I went fishing (long story)

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
It sounds like she is getting better, even if slowly. I'm sure she didn't get much sleep while living on the "streets," so she will probably sleep a lot. Playing is a good sign, as is the weight gain. My wife will be happy to know she is OK.:)

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
The saga continues:

In this chapter the story gets a little more convoluted. In order to maintain some clarity I think it best to start with an introduction of the key players. We have 3 cats.

Ruby is the cat that this thread is all about. She is the stray that I found when I went "fishing."

Ozzy is a purebred Korat. This breed is from Thailand. Korat's are a small breed, but he is very muscular and stout, he is truly a hard body. He has a short silvery gray coat like a Russian Blue. Shedding is minimal so if your allergic this is said to be a good choice. He sometimes yowls and "talks" like a Siamese. They are considered to be "good luck" cats in their native country. This is the second Korat we have had, and we have had good luck ever since getting the first one. So who am I to disagree? He was a Breeder rescue.

Then there is Cooter. We really liked the name Cooter when we named him until we found out it was slang for something else. (If you don't know, and really want to, google it.) So it has been modified to Cootie. Cootie is a big gray and black striped tabby. He was acquired from the county animal control.

Back on story.

So Ruby is feeling better these days, but she still has scaly skin and a poor coat. Her hair is slow to grow back and is coming in "patchy".

A few weeks back I was reading on another web site about a guy who had to bathe his cat as it had ringworm. This got me to thinking maybe Ruby does too. But I tell myself to quit being paranoid.

Then a few days later one of our other cats, Ozzy developed a scab on it's nose. It was just there all of a sudden. So off to the vet he goes. The vet walks in, picks the scab and cleans the wound. At this point Candy asked him if it was possibly ringworm. He grabbed his UV light and checked the now disinfected wound to see if it would fluoresce green. It didn't. He gave the wound a topical liquid to treat ringworm anyway, and gave us some to take home.

This is when my wife bought a flashlight! Well kind of, anyway. She bought the "Stink Free, Stink Finder" light at Petsmart. I think it was under twenty bucks. It features a 5-inch florescent tube black light on the side and an incandescent lamp on the end. The switch allows you to select the tube or the lamp. It runs on 4 AA batteries.

The output from the florescent tube is weak. It will fluoresce normally invisible spots on our carpet, toilet, and etc. from a maximum distance of about 18 inches or so. The incandescent light is actually pretty bright. It easily lights up a room, but the beam is really ugly.

We checked out all the critters and thankfully, no one was fluorescing.

Fast-forward a week. Ozzy's nose now looks fine. But now the other cat, Cootie has a suddenly appearing scab on his ear. We checked it with the "Stink Finder." Uh-oh, it fluoresces bright green. We treat it with stuff the Doctor gave us.

So now we are freaked out about ringworm. Research on the web tells us that it isn't actually a worm, but a fungus similar to Athlete's Foot. OK, that's a lot less gross. It apparently can be difficult to get rid of. Dip's and internal medicines are available, though they list some pretty bad side effects. Humans can contract it, though not that easily with proper hygiene. I now shower like I'm going on a first date.

This all started shortly after we brought Ruby in. Though she doesn't fluoresce under the stink light, with her skin and coat problems we are sure she is the carrier and at the root of this ringworm problem. So off to the vet she goes.

After examining her, doctor says that she does not have ringworm, that the other cats may have it, but they didn't get it from her. He thinks the timing is just a coincidence. He feels her skin and coat problems are due to her prior lack of nutrition. He said that ringworm usually shows up on the ear and nose as it did on the others and generally not all over the entire body.

So I apologized to Ruby for calling her "Ringworm Ruby". She took it well.

Fishing license, fuel, and vet bills well over $500.00.
New friend…Priceless.

I have to go check my head in the mirror now.

Last edited:

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update! Was just thinking about Ruby the other day but was too busy to post a query. Good to hear she is doing well.

So are you examining all YOUR appendages with a UV light? Nope, better not answer that.
eeksign.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tinea (the medical name for ringworm) actually is essentially the same as athletes foot, jock itch, etc.

I would disagree about the ease that it can be caught, though. I treat about 50-60 cases a year, mostly in High School athletes who get it from other High School athletes. I'm referring to Tinea Corporis, the kind you get on the body, not athletes foot, (Tinea Pedis). Many of them are Wrestlers, but I get a few basketball players and football players every year also.

It seems to transfer pretty easily to them!

Following severe malnutrition, it can take up to a year for hair and skin in humans to return to normal, I suspect animals are much the same.

Bill

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 18 year old cat had ringworm on an ear recently. None of the other 7 cats got it. My vet gave me a vial of topical Tresaderm for treatment. It takes a few weeks but worked great.
Sorry to hear about your 2 cats but it's good to hear that Ruby is improving.

Dawg

Enlightened
Terrific Thread and heartwarming story. I am glad to see other animal lovers here. My wife and I have taken in 4 cat rescues in the last 8 years. 3 of them were in the last 2 years. We also have 2 rescued dogs that love cats.

You are to be applauded for your act of kindness. Keep the updates coming, I am subscribing.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems like you had a good time, other than having to witness that injustice to that poor cat.

-David

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree with Dawg. I am really enjoying this thread and I'm happy to see other animal lovers here. (BTW, I helped a young little birdie out of a jam this morning. He thanked me with a beautiful song as soon as he was able to fly back to his perch in the trees).
:)

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
All,
I am glad that you guys are enjoying this thread. (I wasn't sure if I was being a bore, or if I should have just let the thread expire on it's own.) Sorry I took so long in this reply. I was gone this weekend. I took my boat over to the lake where this all started. I have a slip at the marina there where the boat will spend the summer. I actually did do some fishing this time. I harmed no fish in this episode. My friend Jerry got two nice Rainbow trout though.

Bill,
Stop it man! You are freaking me out! Though I know you are probably right as to the communicability, for now I prefer to believe that my odds of getting ringworm are low. Please don't confuse me with facts! Your comment on the hair and skin is interesting, as the vet never gave us a time line for when we could expect to see an improvement. I was expecting it to be better by now. I guess I have to be more patient.

Sunspot,
Thank you for the good news. Glad to hear the medicine worked well for your kitty. It seems to have worked ok for us on Ozzy's nose, and Cootie's ear is looking a little better, though it still fluoresces.

Photon,
I don't now for sure that it would fluoresce in humans, though I would think so. Maybe Bill will chime in on that. I know I don't want to find out first hand!

Dawg,
Thank you. And a big Thank you for taking in those critters. Two paws way up!

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
No. She is and has been inside only, as are the other cats. The dog goes in and out though, so maybe she carried it in. However she shows no signs of having ringworm.

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
One thing I forgot to mention in my latest post. Ruby has always had some nasal congestion. It got better when she was on antibiotics a while back but never really went completely away. Again we weren't sure if this was a cause for concern, or not. Lately it seems to have gotten worse and she has had times where one or the other eye gets sealed shut with dried mucus. Ruby is used to having us clean her face with baby wipes, as she can't eat or drink without getting it all over her face (due to her Persian features) so it has been no problem cleaning her up.

When we took her to the vet to be checked for ringworm Doctor gave her a shot of steroids and antibiotics. He said that if she wasn't way better the next day to give him a call. The shots did perk her up a little, but she was still congested so Doc said to bring her back in. Yesterday she got another combo dose, this time with a different antibiotic. We were given the same instructions to call if it isn't better today. We also were given a liquid antibiotic to give at home as well as some eye cream to use. She does seem a little better this morning.

He can't find any obvious cause for the infection. He was able to get a good look in her mouth this time and she doesn't appear to have an abscess as we had previously feared. Her lungs are clear. Doctor feels that her immune system is just not working well due to her malnutrition.

So it seems that her road to recovery is going to be a long one. That's ok. She is worth it.

One of Candy's coworkers asked if we had her scanned for a microchip when we found her. Never even thought of that. Too late now though. Even if she has one and someone lost her as opposed to dumping her, they aren't getting her back and they would have some serious explaining to do.

Latest posts