrarily condemn someone else to live without it?

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

After watching "Reefer Madness", I can only imagine what pot really does to your brain
grin.gif

On a more serious note, I have lost 3 uncles and two aunts to "cirrhosis of the liver" due to alcohol consumption, most likely excessive. Since they were all siblings, I have espoused the theory that there is indeed, an addiction gene or alcoholism gene as some researchers have postulated. This is in no way representative of the scientific method, as it is an anecdote, but it does make one ponder. I haven't heard of any medically related deaths attributed to marijuana use, other than the usual idiots that insist on operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of any mind altering substance, whether it be alcohol, pot, extacy, smack, "bart simpsons"(mesc), coke, microdot, etc. C'mon, a little kif never hurt anybody. I use it as an analgesic, depending on the severity of the pain. But that's it. Party drug my eye!

Just my 2¢

D

**DONOTDELETE**

think the Dude had insurance?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

His spin in things was that he ended the contract because the Dell thing was hurting his prospects as a serious actor.
Oh yes.... almost forgot.
His role model is Sean Penn.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Must not be very newsworthy anymore, as this is the first time I heard the other shoe fall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I heard it here FIRST on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
Well, the other shoe finally dropped today. The Dude got canned and lost his contract worth (drum roll, please) $500,000!

[/ QUOTE ]
The interviews with him show he's remarkably naive. He is apparently not really concerned; I guess he'll just have to get another $500k job somewhere else. I don't think he realizes just how competitive the acting market is, and how unemployable most actors are (job skills? I can make a funny face!). This was the one big break few actors ever get and he threw it away.

When you are paid that kind of money to be a public personage – and if that is your only value – you need to go out of your way to avoid public problems. It's not enough to hire a clever lawyer for an acquittal in court: you need to avoid dealers, drug neighborhoods, and leave the pot alone. That's a big part of what you're paid for.

Dell shifted away for The Dude months ago. He wasn't being used any more. All he had to do was stay clean for the remainder of his contract and collect a few hundred thousand dollars for no other work. Is it really that hard? There are a lot of people who'd be willing to do so. Instead he probably triggered a "public incident" clause of some kind and Dell is going to save the "dead money" he could have had.

The only surprise here is that Dell waited so long to pull the plug. I would have expected them to wait no more than 3 days or so to see if there was an error in the reports or if it somehow might not become a public fiasco.

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Image and perception is very important to Michael, so I expect a press release with his decrying the whole episode. Has anyone seen a Dell Dude commercial since this happened or have they been pulled?

I think it's double funny that his character is such an obvious stoner, but they will get upset to find out that he really IS one!

[/ QUOTE ]
Michael Dell himself isn't that image-conscience or self-important but there are plenty of others there who will be in an uproar. A lot of effort goes into a marketing campaign like the Dude's and that's all lost now.

The Dude was phased out a few months ago in favor of the Interns and has had only cameo appearances.

If he appeared in future commercials people wouldn't think about the funny Dell guy but rather about the stoned stoner. That would ruin any message and THAT is why he got fired.

He'll get no sympathy from Michael at all. Michael knows exactly what it's like to have to stay clean. He was a CEO in his 20s and everyone was well aware that one cocaine rumor could shut down Wall Street access to financing; that sort of thing wasn't a "personal choice" for him. About ten years ago Michael broke both ankles in a go-kart and that was hushed up to avoid to "immature kid wants to borrow how much money?" syndrome. Michael has had to "pay the price" of staying clean to get his reward so the Dude needs to look elsewhere to find someone who understands how hard it is to say No when there's a few hundred thousand dollars on the line.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Is it the entirely the dude's fault? We mostly agree the pot laws are antiquated, useless, arbitrary, baseless, misery-creating, and unfair -- so why blame the dude? because he wasn't covert enough in his clandestine drug deal? why not blame the cop who decided it would be good idea to try to get a promotion at the dude's expense, why not blame the stupid laws for existing in the first place? and who thinks actors don't smoke pot, or 'hang around pot dealers' -- is that supposed to be a joke? if so; /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ! If any behavior has served to make the dude LESS of an alien character to customers, it's his very real pot bust. dell has been the typical out of touch corporate senile old fogey on this one, in my op. but it seems money, or the loss of it, is still more important than ideals and morals to some people..surprise.
(probably shouldn't post before finishing my first cup, but what the hay, live dangerously, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:

...why blame the dude? because he wasn't covert enough in his clandestine drug deal? why not blame the cop who decided it would be good idea to try to get a promotion at the dude's expense, why not blame the stupid laws for existing in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, just had to chime in on that one... blame the cop? Okayyyyy, let's take a closer look -

Benjamin Curtis (a.k.a. "Steve the Dell dude") was popped for possession after making a street-level dope transaction with a f*cking drug dealer (Omar Mendez). The obvious intention of the coppers were to make a drug dealer arrest/seizure - Mr. Curtis was unfortunately a part of that transaction. Did you want the police to let BOTH of them go? Or just Mr. Curtis? Now how would THAT look to a jury? I can see the questioning by a public defender now:

"So officer, you just let the Dell Dude go and kept the drug dealer? Was this your personal decision? Don't you think the prima facie of a dope transaction involved Mr. Dell Dude? Officer, aren't you being biased against my client, Mr. Dope Seller, for arbitrarily letting the Dell Dude go?"

Real good... how about if we focus on the coppers getting that dope dealer off the friggin' street for at least 48 hours. Let's try to save at least one 15-year-old's life.

Hey, you know what? I liked the Dell Dude... it was a good humorous twist for a mainstream PC company. But heck, he made his bed and he's laying in it -

Didn't mean to get off on a tangent, but putting the blame on the coppers is just too far left for me.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

PieThatCorner said:[/i][/b]
[ QUOTE ]
how about if we focus on the coppers getting that dope dealer off the friggin' street for at least 48 hours. Let's try to save at least one 15-year-old's life.

Hey, you know what? I liked the Dell Dude... it was a good humorous twist for a mainstream PC company. But heck, he made his bed and he's laying in it -

Didn't mean to get off on a tangent, but putting the blame on the coppers is just too far left for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

save a 15-year-old's life? we're talking weedawanna,
maryjane, puffinstuff, joysticks, grass, here, man..
as mentioned earlier, smoking flowers never killed
anybody, except one guy who tried to swallow a
baggie full because he was being chased by the
police, and choked to death. so as far as weed-related
deaths are concerned; that's police:1 (at least), weed: 0.

Wylie

Enlightened

I am totally bummed to hear Steve got popped.
Legalize it and profit from it! Make laws for people who abuse it, tax the crap out of it for importers with laws implied for smugglers, promote domestic growers with lower taxes. There are far too many uses for marijuana to be as asinine as our country has been. I drink a dieter's tea sometimes just because it smells like marijuana and I am nowhere near over weight. I had smoked years ago and to tell the truth I prefer marijuana to alcohol hands down. Whether its alcohol or marijuana either can be abused and I believe the worse of the two is legal at this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

Living in a country where smoking weed is "semi-legal",( don't ask for a coffeshop if you are expecting Starbucks...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I find the whole issue blown totally out of proportion... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif