Highest capacity AAA NiMH batteries currently available?

mummel

Newly Enlightened
Reviving this old thread! Its now Dec 2014. What do most people here recommend for a high capacity AAA rechargeable? Thanks.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reviving this old thread! Its now Dec 2014. What do most people here recommend for a high capacity AAA rechargeable? Thanks.

Bumped. Feel free to ignore my post... just skip to the last line... (have battery fever).

I understand the advantages of LSD, in theory at the cost of absolute "max capacity" for the chem. After obsessive dredging for what is there and consuming the very generous Amazo-nLee (tE) reviews and others, I understand why the reviewers, in their infinite wisdom, direct everyone to "whatever teh cheapes eneloop-copy-best-deals are now." Can't go wrong recommending the best deal on the best battery for pretty much anything. These cells are, regardless of advertising if they are copies, 800 mah batteries (if AAA variety), that keep a decent bettery than 80%-charge over a long time and are good for 1500-3000 charges. There are 950mah pro varities good for 500 charges, old Sanyo XX, and newerish Panasonic Eneloop Pro. The Imedion (Powerex brand), afaict, currently holds the best LSD capacity rating, and its expensive, but (sometimes less than) half as expensive than actual Eneloop Pros, which it bests by at least 100mah in capacity, and likely total life charges (just a guess). EBL High Capacity batteries claim to be LSD, come precharged, but have been ferreted out as inferior LSD, though they do apparently have actually the highest capacity (no long term tests I can find, too new)... and relatively cheap. Tenergy Platinum are also decent LSD, higher capacity than Eneloop Pro, much less expensive, probably last longer. Duracell has (4thgen?) 800mah japanese duraloops available almost everywhere I go, and that's great, but they're 800mah and at the store more expensive than Imedions online, and by the looks of most of them, they've been there a while. SunLabz and FlePow are also, apparently, well-regarded lower cost LSD NiMH, with pretty and colorful labels.

LSD. Got it. Check.

But what else is there? I can't find these higher-capacity current generation non-LSD batteries, just the older lower capacity ones that the new LSDs beat handily.

The OP's example is a good test case, but for 2015 we should extend the hike just a bit beyond the distance the best quasi-LSD (EBL) out of a pack could get you, which is over the advertised 1100mah. Please don't recommend another light, shorter hike, longer legs, nor carrying the overly burdensome extra AAA cell.

So (by inductive reasoning, earlier... nm) I arrive at the possible existence of actual non-LSD NiMH AAA cells that push to the limits of the chemistry, accepting up to or beyond 1000 recharges but no promise nor expectation of any charge to speak of beyond a week or a few days, that blows past that 1100-1150mah by the difference between the non-negligible capacity limits of the freshly charged LSD and non-LSD cell varieties.

Please direct me to the non-LSD NiMH AAA 1200++ mAh (current generation) rechargeable cells. You have my gratitude.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
yeah.... we want more, we want more ;)

seriously.. it would be nice to have those AA and AAA cells finally really bump in mAh.
they have slowly and slowly increased in capacity, but nothing extraordinary.

Currently in Japan there are some Toshiba Impulse TNH-4AH that have 900mAh min. and Panasonic Evolta BK 4HLC(made in Japan) that have a min. 930mAh. (and is a semi LSD cell)
note that the ratings in Japan are Minimal ratings.. so overseas they might show something around the 1000mAh.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
seriously.. it would be nice to have those AA and AAA cells finally really bump in mAh.
they have slowly and slowly increased in capacity, but nothing extraordinary.

Given that capacity really hasn't increased much in 10 years, I think that's an indication that NiMH technology has just about reached its potential. Same as NiCad technology did 10 or 20 years ago, and alkalines, and carbon-zinc, etc.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer is a New York reload. Carry a second AAA light to light the way home.

That would mean carrying an extra battery also. Craziness. Even after I asked nicely to stop with the out of the box solutions. Forget the test case. I want these because I just do, there is no substitute. I need a higher cap battery. AAA Imedions and EBLs and some others will perform over 1100mah, so it is sort of pointless to recommend any cell with less capacity. I don't want just any non-LSD, but the non-LSD that is the generational equivalent of these higher-capacity LSD Imedions and EBLs. There ought to be, there should be somewhere, batteries with even higher capacity but poorer LSD performance. The answer is only and only is any high self-discharge AAA rechargeable battery with more than 1200 mah capacity. (I don't know if its real, but it should be).

**FYI, joking about the trouble carrying extra little tiny things... still looking for a battery not anything else.

edit: EBLs get close to 1050mah, not over 1100mah, but Imedions are quite obviously more cap (over time), its a bigger battery, LSD, better battery, close to 1000mah. I think the quality non-LSD batteries don't exist in higher capacities any more (or right now), because the highest tested capacities of any AAA batteries happen to be LSD. Since only a few manufacturers don't lie on the label about capacity, one can safely assume that manufacturers aren't giving us the choice between hi-cap and lo-cap, they're only giving you a choice between cheap and expensive. The cheap batteries are cheap, poorly made, low capacity, non-LSD, and the expensive batteries are expensive, well-made, higher capacity and LSD. Eneloops are loved because its a very happy medium, 800+mah, take obscene abuse and recover, and are as cheap as you can find copies of them.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, how things have changed since I made this post! That stupid Coast PX25 is long kaput, thanks to the miserable battery carriers that Coast uses in these lights. I had one go bad, ordered a second from Coast, and had that one go bad as well. So I gave up on the light. When it comes to a small light for walking, I now use an SC52w L2 with a 14500. I hardly even think about that Coast, or trying to find the highest capacity AAA batteries. And if I need to change the battery, it's ALOT easier to change a single 14500 than it is to change three AAAs in some dorky battery carrier.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's ALOT easier to change a single 14500 than it is to change three AAAs in some dorky battery carrier.

I like AA. The lights are often negligibly larger than their AAA brothers. The battery and its size, however, is not why I like a light, only that I prefer single cell lights, and I think I like all single cell lights. Cells, otoh, I like for their own sake. My duraloops are growing on me fierce, but since purchasing my first set of cells and a charger for ~$5 walmart stock clearance sale, 6AAA+2AA+slowcharger, those 600mah rayovacs are my favorite, because duraloops are great but not cheap. I use/abuse the bargain rayovacs first, daily. I think maybe I merely want to try to replace them and how I use them with something with more capacity than eneloop pro copies somehow... but can't find these non-LSD higher capacity batteries, in AAA or AA, either size, that have tested better than the premium LSD cells. There should be non-pre-charged, non-LSD, "High Capacity" NiMH with a bit more capacity than the LSD batteries from the same manufacturer, but I've sort of given up hope of finding them. What I may do is just mark 6 duraloops for the daily abuse to distinguish them from subsequent batches of purchases.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer single cell lights, and carry either a Tank 007 e09 or a Fenix LD01. However, I doubt that any AAA cell has the capacity needed by the OP. Accordingly, it is my opinion he will have to go to AA. I do not have a large number of lights as many do here. However, I have a Terralux 100, single AA that would do the job easily. It has 2 modes; 100 lm and 50 lm. I test my own lights to see how long they will burn at a usable light for my purposes. That is sometimes as low as 5 lum. My test of the Terralux 100 on the low, 50lm mode had the following results.
Terralux 100 AA Lo 50
Eneloop 9hr 25min
Tenergy Prem 12hrs 9min

I am sure that the 6 hour hike would pose no problem for having enough light for your purpose. It is an inexpensive light which helps. It would seem easier to carry a single cell AA than to change batteries during the walk, but to each his own.

Jerry

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an idea... what OP and I need is the Tesla Flashlight (wireless powa!) with the sphere accessory placed near the middle of the hike, or perhaps the four corners of the Earth, which ever is more convenient. ;-)

0ha8LTs.png

____
-edit:
scouring, I got lucky and found a few more batteries to try that have positive reviews, I believe all HSD, not precharged, by Ansmann, GP, and Vapex, all rated 1100mAh, and not cheap. EBL 1100mAh are getting cheaper, close to $1 each on eBay.

Last edited:

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an idea... what OP and I need is the Tesla Flashlight (wireless powa!) with the sphere accessory placed near the middle of the hike, or perhaps the four corners of the Earth, which ever is more convenient. ;-)

0ha8LTs.png

Have you used EBL very much?
Jerry
____
-edit:
scouring, I got lucky and found a few more batteries to try that have positive reviews, I believe all HSD, not precharged, by Ansmann, GP, and Vapex, all rated 1100mAh, and not cheap. EBL 1100mAh are getting cheaper, close to $1 each on eBay.

jeffnc

Newly Enlightened
I know the OP really wanted batteries, but it seems things have changed and the post is updated. For this particular problem, I think a better solution might be to buy a headlamp such as the Coast HL7, and adjust the lamp output until it lasts the whole walk, rather than trying to adjust the batteries. I currently own the HL4, but have just ordered the HL7 as an upgrade. (Use mine for handyman services when working in crawlspaces, changing light fixtures, etc. I find I have no need for the red light on the HL4.)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you used EBL very much?
Jerry

Not yet, just read the reviews. At first, Amazo-NLee said they rated highest cap for LSD. Then, later, he dogs them because their LSD quality is poor, claiming ?85% after 3 years is bogus when 3 months leaves less than 75%, and NLee thus doesn't trust the claim of 1200 charges. But they're the cheapest, highest capacity I can find, and I don't need LSD (well... maybe a little).

I just blew my Christmas card stash... ordered D4 charger (wanted the opusC3400, but I can wait... too much!) and a small bunch of different batteries to try:

4x EBL NiMH AAA 1.2v 1100mAh,
4x BPI NiZn AAA 1.6v 1000mWh (with BPI charger)
4x Soshine AW?? Li-ion 3.7v ICR10440 350mAh,
4x Efest LiMn 3.7v IMR10440 350mAh,

And grabbed three more lights, E05ss (may keep, may beg for vn mod), that Thorfire clicky that looks like the DQG mini (intend to mod to a police blue LED), and idky, but the Maratac AAA Brass (they used the wrong kind of brass IMO... its not lead-free naval brass, its machining brass and has a lot more lead in it than California laws would like... so it will not go in the mouth like the Copper-- I have enough neuroses).

I feel like I am a good 4-5 years behind the satisfied flashlight owners that post here. I need to do some experiments of my own if I hope catch up ;)

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened

0ha8LTs.png

____
-edit:

No doubt you are referring to my highly (excuse my self-pat on the back here!) original post "The Tesla Flashlight" from some time back, and I appreciate that you recognize that Tesla (or someone with an intimate knowledge of his phenomenal work) could indeed "invent" such a light through a simple application of his long-suppressed genius/technology (to flashlights!)

The result?

The change (transformation) of entire industries and the ridding the world of all its 'darkness' to which I say let there be light!

LetThereBeLight!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt you are referring to my highly (excuse my self-pat on the back here!) original post "The Tesla Flashlight" from some time back
Well, sure. I did actually assume someone thought of this before. The only problems with Tesla's ideas, afaict, is that most of his patents are still ... top secret... and should Tesla's wireless power ideas get rolled out, replacing our crappy grid, the disgustingly rich energy magnets will have trouble figuring out how much power you used, and will be unable to charge you for usage, and they may die no richer. Wouldn't that just be tragic?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just go and buy a
Run it at 100 lumens and it'll last you over 3 hours. More with a decent cell.

I don't have one of these. But I DO have an Armytek Tiara A1 and a Zebralight H600Fw. However, if hands-free use is not an absolute necessity, I actually prefer a handheld light to a headlamp. One thing I never liked about headlamps is having all that glare so close to my eyes.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a package of AA and AAA EBL batteries. I found the AAA would not fit inside my Tank 007 e09. I did a runtime test with a Fenix LOD01. Here are the comparison results.
Fenix LD01 AAA
Hi Tenergy Prem 2hrs 20min
Eneloop 1hr 35min
EBL 1hr 57min

FWIW

Added: When I checked my batteries I discovered that I do not have any AA EBL batteries. I ordered a 4 pack and will compare them with what I have on hand as to run times for my lights.

Jerry

Last edited: