If you could only have one SureFire... E1B, L1, E2D, or C2 Centurion?

AMRaider

Enlightened
C2 w/ Hard Anodize + Malkoff would be my choice. That's actually the light I take with me when I walk at night ;). For having such a small diameter, the Malkoff's have incredible throw. However, it is a tad large for pocket EDC.. For that, I have an Arc AAA on my keyring. Cheers.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using it for camping then I certainly wouldn't want a C2. Too bright, not flexible enough and it's always nice to size down for camping.

The L1 would be my choice. I don't particularly like the UI of the E1B/E2DL (multiple clicks to select output level, high comes on first). As far as camping goes, less is more, so I'd rather have the low output of the L1 without having to select high output first. No sense blinding yourself at night trying to read something in your tent.

Regards,
Tempest

PseudoFed

Enlightened
L1. Plenty of light. Most reliable switch. One cell. If you want versatility with it, get the F04 diffuser with it. Slip it on, and it's a great flood with a great low and high.

superflytnt

Enlightened
If you're using it for camping then I certainly wouldn't want a C2. Too bright, not flexible enough and it's always nice to size down for camping.

The L1 would be my choice. I don't particularly like the UI of the E1B/E2DL (multiple clicks to select output level, high comes on first). As far as camping goes, less is more, so I'd rather have the low output of the L1 without having to select high output first. No sense blinding yourself at night trying to read something in your tent.

Regards,
Tempest

I've never understood why it's so hard for some people to put the bezel up to their leg to cycle thru from hi to low on these lights. You don't have to click anything (you can cycle in momentary), just do two half-presses to get to low while pointing it at your leg. If I need a level in a hurry it's usually high but YMMV, the point being that it takes all of 1.5 seconds to get to low with these lights. I'd think that you would be more likely to get zapped with high beam with the L1 by accidentally pressing a bit too hard while in momentary and activating high.......................

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Also meant to add, depending on how you hold and actuate your flashlight for practice with a gun, a shrouded tail switch, like the E1B or Z68 tailcap may not be best. For me, they are not good gun lights. I have the E1B and probably prefer it over the L1 for carryability and the lower low, but I like my L1 for early morning jogs, lighting the path with the low and ocassionally blasting with the high further up at bushes, fence corners, etc. with the very throwy high. The E1B/E2DL, which I also own are less usefull for this due to the high coming on first, having to click on/off etc. The L1 sort of uses gross motor movements more, and with its protruding switch would seem easier to use with a handgun grip.

superflytnt

Enlightened
Also meant to add, depending on how you hold and actuate your flashlight for practice with a gun, a shrouded tail switch, like the E1B or Z68 tailcap may not be best. For me, they are not good gun lights. I have the E1B and probably prefer it over the L1 for carryability and the lower low, but I like my L1 for early morning jogs, lighting the path with the low and ocassionally blasting with the high further up at bushes, fence corners, etc. with the very throwy high. The E1B/E2DL, which I also own are less usefull for this due to the high coming on first, having to click on/off etc. The L1 sort of uses gross motor movements more, and with its protruding switch would seem easier to use with a handgun grip.

The E1B has a protruding switch as well and you do not have to click the light to turn it on OR to cycle from high to low. It has momentary.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never understood why it's so hard for some people to put the bezel up to their leg to cycle thru from hi to low on these lights.

I own an E1B and have carried it for a good while in the name of giving it a fair try, and that is what I ended up doing. But what it boils down to in the end is that I don't want to have to start introducing such extra steps and procedures in order to make the light function how I want.

I would always advise someone to buy a light that, through its design and intended operation, is suitable and user friendly, rather than to buy a less suitable light and have to make it work for them.

For you, than might be the E1B. For me, that meant the L1. Unless you really need the high output mode to be the first thing you get when you turn the light on every time then I would suggest the L1. As the OP specified camping as one of the intended uses, I'm sure the low output mode will be more frequently used.

Furthermore it's a lot quicker and easier (for me, at least) to switch between high and low on the L1 than it is on the E1B. Simply adjusting the amount of pressure with your thumb, without ever taking it off the switch, seems a lot easier than multiple clicks and on/offs of the E1B.

I do like the clip on the E1B a lot, but to me a nice clip isn't a good enough reason to take it over an L1.

Regards,
Tempest

shomie911

Enlightened
Sorry to be a little off topic but this may apply to the original post too.

Can the C2 body fit 17670 rechargeables? And what drop-ins would work best with 3.7v?

Fooboy

Enlightened
I can't wait for the next gen L1. Maybe they will remove that resistor low for a LONNNGER Low runtime.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
The E1B has a protruding switch as well and you do not have to click the light to turn it on OR to cycle from high to low. It has momentary.

Superfly, you're correct. I've been carrying my E1B using the E2DL tailcap exclusively, so I forgot about it's original configuration! I still believe it's not a good gun light though--too hard to hold in a cigar grip without any knurling to speak of....

sawlight

Enlightened
Something else that comes to my mind, the C2 and M2 are so close with the options of L/O's available, I see little point in that decision.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone!

I found a E1B and E2DL at a brick and mortar store and I'm not a big fan of the switch. :thumbsdow Love everything other than the switch. However, because I already have a few Fenix L1D and L2Ds, they will fill the role of an 2+ mode EDC clicky and they swallow eneloops and AA lithium.

I'm going to get the L1 first, just have to find one at the old price.

I'll also get the C2 HA III and save for a LED drop in and give the DIY two level switch a try on the C2.

The only problem I now have is that I found some new A2's for $150 that are still unopened, maybe I'll get an A2 instead of a C2...
:hairpull:

Just wish I had more cash to burn on lights.

-Thanks

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
"If you could only have one SureFire....."

Doesn't that qualify as blasphemy? :nana:
crackup.gif

Bill

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened

So much for just one...

I have a surefire L1 and a C2 Centurion LED on the way.

I had some problems with one of the popular online retailers because of the recent Surefire price increases. To make a long story short I ordered before the price went up, but given the new higher prices at checkout. I'm not going to mention the name because I'm sure it was a honest mistake/timing issue. But regardless it was frustrating and they would not immediately honor the original pricing. All I have is a print out of the order. Oh-well, sh-tuff happens. I figure it's not worth my time to argue for the old prices, be sent to a voice mailbox wait for a call back, argue again, etc. I can make better use of my time and speak louder by canceling and finding another retailer. And, I found a great one!
-- ok, done with rant (sorry).

Because of the problem, I tried other retailers and found one that I will be doing business with in the future.

I have to put a plug in for the dealer that I have ordered from. I'm very impressed with OpticsHQ and the people there. I now have a new favorite dealer. I may have to try out some of the optics and eventually the TLS P60 drop-in and maybe the switch.

"CPF Specials" webpages/dealers

----------

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can never stop at one SureFire :eek:

Be sure to let us know how you like them once you've put a few sets of batteries though them :eek:

Of course, the C2 is much better in orange :sssh:

Regards,
Tempest