How to make unlimited DVD region changes in Vista?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have DVD's from both regions 1 (US) and 2 (Japan) but because of the region change counter in Windows, haven't been able to watch any of my domestic movies in a while as I don't want to run out of changes and be stuck in either 1 or 2.

Years ago I had a friend build a tiny program that allowed endless changes, but he said that it doens't work the same in Vista and hasn't been able to figure it out yet.

Please help me out, anyone! :candle:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This "feature" always frustrated me, and I really don't understand the reason for it, except to over charge some markets. I use Vista, but have never played a DVD on my laptop.

I wonder if using linux for this application would help?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It's pretty ridiculous that they do all they can to make things user unfriendly for us so that they can hopefully make a few extra bucks off each consumer.

I'm really hoping someone will come up with a simple remedy for this, but I guess I should remain open to other options as well... :sick:

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Actually the changes are limited in the optic drive firmware, it's not Vista's fault, or any other operating system.

You may want to update the drive's firmware to a RPC1 version, which then becomes a region free firmware. I've done it in my Macs.

Find more info here: http://forum.rpc1.org

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try make disk image onto your hard drive, then use virtual drives like Daemon tools which can set any region you want to the virtual drive.

At leas that's the case in XP.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think I need to try this when I'm more awake, and also when I'm at my computer geek buddy's house!

Thanks for all the suggestions and I hope that some of them can help others having the same sort of problems.

AnyDVD is one method we already tried and I believe what stopped it from working was the Matsushita drive that Fujitsu uses. It also refused to allow RegionFree from working.

ElectronGuru> I have lots of Divx files of my favorite movies already on the hard drive, but I want also to have the ability to watch borrowed movies from either country without having to do anything but pop in the DVD and watch. Love Divx!

IgorPorto & Jzmtl> I have no idea what either one of you is talking about but I'm really excited to see if it is any help to my friend in getting this to work!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the changes are limited in the optic drive firmware, it's not Vista's fault, or any other operating system.

You may want to update the drive's firmware to a RPC1 version, which then becomes a region free firmware. I've done it in my Macs.

Find more info here: http://forum.rpc1.org

Hi, I am still trying to work my way through the link you provided. I was wondering, if the regional problem is in the drives, and I don't want to fool around with firmware, is it possible to just have 2 X DVD players in a desktop, and set one for each of 2 regions?