How Full is Your Glass?

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
My glass is in a box and I won't know how full it is until I open the box.

What it the name of my glass?

archimedes

Flashaholic
If the glass is completely full, then something is dropped into the glass and submerged, the amount that spills out is equal to the volume of the submerged item ... EUREKA !

-- Archimedes of Syracuse :D

Last edited:

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Now now, if your being scientific, we can't simply drop a item in the glass..

We would have to place it in in a controlled and repeatable manner.

As drop implys any range of motions and the force can be selective, which could inherently lead to splashing and spillage, therefore "Dropping" the object in is now a unpredictable variable in the experiment, for which we would have to account for in our results, thus leaving some margin of erorr and uncertainty in out conclusions.

We can't used such methods unless we devise a controlled repeatable circumstance with minimal variables that can be accounted for and thus be able to discount these as outlier's in the results or taking these factor's into consideration when presenting our precise findings!

As it is we already have to contend with variables such as changes in media viscosity and density, temperature's and accuracy of measuring equipment, the list goes on!

Achhimedes would be very disappointed...

Er wut...LOL.

Taz80

Enlightened
I don't know????? my head's spinning too much from this thread. And well I think I might have spilled, at least I hope I spilled.:confused:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Good question. But I'm basically a pessimist.

For example, I don't like glass--whether it's half full or whatever--it breaks too easily. :)

The typical Optimist/Pessimist question.
Is the glass half full or half empty?

My favorite reply is
"The glass is twice as big as it needs to be" :)

However I was listening to a [Sir] Terry Pratchett Discworld book, unfortunately I don't recall the title.
He said [any error in the quote is due to my faulty memory, but the idea is correct] "What happened to my drink, and my cup was much larger"

So, there are two replies. What replies do you know, or can come up with.

​I can't see it very well, let me shine my light on it. Oh, it boiled away, it's empty now. Oh, the glass melted

Latest posts