How many lumens for a camping light?

Samy

Enlightened
Those drop-bears can be killers for sure. I keep a croc close by just incase they do come down from the trees.

I've just ordered a TK41 for this reason. It's only 800 lumens but hopefully that weak output will be able to cut it. I don't have the Koala problem at the moment, mine is more so a Bandicoot problem. You know how it is, walk out in your backyard late at night and if you come across one and you look at those bandi's the wrong way and they'll bite chunks out of you. Same goes for Sugar Gliders, if they're not sucking nectar they'll land on you and suck your blood.

A big buck Kangaroo also beat up my neighbor when he took the rubbish out last week.

Cheers

ASheep

Enlightened
....mine is more so a Bandicoot problem. You know how it is, walk out in your backyard late at night and if you come across one and you look at those bandi's the wrong way and they'll bite chunks out of you. Same goes for Sugar Gliders, if they're not sucking nectar they'll land on you and suck your blood.....

Mate, I take my M6 everywhere in case of bilby attacks! You can never be too careful! Those little suckers have really sharp teeth under all that cuteness!!! :crackup: If you run out of light, you can use it to bludgeon them! :crackup:

In all seriousness, My ZL H501w is permanently on my head while camping, it's just too useful to not have! When you need light, it's just there. I also have a "normal" light, long runtime on around 100 lumens or so, but High CRI (or at least Neutral). Outdoors you really notice the colour of your LEDs. I also like to have an absurdly bright throwy light (M6 w/Lumens factory HOLA), to really reach out and touch things.
(Of course, being a flashaholic, I have ALL my lights in my tent, just in case I feel like playing/showing off/signalling the space station)

Oh and for those of you who say headlamps scare off the ladies, if you're camping properly, the headlamp will be the least of your worries, its the unwashed undies that really gets them!!!

Cheers,
Alex

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its my first camping trip as a flashaholic. I'm trying to decide whether to take my Malkoff M61WLL for the long runtime or my Malkoff M60 for throw and having a touch choice making up my mind. What kind of lumens is everyone else running for their camping light?

Choice?? I usually bring 10 or more, go out in the woods and try them all. But if you want to be minimalistic, remember the golden rule: 2=1, 1=none, so bring both and buy one more.

If you're only going to use a light around camp for regular camp dutires, like getting fire wood and reaching for marshmallows, 20 lumens can be too much. A good flooder is always fun to have for camp duties (5-10 lumens is usually plenty). If it is one of those campings where there are other people around, you won't need more. If you're camping in a remote location, bring both and one more. I always feel more secure when I can check out what the unknown noises are.

then again, if you don't live in Australia, you should be well covered with your two lights...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
So your worst ennemy could be a curious black bear and these guys are not very brave. I'd definitely say bring both lights just in case, and make sure you eat and keep your food outside the tent (they tend to steal people food sometimes). If they hear you move they're definitely not likely to come close, but I know a guy near Ottawa who had two curious cubs run towards him (daytime encounter). He was looking for fire wood along the path and when he turned to get back to camp he saw the cubs , who then got curious and started walking to him fairly fast. I forgot to mention this guy is scared of bears like crazy, so he ran over a kilometer back to the bridge (away from his camp and his buddy.) He waited there for a good hour and walked very slowly and silently back to camp and never saw a bear again.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
So your worst ennemy could be a curious black bear and these guys are not very brave. I'd definitely say bring both lights just in case, and make sure you eat and keep your food outside the tent (they tend to steal people food sometimes). If they hear you move they're definitely not likely to come close, but I know a guy near Ottawa who had two curious cubs run towards him (daytime encounter). He was looking for fire wood along the path and when he turned to get back to camp he saw the cubs , who then got curious and started walking to him fairly fast. I forgot to mention this guy is scared of bears like crazy, so he ran over a kilometer back to the bridge (away from his camp and his buddy.) He waited there for a good hour and walked very slowly and silently back to camp and never saw a bear again.

Yes the fenix TK41 should keep the bears running. If not my Ithaca M37 should do the trick :naughty:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the fenix TK41 should keep the bears running. If not my Ithaca M37 should do the trick :naughty:

Let me know how that works out :devil:. I was certain my TK40 would be a great bear deterrent when I got it, but never got around to try it out.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think when you're out camping, there's so little ambient lighting and your eyes so night adjusted, that anything brighter than 200 lumens for the around the camp stuff would be hurt your eyes. I like to bring out my nailbender sst50 (good all purpose light) in a p60 host and I always find myself using low for around the camp stuff, medium for night walking the trails, and only use high if I need to see far away. So for your question, I think the WLL will be more than sufficient for around the camp, but if you need distance, then obviously the M60 is the choice.

Having said that, there's always four lights I bring, my 30 year old coleman gas lantern (because there's just something about the glow of the mantles and the hiss of the gas that adds to the camping experience), a headlamp (because having 2 hands is better than one for around the camp tasks like cooking, cleaning, etc.), a P60 host housing my NB sst-50 or Oveready Triple XPG (depending on what I feel like bringing), and a bunch of firewood (because that is what makes camping... camping).

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...two curious cubs run towards him (daytime encounter). He was looking for fire wood along the path and when he turned to get back to camp he saw the cubs...I forgot to mention this guy is scared of bears like crazy, so he ran over a kilometer back to the bridge...

I think your buddy did the right thing. The mama bear would not be amused if she saw her cubs with your buddy.

I had an encounter I wrote about that included a dog, my wife, and a turbo headed 9P with a MN16 lamp. This dog charged my wife one night and I got in-between them and tracked him with my beam in his face all the way in. The 1st thing he did was lick my flashlight! I wouldn't count on a flashlight deterring wild life.

I always bring a few candle powered hurricane lanterns. I have one that houses 3 candles in spring loaded tubes and a few single candle models. That really sets the mood. I find gas lanterns to bright for my tastes. And I really think there should be a 10pm curfew on there use at full power. The darkness should be enjoyed.

Let us know what you take and how it work for ya!

Last edited:

whetrock

Newly Enlightened
In a camping light I'd be willing to sacrifice lumens for burn time my camping light would be my cheap but reliable Streamlight Propolymer it has a decent ratio between burn time and output for me and is very lightweight also the fluorescent yellow color makes it easy to spot in low light conditions.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your buddy did the right thing. The mama bear would not be amused if she saw her cubs with your buddy.
[...]

oh, he knows he did the right thing, but I should have mentioned that he was shaking like a leaf the whole hour he sat on the bridge. I think the only reason he went back to the campsite was because it started getting dark and he didn't have a light. Everytime I tell him I went camping he asks me if I saw any bears... and I laugh cause I know why he's asking.

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
My advise based on my own camping experience is that you must have the option of long-runtime for low brightness. i'd be looking at 24-hours constant as a minimum burn time.

i'd recommend also having the option of high-brightness but it's nowhere near essential.
When someone asked this on my home-forum i recommended them a Solarforce L2r w/ the 0.8-4.2v "Runtime-King" dropin that they sell. allows the use of Eneloops and Alkaline AA's which are nice and ubiquitous. i wonder how much light you'd get out of the combo on "max" but it should still work well on low i think.

Cheap too! :D

JOHNNY-FLASH

Newly Enlightened
Its my first camping trip as a flashaholic. I'm trying to decide whether to take my Malkoff M61WLL for the long runtime or my Malkoff M60 for throw and having a touch choice making up my mind. What kind of lumens is everyone else running for their camping light?
What ever it takes to keep Big Foot out of my camp LOL. Good old Maglight with a nice drop in , works for me.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I'm also camping in Northern Ontario two weeks from now (Kiosk, Algonquin). I'll be bringing a green lithium glotoob for lighting up my tent, and for general activities my HDS Tactical 170 -- programmed to give me the super low, a medium low, and the blast high (for fun and nothing else really...).

As a backup to all, I'll be bringing my Surefire LX2 -- it's not a floody light, but it still serves a purpose and it's reliable as all hell, and DOES have a low if needs be.

Take it from an experienced camper though -- you'll find that for practical purpose, you'll never find yourself reaching for high -- rarely anyway, but it is good to have available. i.e., bears, wolves, etc.. (ok, the wolves never come close... lol)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I barely ever use more than 5 lumens when camping. Speaking of Big Foot, I heard a deep stomp noise on two occasions, which was most likely a moose. They're not dangerous off-season, but I definitely prefer to be able to spot them if need be so I don't get too close.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Are there going to be other campers around?

200+ lumens is way too much for nighttime around a campground with other people.

I usually take 3 lights. A floody headlamp, H501. A handheld, 6PX Pro. And a backup, Preon 2.

If someone shines a 200+ lumen light at my tent at midnight, I'm liable to go out and kick his ***. Decency at camp grounds = low lumens and pointed at the ground. It's as bad as muzzling people with a firearm.

Save the main light for the trail and emergencies.

Some of us go camping/hiking to get away from bright lights and light pollution. Noting worse than some ******* shining his overly bright light in your eyes while you're looking up at the stars.

I agree though, take one nice bright one :)

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
My advise based on my own camping experience is that you must have the option of long-runtime for low brightness. i'd be looking at 24-hours constant as a minimum burn time.

i'd recommend also having the option of high-brightness but it's nowhere near essential.
When someone asked this on my home-forum i recommended them a Solarforce L2r w/ the 0.8-4.2v "Runtime-King" dropin that they sell. allows the use of Eneloops and Alkaline AA's which are nice and ubiquitous. i wonder how much light you'd get out of the combo on "max" but it should still work well on low i think.

Cheap too! :D

I agree that low output and long runtime are the key--and for a "high" option you don't need more than 100-150 lumens.

I would LOVE to find a P60 "runtime king" drop-in that would give 12-18 hours or more runtime...especially if it fit in an SC1.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Safety concerns aside, I like the 'less is more' approach.

1 floody headlamp as the primary camp light.
HDS 170T or SF E1L as the primary hand held.
McG Sapphire as a backup
Coleman two mantle white gas lantern goes along if weight is not a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
I agree that low output and long runtime are the key--and for a "high" option you don't need more than 100-150 lumens.

I would LOVE to find a P60 "runtime king" drop-in that would give 12-18 hours or more runtime...especially if it fit in an SC1.

I'm not sure if these links are allowed, if not, mods please feel free to remove them:
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=207
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=36

both claim to run for more than 30 hours on a 18650 and about 15 on a single CR123A :)

BIG45-70

Enlightened
My Elzetta with a Malkoff m61wll and high low tailcap will do 80 lumens for 10 hours or 20 lumens for 40+ hours. I should be good for runtime.

Elzetta and TK41 it is! As long as I don't have a new light by August that throws a wrench into my choices