How many lumens are you really satisfied with.

jugg2

Enlightened
At night outdoors when I am just walking around 40-50 is just fine, but I like to have the option of 100+ at night. Inside around 10 is just right.

Thats what I said before, but after careful consideration, I think I am going to build an ROP after Christmas. My EDC, a T-1 and P2D, is enough for any situation I will come across, but when I want to show off, never enough!:devil:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
are you sure youre a flashaholic? sure you can walk around in the semi dark...but wheres the fun in that? :nana:

anthing less then 100 on a 2xcr123 on hi is a no go...heck, anything less then 100 on single cr123 is a no go, unless its a longbow... :)

anything above 100 on a AAA, is a MUST BUY!!! subject to shipping charges

Crenshaw

I'm a semi-flashoholic.. Enough to keep me married, but with toys.

And I much prefer walking by the moonlight than wasting batteries. Besides, if I'm walking in the dark nobody noticed me, if I'm walking around in the dark with a bright light on, I can't see anyone else unless they're right in front of me.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Are you sure you are IN the woods? With a canopy of leaves or pine needles blocking the light?

My friends and I have done some testing ...

With a FULL moon you can see where you are going if you are on a path.

Some of the places where we hike the "path" is on your GPS.

So, the light is really to see things that hinder progress (thick brush, that little creek you are about to step into, that root that is about to twist your ankle, etc...)

Sure, path hiking can be done with a little keychain led ... but where is the fun in that?

Maybe you use LED lights in the woods? That will ruin your experience because of poor depth perception and poor coloration.

anyway...I too doubt your flashaholism!

:welcome:

Yes, I was talking about walking down paths in the dark. Not necessarily paved, or wide, or even obvious paths, but paths. Bushwacking obviously one would need a flashlight.

And yes, I use LED's in any light I actually use. I don't believe the hype about depth perception (it's all light...)

Don't need to welcome me, I've been here a lot longer than you :p

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
For reading something in the 30-40 lumens range is OK if the beam is floody and smooth and even. (Lumapower is good for those, M3 or even the F1; Fenix P2D Rebel 100 will also work great at med mode).

More general indoors, getting to 60 lumens is nice. Add an F04 diffuser to great effect.

For outdoors, something like 60-100 lumens can work for mostly close range, and then 200+ with a good throwing light to look ahead (OK, I just described the Fenix T1 which has these two modes! The McGizmo Ti-PD-S also works great for indoors and close outdoors purposes because of its overall useability and lovely beam).

For outdoors where you want a BIG light effect covering a big area, I now like a 600 lumens output with huge flood (Elektrolumens 3xD Maglite drop in module with 3xSSC Seouls and 3x20mm reflectors).

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also used to think 90 lumens was enough, then I bumped it up a notch to >500 lumens, now I somewhere in the range of >900 lumens and I love it.

I work outside at night, and I need to be able to spot damage at 40ft. The spill I get from my 5 Cree XR-E's is great to light up the entire area, ant the nice large spot does the job.

It's entirely up to what your use is. When I'm up close, 20-30 lumens is fine.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 lumens, or less to perform most tasks comfortably. General preference is for something in the 100 range.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the house at night...20 lumens with 200 a push away if needed.

In my dark store. 200 lumens minimum. After watching a scary movie and walking in my empty dark store...35w hid.

KingGlamis

Banned
I'm a semi-flashoholic.. Enough to keep me married, but with toys.

And I much prefer walking by the moonlight than wasting batteries. Besides, if I'm walking in the dark nobody noticed me, if I'm walking around in the dark with a bright light on, I can't see anyone else unless they're right in front of me.

Huh? With a bright enough light you can see anyone in the range of your light's throw.

So do you also drive at night with the headlights of your car turned OFF?

Point made.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Huh? With a bright enough light you can see anyone in the range of your light's throw.

So do you also drive at night with the headlights of your car turned OFF?

Point made.

Point missed.

Well, you sort of hit it. Yes, you would see someone in your throw. What about behind or off to the side? Are you seriously suggesting you're going to see better all around you with a bright light on rather than walking by moonlight? Unless you're waving your light around like a search beam, you won't.

I have driven with my lights off on full moon days for fun, but just for moments. However, there's a small difference here. I don't have to worry about other walkers hitting me at 45mph in the woods. Duh.

Guess what I carry when I'm out in the woods? P2D is on turbo in hand, ready to be turned on. Don't get all offended, I'm carrying a flashlight. Settle down, Beavis. Heck, last time I was out caching I carried my 4D TerraMag for kicks but just wound up being a pain. Can't stick that in your pocket.