How did flashlights become your passion?

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did this become your hobby?
Well I dont like the dark very much, and flashlights are just useful, because its dark about half the time.

What are your goals in relation to your hobby?
To have fun, and to always be in-lightened :D.

If there were something you could change about the status quo, about how the industry is right now, what would it be?
I would love cheaper high quality lights, but you do get what you pay for.

What's the most you have spent on a flashlight? Will you spend more?
around $190, but if there was something worth more of corse I would pick one up.

Is this about survival, or preparedness in case of emergency? Or is it related to some other need?
Yes, its about survival, but that isnt the main point. The main point is I like lights, and use them on occasion, so its a worthwhile hobby.

Cool Torch + Cool Knife + Cool Pen + Cool Watch = Babe Magnet
He speaks the truth. ;)

TorchMan

Enlightened
Ralph,

I don't have much to say to your history, except... I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! :bow: :bow: :bow:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
farmersckn,

If you are still out there, thanks for the background info.

I have always liked flashlights.
Probably one of the first hints of flashaholism was that I used to wait every year for the Radio Shacks in my area to give away their free plastic 5 cell flashlights at Christmas. Then I would collect coupons and go to the two different Radio Shacks in my area. They were actually pretty decent lights for being free promotional items. At one point I believe I had 5 of those lights.

How did this become your hobby?

Actually, most recently, it started a couple of summers ago when I purchased an inexpensive LED headlight from a local hardware store. That combined with a semi-shared passion with you. I love to ride bikes. As my moniker suggests I am into mountain biking. In my area I would rather put up with the rattlesnakes, bears, and mountain lions then the cars that you roadies have to deal with.
When I found this little 7 LED head light I was very impressed and called the company and told the owner I had an idea for an LED bike light. He liked the idea and it just so happened one of the manufacturers he was dealing with was wanting to change the design of one of their bike lights at the same time. They also liked my idea. The only problem is that after 7 generations of prototypes I told this person to can the project because this particular manufacturer just could not get one problem fixed without creating another. Now the rest of the industry has started to take interest in LED's for bike use. I have since come up with another design he will present to the manufacturer of his flashlights (Non CPF, but designed to be inexpesive decent quality hardware store LED flashlights that can retail for under $25). My idea is just for an inexpensive backup light for endurance riders or commuters. Throughout the prototyping process I had to get familiar with LED's, build light testing aparatuses, get a good light meter and a decent multimeter, write accurate evaluations of the prototypes, etc.
All of this was to be able to explain to the manufacturer how I knew what was and was not wrong with the different lights. During this time the business owner regularly started asking me to test different lights he was considering selling. He is strictly a wholesaler(primarily to small retail hardware stores chains) so the lights he sells need to be decent quality and have minimal returns. I have done this mostly as a favor. As time went on I started to amass a collection of neet prototypes. (By the way, some of the different Chinese 1 watt LED's are getting really nice.)

What are your goals in relation to your hobby?

To become rich and take over the world by putting mind control chips in every flashlight I touch. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Actually flashlights are a fun diversion from the kaos of daily life.

If there were something you could change about the status quo, about how the industry is right now, what would it be?

I would make it illegal for monster companies to sue the innovative little guys for all manner of dubious reasons when in reality they are afraid of the little guys innovations and unwilling to change themselves. :tsk::tsk::tsk:

What's the most you have spent on a flashlight? Will you spend more?

How about the most I spent on a cheap flashlight, around $500.
I drove to the Northern California get together, in July, with a Salad my daughter (Le Cordon Blue trained) prepped for me so I could get a free Nuwai .5 watt flashlight for bringing a dish. Actually I wanted to see the area and AmondoTech (very impressive operation) too. Also I met Modamag and he modded my Elektrolumens Quad bike light for me to have two power levels. Wayne was going to do that this summer, but had to move to Oregon. Modamag stepped in and helped me out. Thanks again Modamag :bow: :bow: :bow:

Is this about survival, or preparedness in case of emergency? Or is it related to some other need?

All of the above + lights are fun :D

Two examples
1. The great positive people that can be met at CPF and at get togethers like the one mentioned above fulfill an innate need most people have for community in our increasingly fragmented and alienated society.
2. This summer we were camping with several families. One young and very incredulous daughter (around 7 years old) of one of my wife's and my friends , was going around asking questions about nearly everything and believing almost nothing.

I finally silenced her by saying on a particularly bright and sunny day.
Do you know I have the light of the sun in my pocket?
The immediate and authorative answer was no you don't, that is impossible!
So I pulled out my U binned Orb Raw and shined it toward her face from about 3 feet away.
Not at her eyes, just toward her face.
Her jaw dropped, she became silent for the first time in days and walked away totally amazed and mystified. :hahaha:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got shot. Fortunately, the bullet was a paint-filled Simunition and I was on a training exercise. I figured I should learn why I got shot and how to avoid getting shot (especially with real bullets) in the future.

At the time, I was trying to clear a dark room of threats using a cheap $1.99 flashlight loaned to me for the exercise. All it did was serve as an aiming point for the "bad guy." It didn't light up jack.

I decided that a flashlight might actually save, or cost me, my life--it's a practical hobby. Some of my coworkers have been lost, injured, and in a couple of cases, killed in accidents running around in the dark. My first Surefires were the M6, M3, and C2. I used my Costco HID tonight on a customer.

In addition to lighting equipment, I'm interested in night vision equipment which we also use.

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
As with many, I grew up with an interest in electronics and flashlights. I have had many throughout my 29 years on this planet.

Eveready "Economy" (Several of these)
Duracell Durabeam 2AA
Rayovac Workhorse 2AA (still have the body of one)
several metal versions of the Eveready economy
several Garrity Life Lights
several doctor-style/open wide penlights (opened one up once to see inside)
EternaLight (put it down on a shelf in a store and it got swiped :( )

Currently have:
LED Lights:
Dorcy Cool Blue
Dorcy Super 1-Watt 3AAA Luxeon
Dorcy Super 1-Watt 3D Luxeon
2 Inova X5s (white and blue)
unknown brand 8-led light (purchased at a flea market in Ohio)
Inova Photon Microlight (blue)
LED Club Keychain Flashlight (blue)

Non-LED
Coleman WideBeam
Coleman 2million CP ;) spotlight with path light
Coleman Graphite 2D
Duracell Flip! 2C
Brookstone headlamp
Brookstone DualBeam

What I'd like to have:
LightCannon HID
SureFire U2 Ultra
Inova X5T

(not really a flashlight but) the ProMetric system

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid my family was struggling to make ends meet, and my parents didn't have enough money to buy me a MAglite 3D that was sooooo shiny and cool...

So 21 years later, my pursuit is to make the brightest 3D maglite that money can't buy...

Nick

randman

Banned
I had to learn the hard way. I live in a rural area.

1. Once my cheap light went dead miles away from my truck while hunting.
2. Once while scouting for deer I got lost. The cheap light went dead and I stayed overnight in briar patches trying not to freeze to death.
3. Once I was taking a innocent boat ride down stream on a river at 1 pm. the boat motor died. I had no light. Walked five miles to boat launch soaked, frozen, hungry, and had more cuts than ....well bunches.
4. One night something went bump bump by the back door. My two year old daughter opened the door to pet the nice fuzzy (rabid) opossum eating the dog's food. I had just enough time to blind the critter with the e2e, push the girl back from being bitten and blast it to bits with a handgun. Good thing I read so much about EDC.
5. I love shooting varmints (coyotes) at night. Nothing like calling them in close, then flipping on one million candlepower with your rifle ready.

It must be dependable and bright. When you go deep in the woods, how much is your health worth or one trip to the hospital going to cost you? I can answer the emergency trip cost; could have bought a beast instead.

Did I mention I get lost a lot hiking? Be prepared.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
farmersckn said:
Greetings CPF readers,

• How did this become your hobby?
    - Love to collect lotsa stuff... previously shoes, tees, coins, toys... so flashlights became the next thing. They're pretty useful too, and some are beautiful works of art. It's natural to be attracted to the light too.... (like a moth?? hee) The chase for more lumens begins!
  • What are your goals in relation to your hobby?
    - To obtain more lights; brighter, cooler, better and eventually learn to mod lights and maybe one day manufacture my own? Who knows.
  • If there were something you could change about the status quo, about how the industry is right now, what would it be?
    - Nothing much. Just keep on improving.
  • What's the most you have spent on a flashlight? Will you spend more?
    - $100. Yeah, will prob go up to $300. But can't see myself spending $800-2500 for those 'superlights'.
  • Is this about survival, or preparedness in case of emergency? Or is it related to some other need?
    - Nah, it does help out for daily use, camping, car use etc.. but no special emergencies on my end.

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
As one of the first messages I read on CPF said, "Because they're shiny and bright and they eat batteries but they're shiny and bright".

• How did this become your hobby?
    I've always liked gadgets and gear. The darkness and having power over it. Staring into the fire. It's basic.
  • What are your goals in relation to your hobby?
    I want to acquire a good search and rescue light. I'm considering a U2, but it's expensive and not perfect, so I may wait for something better. The technology is always improving. If it wasn't, this hobby would probably stagnate.
  • If there were something you could change about the status quo, about how the industry is right now, what would it be?
    I'm British. I wish it were easier and cheaper and safer to buy stuff from abroad. Currently you never know if Customs or the shipping company will apply extra charges. Otherwise I'm content for the industry to develop naturally.
  • What's the most you have spent on a flashlight? Will you spend more?
    I paid about £95 for a SF L1, which I regret. The U2 would be around £220. I have the disposable income but I don't like filling the house with high-tech junk.
  • Is this about survival, or preparedness in case of emergency? Or is it related to some other need?
    Preparedness is a big part of it. Before discovering the new LEDs I stock-piled candles. Although to some extent preparedness is just an excuse to play with cool toys.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I paid about £95 for a SF L1, which I regret. The U2 would be around £220. I have the disposable income but I don't like filling the house with high-tech junk.

Sorry, this is a little out of point but THAT'S REALLY EXPENSIVE!! 8I That's like $660 S'pore dollars for the U2.

But I guess its relative to your country's standard of living. My friends in UK are always complaining how much food costs there.

a £5 MacDonald's meal (S$15!!) can get us restaurant food over here.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree with the CPF member who stated, early in this thread, that "the common link is that each of these things allow you to manipulate your environment." In my case, it's not a question of power, but safetly.

Professionals who study risk perception and risk aversion have defined two personalities:
  • A maxamin is someone who is willing to gamble a bit of his safety net for the opportunity to maximize his reward. Such a person might buy a lottery ticket; he's definitely "out" a couple bucks, but soon he could become a zillionaire.
  • A minimax is someone who strives to avoid the worst that could happen, no matter how high the "opportunity cost." If this guy wins big in his first outing at Vega, he'll quit while he's ahead.
I'm a classic minimax. If I'm driving to the airport and my exit is 5 miles away, I'll plant my car in the exit lane NOW--even if there's a slow-moving truck right ahead of me. Why? Because if I wait, I may be blocked and I'll miss my exit (and my airplane). A flashlight, then, is one of several tools that I carry to avoid the worst that can happen. Among the other tools:
  • powdered aspirin (BC headache powder) to improve my odds of survival and brain function if I suffer a heart attack or stroke.
  • a magnifying glass so I can read the fine print at the drugstore before buying medicine.
  • a compact 8-power monocular to see distant street signs or whatever.
  • a signal mirror in case...OK, this one is actually so I can be the hero in case a pretty woman needs a mirror. :)
And in the car:
  • safety triangles in case I hit a deer and my car is blocking traffic at the crest of a hill.
  • 25-foot 2-gauge jumper cables in case my car stalls where I can't pull over.
  • another flashlight, of course.

Last edited:

TheOring

Newly Enlightened
Being prepared for almost anything is my passion, actually.

But, you did ask about flashlights.

Anyway, when I was about 8 years old, I went on a long hiking trip with my dad (long=10 days) though the mountains. We were walking along a forest road, and get to this building. I think it was an abandoned campground or something.

It was dark and we were tired. We were thinking of stopping there and pitching our tent and resting for the night. Out of nowhere come a pack of about 5-7 dogs, barking and heading straight for us.

My little scout flashlight was pretty much out, as we had been using it.

Dad pulls out his flashlight. I don't remember the brand, but it was a 2D cell chinese flashlight of some kind, fairly bright as it had fresh batteries in it. Keep in mind that this was early 80's.

Anyway, dad picks out who the leader of the pack was and shines his flashlight right into his eyes, and draws his knife. We walk slowly along the road.

The dog pack leader is blinded by the light, and slows his charge, then stops. The other dogs follow him and they also stop in their tracks. We slowly walk away, unharmed, after what seems like an eternity. Without that flashlight, we may not be here today.

I've had numerous flashlights since then. Mostly mag lights of some kind. I found this forum a few weeks ago. Never really believed that there were people like me out there until now. My mom and friends had always wondered why I always had flashlights sitting around. My old man was/is always prepared. I see no reason to not be like him.

TBY

Newly Enlightened
When I was a little kid, I used to go camping and fishing with my father. That's how it all started for me. I also had an attraction to gadgets, tools, and weapons. Years and years later, these are the things that still interest me. I guess I'm still a kid at heart.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
For me, it started with getting a multipurpose tool set with two crap flashlights and a lighter which all broke in 2 weeks, I was replacing them and got a streamlight keymate, and that was the beginning of that.:)

cosine

Newly Enlightened
I ran across this site and learned how cool flashlights could be. :naughty:

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I'm sorry, I don't know what you are talking about. I thought everyone had over 1500 bucks worth of flashlights kicking around the house. :naughty:

maka

Newly Enlightened
indeed i began to have the obsession for all things bright when i was little i remeber this fisher price light that had white beams and green and red lenses interchangable with a flick of a switch is was fantastic. a 2 D cell battery job, then came the thomas the tank light which projected the locomotives happy face on to a wall.. sheer class.

these days im more of your LED guy, small compact and bright, my single LED beam torch i aquired makes a good job of getting the key hole found on a dark night

warmo

Banned
for me i was a girl guide at the time and found that being outside camping i needed a flashlight to help me see in the dark, as silly as it sounds i think that they are probably one of the best inventions ever! if it werent for torches we would never be able to see in the dark and things like saving people in the dark would certainly be a challenge.

maka

Newly Enlightened
i have indeed saved a life, someone i knew fell into a river and it was due to having a head worn light i managed to see what the hell was going on asses the situation and muster help. im not kinda saying things and brownnosing flashligts but they helped a lot on a other wise dark night.

warmo

Banned
ive never had to save a life but i remember the fasination with torches whilst i was a girl guide, we used to spend hours each night playing with them thats for sure! it was a good way to pass the time