I3 NiteMax Experiences? Great device & only 449$?

conejo

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody experiences using I3 NiteMax? You can see it at http://www.usnightvision.com/USNightVision.cgi?ProductBrowser=DigitalViewers

This is the publicity: "The NiteMax Ultra is incredible, with bright lights lit up all around me, I was able to see clearly in the dark corners of a freight container" remarked a security guard working the docks in Long Beach, CA. "I feel much safer knowing what I am walking into, before I actually get there…" One of our customers reported that while using his NiteMax Ultra, on his boat with a 75mm lens, he was able to see other boats over 400 meters away. Digital Dan at CBS news recently coined the NiteMax Ultra as "Extraordinary" "This night vision device is hardly a toy: high-output LED's send out infrared light more than 300 feet. The digital chip magnifies the light and you can see remarkably clearly in low-light situations. I've used night scopes that cost $5,000 that couldn't produce such clear imagery as this one does." AND ONLY FOR 449$???

Please... I need to believe...

Frangible

Enlightened
Re: I3 NiteMax Experiences? Great device & only 44

Well, it's a little better than a Gen 1, but not as good as a Gen 2. As for the 300 feet figure, I doubt the IR illumination really does much beyond 30 feet or so from my experience.

The advantage to the NiteMax is that bright lights don't mess it up as much as an intensifier tube.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
mrorange said:
Sportsmansguide is blowing out the basic version of the Nitemax viewer for $99.97 if your a buyers club member...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=173613

[/ QUOTE ]

"Go BEYOND! Generation 3 night vision... at a Generation 1 price! "

Seems too good to be true for a little over a hundred bucks.

conejo

Newly Enlightened

This is the reply from other night vision forum. It is from the moderator. Any opinions...?

Couple of things to clear up:
1. Night Max (or any other digital device) DOES NOT amplify the light. It requires light, whether visible or IR in order to function.
2. The IR LEDs that provide the light for the system are extremely visible to naked eye.
3. The screen of the system illuminates the user as well as surrounding area, making this system as non-stealth as using a flashlight.