Enlightened
-High pressure G90 (9v) lamp assembly
-Two unprotected 3.6 volt Litium Ion batteries
-and a Section8 CCU

This is what you get.

It will run for 20-25 minutes and will rival a P61 LA

Beamshots:

Stock G2 on left, Upgraded G2 on Right.

Hallway Shot Stock G2 on left, Upgraded G2 on Right.

And in case you are wondering what in the world the ring is for, I hold the flashlight like this (with a gun in the other hand)

Enjoy.

clipse

Delvance

Enlightened
Nice combo. Out of curiousity, is the G90 reflector optimally focused ? It seems the P60 lamp has a brighter hotspot which it shouldn't, compared to a well focused G90 LA. If you havn't upgraded to a glass lense yet, might be an idea to do so. Extended running of the G90 LA will warp the G2's plastic lense.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful about the current draw on those poor little R123's. You're probably pushing it a little bit.

Delvance

Enlightened
CM said:
Careful about the current draw on those poor little R123's. You're probably pushing it a little bit.

clipse posted that s/he was using the G90 high pressure LA. If so, it will draw either 0.8A or 1.2A depending on which version s/he has. Should be no problem for a decent set of R123s. If MP R123s are in use...even with the 1.2A draw, it's still under 2C. Just be careful not to over discharge the cells (or overcharge but even a simple DSD charger prevents that).

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good ideas for upgrading the old G2, but for an initial investment the G2Z would be a better start.

clipse

Enlightened
Size15's said:
Any reason why you use the aftermarket widget rather than a G2Z CombatLight?

Very simple. Because I had the G2. I didn't want to buy a light that would be perfect and still have a light that I thought was mediocre. So, I upgraded the G2 to what I wanted.

Delvance said:
Nice combo. Out of curiousity, is the G90 reflector optimally focused ? It seems the P60 lamp has a brighter hotspot which it shouldn't, compared to a well focused G90 LA. If you havn't upgraded to a glass lense yet, might be an idea to do so. Extended running of the G90 LA will warp the G2's plastic lense.

The G90 reflector is not really optimally focused. You can focus it better though. I still need to play with it a bit.

KDOG3 said:
Hey I like that grip thing. What its called exactly? Where would one get it?

I messed up. Its a Section8tactical CCS.

CM said:

Its drawing 1.2mA. I think I'm ok.

Delvance said:
clipse posted that s/he was using the G90 high pressure LA. If so, it will draw either 0.8A or 1.2A depending on which version s/he has. Should be no problem for a decent set of R123s. If MP R123s are in use...even with the 1.2A draw, it's still under 2C. Just be careful not to over discharge the cells (or overcharge but even a simple DSD charger prevents that).

Exactly. I have a DSD charger so no worries. As for over discharge, I do need to know what the lowest voltage that is ok for this cells are. (I know I didn't word that right) BTW I'm a he.

leukos said:
Good ideas for upgrading the old G2, but for an initial investment the G2Z would be a better start.

Again, because I had the G2. Instead of spending $70 or whatever it is to get a new light, I thought I would just upgrade my current light to what I want. I never really liked my G2 anyway. I had way to many problems with the P60 LA. I just never used it because I never trusted the LA. I've beat the snot out of this one and it seems to be doing good so far.

clipse

Delvance

Enlightened
Clipse,

With li-ion cells...they pretty much have nothing left at 3.5V but if you constantly run a li-ion cell to near full discharged, it will dramatically shorten the life of the cell. Around 3.7V is a good time to recharge. If you accidentally discharge too much, if the cell is is still above 3V, it should be ok. Very bare minimum of 2.8V iirc but i wouldn't risk it. I believe the DSD charger won't charge a cell that has been discharged too much, but i'm not 100% on that.

clipse

Enlightened
Delvance said:
Clipse,

With li-ion cells...they pretty much have nothing left at 3.5V but if you constantly run a li-ion cell to near full discharged, it will dramatically shorten the life of the cell. Around 3.7V is a good time to recharge. If you accidentally discharge too much, if the cell is is still above 3V, it should be ok. Very bare minimum of 2.8V iirc but i wouldn't risk it. I believe the DSD charger won't charge a cell that has been discharged too much, but i'm not 100% on that.

Excellent. Thanks. I'll make sure the recharge at 3.7 volts then. :)

clipse

davidra

Enlightened
"It will run for 20-25 minutes and will rival a P61 LA"

That's nice....but any reason you didn't just use the P61? It is focused perfectly, as you would expect. I have two G2's; one has a 3W drop-in, the other a P-61. I like both of 'em.

clipse

Enlightened
davidra said:
"It will run for 20-25 minutes and will rival a P61 LA"

That's nice....but any reason you didn't just use the P61? It is focused perfectly, as you would expect. I have two G2's; one has a 3W drop-in, the other a P-61. I like both of 'em.

I wanted rechargables. The 3.6 volt rechargables will blow the P61 lamp is short order. Besides, my newest lamp is now perfectly focuses anyway.

clipse

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the G2Z with the p61 lamp....damn that thing is bright.....just as much throw as my ultra stinger...love that light

Bryan

Enlightened
Maybe you already mentioned it, but where did you get your HP lamp? I'm having a tough time finding one.