How do you track your flashlight collections?

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I've also started a spreadsheet, I think mainly to convince myself I really don't need to buy too many more. I made the same decision not to include prices.

I like the idea of including location, btw.

Something this listing started me doing: following good databasing practice, I started giving my lights unique names. Actually, the cheap stuff gets numbers, the good lights get names: Mulder, Scully, Bauer, Buffy, etc.

I'll definitely never keep track of the prices because if I ever added them up, I might have to admit to the addiction.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Interesting to see that I'm not the only that tracks this kind of info on an excel spreadsheet. I initially started the spreadsheet in 2004 to track my flashlight spending and to correlate with my paypal account records since the sole reason I started a paypal account was to buy stuff on this forum. To this day, I still don't have an eBay account. :crackup:

Anyway, mine is more general and messy because I was/am using it to track my paypal spending, so every little LED, UCL, reflector, battery, flashlight, etc is on it, which makes it kind of messy and hard to find actual flashlights in the spreadsheet. My column headings are "description, qty, price USD, price CAD, unit price CAD, exchange rate, date, notes".

One thing I do to help quickly identify stuff on my chronologically sorted spreadsheet is to use a coloring scheme in the Description. e.g. all my emitter/LED purchases are in yellow text on gray background, reflectors are gray text on white background, surefire stuff in orange text, Arc stuff in dark green text, etc.

It's kind of interesting to see my progression in spending on this hobby and what I've bought over the years. My very first paypal transaction and flashlight related purchase was 2 SMD+ kits from lambda, an old member that used to be on here for $25 USD each in Aug 2004. These were low-dome lux1 mini-mag drop-ins, kind of like a cheaper alternative to the sandwiches from the Shoppe. My first bare LED purchase was a week later from Fred, aka PhotonFanatic for 2 Lux3 TX0K emitters for $16.50 USD each. He used a different CPF handle/alias back then, which I can't remember what it was anymore, only that it had some zeroes in it. Ahhh... the nostalgia... :D

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a spreadsheet as well: brand/maker/modder, model, driver, Vin range, LED/bulb, collameter, switch, material/finish and mods.

I wish I would have kept track of dates of acquisition, but I can probably dig that info up for most of the collection.

My wife's been encouraging me to include price/value ("for insurance"), but I've been dragging my feet. I don't really want to know how much I've spent.

Last edited:

kavvika

Enlightened
An Excel spreadsheet is a great idea! Time to go through my paypal history and record all my light purchases. Anyone care to post a screenshot of part of their spreadsheet so I can figure out how to organize everything? I was thinking a column for "purchased new or used" and then "CPF user purchased from" would be a good idea.

Robban

Enlightened
I must ask. How many lights do you guys have that you need to keep a spreadsheet for it all? :eek: It seems just a wee bit excessive to me. I only have around 20-30 lights but it's not like it's hard to remember if a light uses 123s or AAAs. As for price... well I don't WANT to know the total :p

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The number of lights isn't the issue. It's the number of details I want to remember about them. Identifying (unless it's an Inova) and looking up the specs for a mass produced light is easy. But, custom and modded lights are another story. If I don't document the details, I'll never be able to find a lot of them.

LightBen

Newly Enlightened
I just keep a handwritten list in a small notebook that contains many tidbits of important information and that travels with me wherever I go. I know that Excel is powerful and I even have formal training in using it... but I don't really like it (odd for an engineer, I know).

-Ben

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that Excel is powerful and I even have formal training in using it... but I don't really like it (odd for an engineer, I know).
Ditto.

And frankly, Excel is barely adequate for this task, but it's easy, and I've been too lazy to set up anything else.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I liked everything up until you said "shows you how much you spent a year"...I'd like to step on a rusty nail instead please.Hey...do you know my wife:eek:.Sounds like a smart idea,think I'm going to start one.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked everything up until you said "shows you how much you spent a year"...I'd like to step on a rusty nail instead please.Hey...do you know my wife:eek:.Sounds like a smart idea,think I'm going to start one.
LOL hey keep your spreadsheet password protected guys! :)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must ask. How many lights do you guys have that you need to keep a spreadsheet for it all? :eek: It seems just a wee bit excessive to me. I only have around 20-30 lights but it's not like it's hard to remember if a light uses 123s or AAAs. As for price... well I don't WANT to know the total :p
LOL you must be young. As you get older your memories aren't as sharp, and with family and other priorities it's easy to lose track of stuff (and you have more stuff as well). That's why for older folks like myself it's useful. :poke:

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't :nana:
if I do make the effort of keeping track my collection remorse will overwhelm me and that will prevent me from buying new lights for the sake of old ones...
putting anthropomorphic aspects on flashlights isn't a good idea...especially if theres a "community" of them in your home and invading your privacy every step of the way:ohgeez:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another spreadsheet here. It includes a column for tracking cost, but I try not to look at that one :duck:

Regards,
Tempest

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
How do you track your flashlight collections?

I say, "Wife, have you seen my flashlight?"

And wife says, "Wherever you had it last."

That's the extent of my tracking system. But seriously, I think I have less than 20 and I'm obsessive compulsive enough as it is; I don't need to make charts.:sick2:

My collection is small enough that I know which batteries go where and what not to do with them (another youngster with a good memory), but I have thought about writing special instructions on an index card and taping it to my flashlight maintenance box just to be safe.

Robban

Enlightened
LOL you must be young. As you get older your memories aren't as sharp, and with family and other priorities it's easy to lose track of stuff (and you have more stuff as well). That's why for older folks like myself it's useful. :poke:
28 and I hope my memory doesn't fade at the same rate my bold spot is growing ;) Maybe I should take precautions and get the list started before it's too late :eek: