How reliable is a MiniMag?

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I don't know what the long-term reliability of a 2 AAA Mini-Mag - I've only had mine since 1998. The 2 C cell car glove compartment light is on its...4th? 5th? car, now. The 2-C length is perfect to wedge between the seat and the brake pedal for checking the brake lights, too.

Bill

ericjohn

Enlightened
Well I bought my first Mini Maglite when I was 18 going on 19 (December 2005)...I was going on a boating adventure with my friend after mid term exams the next day. I had only started EDCing earlier that year (cheap chinese made led 3AAA models). Before then I did not realize that Maglite was made in the USA. It was on sale at wally world for $7 and something cents. I looked at it and read that it was American made. I made up my mind to buy it and was very satisfied. When I got home, I ditched the Duracells that originally came with it and put in some Rayovac NiMH AA's. I was amazed at the brightness it gave off. I quickly became attached to it. In fact this was the infamous flashlight lost in the sofa during a thunderstorm when I mistook a freight train for a tornado. As far as battery life it was decent, I used 2.5 amp rechargables which lasted forever. Bulb life lasted from December of 2005 until May 2006 (that's pretty good considering it was used every day and over driven on rechargeable batteries). Ironically the bulb burnt when another thunderstorm was threatening. My grandfather said the Cajun French word for "trash". I calmly took the spare bulb from the tailcap and switched the bulbs. Back to normal, not much came of that thunderstorm, but at least I was prepared. What I did not like about this light was, it got switched on and ran down the batteries. It did however give a "warning" of a warmness in my pocket to let me know it was on. Sometimes the tail cap would come unscrewed in my pocket which could be potentially dangerous if the batteries would come out and short circuit. The only other thing I did not like was that it would scratch and gash easily. Other than that, it is a perfect edc if you are on a budget. Plus it takes AA batteries, which are easy to find and affordable. I currently own the Desert Storm incan and the regular black incan...I also have a blue LED and a black LED. Cannot wait to buy the Mini Maglite Pro.

So answering you question; I would say it is pretty reliable, just don't let it get switched on in your pocket and always make sure you have a spare bulb in the tail cap.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Well I bought my first Mini Maglite when I was 18 going on 19 (December 2005)...I was going on a boating adventure with my friend after mid term exams the next day. I had only started EDCing earlier that year (cheap chinese made led 3AAA models). Before then I did not realize that Maglite was made in the USA. It was on sale at wally world for $7 and something cents. I looked at it and read that it was American made. I made up my mind to buy it and was very satisfied. When I got home, I ditched the Duracells that originally came with it and put in some Rayovac NiMH AA's. I was amazed at the brightness it gave off. I quickly became attached to it. In fact this was the infamous flashlight lost in the sofa during a thunderstorm when I mistook a freight train for a tornado. As far as battery life it was decent, I used 2.5 amp rechargables which lasted forever. Bulb life lasted from December of 2005 until May 2006 (that's pretty good considering it was used every day and over driven on rechargeable batteries). Ironically the bulb burnt when another thunderstorm was threatening. My grandfather said the Cajun French word for "trash". I calmly took the spare bulb from the tailcap and switched the bulbs. Back to normal, not much came of that thunderstorm, but at least I was prepared. What I did not like about this light was, it got switched on and ran down the batteries. It did however give a "warning" of a warmness in my pocket to let me know it was on. Sometimes the tail cap would come unscrewed in my pocket which could be potentially dangerous if the batteries would come out and short circuit. The only other thing I did not like was that it would scratch and gash easily. Other than that, it is a perfect edc if you are on a budget. Plus it takes AA batteries, which are easy to find and affordable. I currently own the Desert Storm incan and the regular black incan...I also have a blue LED and a black LED. Cannot wait to buy the Mini Maglite Pro.

So answering you question; I would say it is pretty reliable, just don't let it get switched on in your pocket and always make sure you have a spare bulb in the tail cap.

OMG! that is my experience exactly. I carried a minimag light back in the late nineties and the stupid thing would turn itself on and run down the batteries or the tail would unscrew and dump the batteries out in my pocket. I would have to totally reassemble the whole light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
IME the original incan Mini-mag has been reliable aside from the bulb failing on occasion.With the number of inexpensive LED drop-ins and low cost of the Mini-Mag I think it is still a viable utility light especially if your intent on using leak-prone alkalines.If the batteries leak and ruin the light you can probably still salvage the drop-in and the replacement Mini-Mag will only set you back about $8.Sure,there are a wide variety of cheap LED lights available but they are usually low quality and lack the accessories/spare parts available for the Mini-Mag.

Anaconda

Newly Enlightened
I've had a relatively fresh incan Mini-Mag fail on me on an overnight orienteering in the army. Granted, I wasn't even supposed to be having a flashlight, but I did and halfway through the night it died. And I don't mean the bulb.

Looking back at it now though, I can't help but marvel what the hell was I doing with only a tiny Mini-Mag, but this was in 2005, I was a lot more unenlightened and LEDs hadn't really taken over the market yet.

Line Rider

Newly Enlightened
I have about 8 or 9 Mini Mag lites. I haven't had the first problem with any of them. One of them I found in one of my departments spare cars that I had to drive while mine was in the shop. It does not have the a Maglite end cap and it scared up. I call it my Frankenstein lite.

LCT

Newly Enlightened
I bought one AA mini mag around 1990 after buying some mini mag copycats,these are very unrelaible.i use them on tour rides or night off road ridings and also camping trips. Other then the turn on in your pocket problem issue i find then the bulb life is just too short. I had two bulbs replaced so far before it was replaced by LED lights.
Till today it is still working fine!

jsalmika

Newly Enlightened
A 1990 Minimag 2AA/TerraLUX MiniStar2/Nite Ize IQ switch running on Energizer lithium batteries has been our most valuable emergency lamp at home partly because of the switch is equipped with a "find-in-the-dark" flashing L.E.D.. It's been used also in candle mode on several camping trips.

mini_maglite.gif

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I had one fail on me because it was far less durable than it looked. (And I don't abuse my lights.)

That was disappointing. But I've owned a handful of them since that bad experience. No issues. But if ruggedness is a must, I'd look elsewhere for a light running off of 2AA cells.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had some Minimags over the years. My first I i got about 15 years ago and it mechanism never failed on me only the bulb burned out several times.

Oh that were times when a Maglite was the brightest light on could get ;-).

rayman

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one fail on me because it was far less durable than it looked. (And I don't abuse my lights.)

That was disappointing. But I've owned a handful of them since that bad experience. No issues. But if ruggedness is a must, I'd look elsewhere for a light running off of 2AA cells.
What failed on yours?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What failed on yours?

The body.

I was swapping out the batteries and apparently applied a bit too much pressure to the hollow tube, using just my fingertips. Next thing I know, the round opening became more oval-shaped and the batteries would no longer fit inside the body. Needless to say, I was very surprised and disappointed. I'm not even a body-builder.

Latest posts