IDENTIFIED!! - 1979 issue LEO Code-4 Flashlight

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
A very good friend of mine retired from LEO service after 40 years on the force. :huh:

He quite generously gave me his duty light that was issued to him on August 15th, 1979. He got 20 years of use out of it before the switch had broken.

The light had gone through extreme duty over that 20 years and I can rest assured has directly impacted upon many many wrongdoers. :twak:

I NEED YOUR HELP TO IDENTIFY IT!! For the life of me I cannot figure out what exact make it is.
I know only that is it is a 3D with an unusual slide switch that passes through the body.

Lots of knurling
top.JPG

sideface.JPG

FOR POLICE USE ONLY
sidepolice.JPG

8-15-79

tail.JPG

Compare to 2D Mag
compare.JPG

It look VERY similar to this light which I believe is part of ABTOMAT's impressive collection.
isthatit.jpg

Any Ideas??

Last edited:

stefanj

Newly Enlightened
Re: HELP IDENTIFY - 1979 issue LEO Mystery Mag

Actually looks like a Streamlight product I saw one of these in action in the 80's (no it was not upside my head- but someone close enough to me) Not sure WHEN Streamlight started making lights- But I think this probably predates Mag Instruments. Cool light and cool history!

Mike 208

Enlightened

It looks like a "Code-4" flashlight, made by "L.A. Screw Products" during the mid and late 1970's. By adding 1, 2 and 3 cell extention tubes, the (3D) flashlight could be turned into a 4, 5, 6 or 7 celled flashlight (proper PR bulbs would also have to be purchased). The lights (actually the switch assembly, which is removable) were marked, "Police Equipment - For Police Use Only." The light can be used without the switch (a feature listed in the ads for the light) by tightening and looseing the head "in the unlikely event of switch failure." Two different reflectors were available (a "smooth" reflector for a "spotlight," and a "flood" reflector [which looked like it had several small mirrors]). The "Police" lights were anodized a dark blue color; there was also a "Fire Fighter" version (with a special "smoke cutter" lamp and "Fire Equipment - For Fire Use Only" markings) that was anodized red. I have heard of a silver version made for ambulance crews, but I have never seen any.

Hope this helps.

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened

That does help! Extremely!

I tried attaching the head directly to the body without the switch and... It Worked!!

All these years he thought the light was unusable. He never knew of that capability.

Very interesting. Thanks Mike!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like a "Code-4" flashlight, made by "L.A. Screw Products" during the mid and late 1970's. By adding 1, 2 and 3 cell extention tubes, the (3D) flashlight could be turned into a 4, 5, 6 or 7 celled flashlight (proper PR bulbs would also have to be purchased). The lights (actually the switch assembly, which is removable) were marked, "Police Equipment - For Police Use Only." The light can be used without the switch (a feature listed in the ads for the light) by tightening and looseing the head "in the unlikely event of switch failure." Two different reflectors were available (a "smooth" reflector for a "spotlight," and a "flood" reflector [which looked like it had several small mirrors]). The "Police" lights were anodized a dark blue color; there was also a "Fire Fighter" version (with a special "smoke cutter" lamp and "Fire Equipment - For Fire Use Only" markings) that was anodized red. I have heard of a silver version made for ambulance crews, but I have never seen any.

Hope this helps.

Dude that was awesome!

Did you or do you still own one?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like your friend may want it back if he finds out that it still works.

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened

I had already taken apart the switch and fixed it.
I do think I will give it back though. But it needs a massive overhaul.

I am going to install a Cree Q5 in it, and give it back as a gift.

Seiko

Newly Enlightened

That is a neat light. And a neat idea of tossing a q5 in it and giving it back!

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I have a very similar light(my dad got it at his office) and a Maglite's reflector fits it. If mine and your light are similar, then you can drop in a mag's reflector if the reflector needs to be replaced. Maglite's reflector is larger though and deeper.

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
You are correct. A camless mag reflector does fit in this head. That is good news! And means some drop-in possibilities may exist. May require some modification to the power contacts. I am going to experiment a bit.

I did notice the +/- contacts that touch the bulb had a very surprisingly dangerous design. When I remove the bulb/head, the center + (pos) contact springs upward and makes contact with surrounding the - (neg) contact. If batteries were still loaded and the switch ON, it would go... :poof:

contacts.JPG

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
After LA Screw Products, GT Price made the Code-4 with an improved switch. All the Code-4s I've ever seen have been from the GT Price era. I believe most of the LA Screw models has a shuttle-type switch instead of a clickie.

The light you circled in my photo isn't one, but I do have two. The shortest in the back sofa row and the red one on the windowsill. Both 2D. One has a sliding red night lens in the middle of the reflector, one is a Smoke Cutter with a glare lens.

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Abtomat, that's excellent info! I see that light now, in the back row. Thanks for pointing it out.

I really like the full knurling on these Code-4 lights. Any ideas why this is not popular on modern D cell lights?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does your tailcap say on the butt?

Full knurling costs more, marginally, and in police use sometimes made getting in and out of pockets or baton rings a pain. Other than that I'm guessing it's just not really needed.

Oh, almost forgot. As far as I know, Brinkmann ended up with this model Code-4's design. I have a couple that are similiar to near-identical.

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
You're right! Now I can tell it says LA Screw Products, then someplace, CA
and there's a 4 digit code I can't quite make out.... TE??

phisherman

Newly Enlightened
I have a code 4 flashlight also that is very similar (I think it may be newer than the one pictured) that charges from the tailcap, when plugged in. This was given to me by my uncle who is a deputy. The only replacement bulbs I am able to find are for the maglite 4 cell and they are very dull. the bulb is dropped into the reflector and held by a hollow threaded cap that holds it in place. I have been able to find the maglite 6v bulbs, but they have two pins on the bottom, and I need a bulb that is rounded on the bottom (idiot proof). Not to say I am an idiot.....Could anyone help me with some other options to get the most out of this great flashlight, without spending its value to make it operable again? Thanks in advance for any help!!

mgmmail

Newly Enlightened
Just saying hi....joined this site to find out about getting info on a 3D Code 4 flashlight that I purchased new in the early 80's from Cabela's....thought I had problems with the switch, which has now been fixed....there were connection problems in the head that I solved with some manipulation of the contacts.

Great light, still works fine....site helped in id'ing connection issue.....can't find out much about the G. T. Price Co....is it still around?