Houston, we have flashlights.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go to my local Fry's at 77077 often. Last time I was there was before Ike. Normally, I am the only one looking at lights.

Today, passing by Fry's there seems to be more people looking at lights. The folks are mostly mom and pop types. Older folks or couples. Many in the city still do not have power. But I am suprised many are looking for flashlights 2+ weeks after the fact. Maybe they are stocking up for the next hurricane event?

Of course, I notice they are always grabbing the types of lights us flashaholics won't even consider:

1) Plastic 2xD cell lights
2) Plastic 6v lights
3) Wind me up lights

I felt bad but what can I do.

shomie911

Enlightened
Not many people like being an educated consumer nowadays. :thumbsdow

I research everything before I decide on buying it.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not many people like being an educated consumer nowadays. :thumbsdow

I research everything before I decide on buying it.

i know, its a shame isnt it? when im asked about my lights i try to go into a detailed explanation of the uses and reasons why i chose what i did, but they get bored and dont care. its one way to keep people off my back about it though. lol

+1 to the research though.

shomie911

Enlightened
i know, its a shame isnt it? when im asked about my lights i try to go into a detailed explanation of the uses and reasons why i chose what i did, but they get bored and dont care. its one way to keep people off my back about it though. lol

+1 to the research though.

Ya, people get bored if you try to give them an explaination.

I never try to sway peoples views though, it never works.

But the times when I've in a situation where a flashlight is needed and they don't have one (or have a very dim one) they are impressed by whatever I'm carrying.

Some people I know have actually justified buying a $100+ flashlight.

But if I were to go to a coworker or aunt or uncle right now and start telling them why they needed an expensive flashlight, they would just laugh and say I'm crazy.

So I guess the moral is lead by example and they will follow.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh. Swaying people's decisions is not worth the effort.

Back when I still had some faith in humanity left, I used to try and convince people to make the rational choice instead of what they wanted to buy, but I can count those who eventually listened to me on one hand.

In the end I just gave up, because the vast majority are too stupid and/or irrational to listen to reason, and trying to rationalize with them would just increase my frustration.
Nowadays I'll offer advice if asked, but I'm done being a good samaritan - my time and my nerves are far more important to me than the choice of some shmuck I'll never meet again.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
That is why flashlights make such great gifts. For everyone else? Yes, they should have had some gear stashed away. If not, you grab what you can, especially if your $$ are limited.

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
Ya, people get bored if you try to give them an explaination.

I never try to sway peoples views though, it never works.

But the times when I've in a situation where a flashlight is needed and they don't have one (or have a very dim one) they are impressed by whatever I'm carrying.

Some people I know have actually justified buying a $100+ flashlight.

But if I were to go to a coworker or aunt or uncle right now and start telling them why they needed an expensive flashlight, they would just laugh and say I'm crazy.

So I guess the moral is lead by example and they will follow.

There are fantastic $100 flashlights. However, the non-flashaholic can be very well served with a number of quality lights for a $100 outlay. Spent wisely, $100 can provide more than adequate for the personal illumination needs of an entire family.

Still, better people have anything than nothing, so at least people are preparing.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I showed my friend the Olight T10 I used to carry... and he was wow'ed by it. Asked how much it costed and I said $50. He says, "$50?! I can get a maglite for $20."

I guess if it puts out light, it is basically the same thing. Most people can't see why anyone would spend more than the bare minimum for a flashlight. I guess if I never used one, I just kept one on the shelf for when the power goes out... one wouldn't be worth $50.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
or $1 wind me up or shake me lights at a dollar store.
On this subject, I found at a 99c store (basically the equivalent of american dollar stores) 2D LED flashlights with a voltage booster driving three medium-brightness LEDs (more powerful than 5mm ones, far less powerful than Crees). I was pleasantly surprised; yes, they're plastic, and no, they don't feel too sturdy, but I'd never seen anything but ultra-nasty incandescents sold at those prices around here.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes people often don't do any research before purchases, few actually research purchases period. Think about how many people have sold their big suv's at a great loss to buy a prius. They've spent a ton of money buying the suv and are taking huge losses selling it, then buying an overpriced car, that although gets decent gas mileage, will more than likely never return the money lost. Even compared to regular economy cars priuses would need something like 10 years of ownership to save enough gas to pay for the difference in intitial cost difference and by then you'll need a new $3000 battery pack so priuses have no real advantage. And yet a smart decision would be to buy a nice flashlight, but you don't see that in the general population.

shomie911

Enlightened
Yes people often don't do any research before purchases, few actually research purchases period. Think about how many people have sold their big suv's at a great loss to buy a prius. They've spent a ton of money buying the suv and are taking huge losses selling it, then buying an overpriced car, that although gets decent gas mileage, will more than likely never return the money lost. Even compared to regular economy cars priuses would need something like 10 years of ownership to save enough gas to pay for the difference in intitial cost difference and by then you'll need a new $3000 battery pack so priuses have no real advantage. And yet a smart decision would be to buy a nice flashlight, but you don't see that in the general population.

Plus flashlights hardly depreciate in value.

GeneralTsao

Banned

What you say is true but that is what drives the american economy, the ignorance of the Consumers and you can't blame that :whistle:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Meanwhile I spend 10 minutes or more looking at flashlights in any store I go to.

Some of those Coleman Cree lights at Walmart look pretty good. The headlamp looks good with a dial switch for two levels of Cree and 2 red Leds.

And the 2AA model draws me ever nearer...

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another +1 to research too. Whilst you must take advice from the internet with a pinch of salt, forums such as this are an invaluable source of research.

Last edited:

Till

Newly Enlightened
After two years of trying to explain the difference to my friends, they'll still go out and buy a $10 light and call me an idiot for spending $100 on one.

I gave up trying.

mwaldron

Enlightened
Some of those Coleman Cree lights at Walmart look pretty good. The headlamp looks good with a dial switch for two levels of Cree and 2 red Leds.

I bought one of these a couple weeks ago, it's the first headlamp I've ever owned. It's surprisingly useful even if it is as dorky as hell.

It's not particularly durable IMO and I added some grease to make the dial switch move more freely but I really do like it. It's not regulated at all, just wires contacts resistors and LEDs.

I'd love to see the same design with smooth ball-bearing dedent dial on it.

It's earned a place in my go bag and I'll probably get another for normal use. If I can find some lithium AAA's I'll probably get a 3rd to leave in my car (need the extreme temp performance in Iowa).