I'm more impressed with throwers, spotlights.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that throwers are among the most useful lights. Actually, pure flood lights are niche items. My earlier statements were specifically in regard to pencil beams. One of my favorite lights generates about 1200lm at 70,000 lux, with a large hot spot that illuminates everything out to 250 honest, range finder tested meters.

Having said all of that, most of this is about personal preference. I suppose I just don't like the close range effects of a 500,000 lux beam.

ven

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a real "pencil beam" thrower light. What is the one you are talking about?

What size light are you looking for, how many cells and distance in mind?

The tn42vn with xp-g2 does a pretty good job for more pencil beam(not having much bright spill) and 900-1000kcd. The latest BLF giga thrower out throws it, even then it has a useful all round type of beam with decent spill.(1300kcd)..............but not what i would describe as a pencil beam.

Keitho

Enlightened
I just saw the video from AdventureSportFlashlights on the giga-thrower (giggles), and was giggling myself the whole time. I'm not a big fan of throwers, but I'm going to have to exert some considerable effort to not buy that masterpiece!

Capolini

Banned
I have Two targets from 1500 yards to 1800 yards away, a water tower and a cell tower[over 1 mile]. Problem is my camera is not that good.

First a couple beam shots. Where it APPLIES,,,,,,The Utility pole is 300 YARDS AWAY.

TK61vn V4

TK61vn_.11.jpg

Turn in trail ~ 140 yards
TK61_VN_CPT1.jpg

Sycamore tree is 75 yards away.
TK61vn_V4_75_YDS.jpg

I think this is zoomed in a bit
TK61vn_SRT.jpg

TK75vn KT

TK75vn_KT_9.14.2017.jpg

TK75vn_9.25.2017.jpg

K40vn

K40vn.1.9.23.2017.jpg

U21vn-Tree is 60 yards away
TN42_VN_77_YDS.jpg

TN42vn TREE is 75 yards away.,,,I think it is on fire!

TN42_VN_75_YDS.jpg

140 YARDS ACROSS THE RIVER
TN42vn_150yds.jpg

K40vn

777.jpg

K60vn
K60vn_2.jpg

TN42vn
TN42vn_9.26.2017.jpg

I think that is enough! You get the picture! :D

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN42vn with the XPG2 dedomed option is the best available LED light with a pencil beam.

The Giga-thrower is still on the drawing boards and there will be quite a wait. Won't know yet what it will really do, but I am on the waiting list. It is HUGE, by the way, with 8 batteries.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
^^^

When it is available I am sure the GIGGLES[Giga-Thrower] will be impressive.

For me it would not be practical. I can not see me lugging a light of that size for Four[4] miles along w/ CAPO[My Husky] and at least 2 other lights.

Before I got my Holster for the TN42vn.TK61vn V4, I would use the shoulder strap, which the GT will also supply. It was a pain my ***,,,constantly moving whether I had it across my back or in front of me! I would have to adjust it every minute or so to stop it from sliding.

For someone in my situation[Dog/other lights/every night hikes] A solution may be to a bring a friend and have them carry it until One is ready to use it!:eek:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
What size light are you looking for, how many cells and distance in mind?

Couple hundred yards & bright enough to identify dog vs fox vs coyote. Thru the woods, hence need narrow beam or it scatters in my eyes.