In search of the Farthest Throwing Hi CRI Flashlight Stock or Modded

Zak

Enlightened
Then I don't think we disagree about the L2. Cool white for the original XP-L HI is one flux bin higher - 7%, so around 150 kcd. A low-CRI SST-20 would have more throw than that, but the high-CRI is going to be in the same ballpark since the output is lower. This is with the stock driver, of course, which offers good efficiency, no PWM, and the ability to use one or two cells. Giving up some of that for a current boost or a FET driver can increase output and throw substantially. I don't doubt the big numbers for a dedomed SST-40 with a FET driver.

Zunkted

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone who actually helped me find what i wanted. To everyone asking why i need a hi cri throw flashlight, why are you guys even on a flashlight forum and you're even subscribed members and asking a question like that? All of us on here all have flashlights we don't need or ones that don't even make sense to even have. I like Hi CRI lights and i wanted one that throws and when i use it i want to like it and i want it to make everything i'm looking at night better than the regular 6500k crap like i have already have.

I already was speaking with Vinh from skylumen and he recommended some of the same stuff you guys posted. The Sky Lumen Delta with the sst20 but then i questioned him if he thinks that it could reach 800m then he got back to me with another opinion and it was the tn40s with sst-20 but I wasn't sure i want something that big. But then i seen that he had a one-off k40svn with the samsung ld351d 4000k led in it and i asked him if i bought it if we could swap it to a sst-20 and he said yes. He also said that he thinks that it can reach or meet the specs that i needed which it awesome!!! I will get back with you guys on what the specs are after he builds the light.

I appreciate all the comments also guy's even the one's that questioned my wantings, lol. Thank you.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really wondering the application. If you just want it "just because" that is absolutely the only answer I needed to hear. Just never thought of or knew of reasoning for one out to such a distance. Glad you went with Vinh. I've owned around 15-20 of his lights now. Great guy and excellent modder!

Zunkted

Newly Enlightened
I was really wondering the application. If you just want it "just because" that is absolutely the only answer I needed to hear. Just never thought of or knew of reasoning for one out to such a distance. Glad you went with Vinh. I've owned around 15-20 of his lights now. Great guy and excellent modder!

Hey, no problems man. Yes, vinh is an awesome guy to deal with. He was very patient with me these past couple of days when i kept going back and forth with questions on the lights i wanted. Top notch guy! I pretty much go to his website when i want a different flashlight. All of the best flashlights i own are all modded ones from Vinh.

Zak

Enlightened
I have to say I've never once put a higher CRI LED in a light and thought "I shouldn't have done that because this reduced the output". I don't have a 90 CRI dedicated thrower yet - closest I have is an SST-20 in an Astrolux SS. I do kind of wish I still had my TK61, as it would definitely get an SST-20.

Zunkted

Newly Enlightened
So i got my k40Svn with the SST-20 the other day and have not had a chance to use it yet but the specs on it are 670 lumens, 210kcd, 916 throw.

Last edited:

Zunkted

Newly Enlightened
I have to say I've never once put a higher CRI LED in a light and thought "I shouldn't have done that because this reduced the output". I don't have a 90 CRI dedicated thrower yet - closest I have is an SST-20 in an Astrolux SS. I do kind of wish I still had my TK61, as it would definitely get an SST-20.

I wouldn't mind finding a TK61 to mod myself and try to put a SST-20 in it or something similar. I really want to try modding something myself so i can learn. I would know where to start but i'd be willing to do it.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
For those who ask "why", I ask "why not"!

Some of us might want all our lights, no matter how big or small, to be pretty and render colors well. You don't have to care but perhaps manufacturers looking for a niche dollar will.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to ask in all seriousness. What application is high-CRI needed at 800 meters where you can hardly distinguish what you are looking at anyway? This is a serious question, not sarcastic or belittling at all. Educate me.

I know the OP got the information he needed, but I wanted to contribute my own thoughts to what I think is a reasonable question.

I don't own any throwers, but my perception is that regardless of the range, high CRI helps me distinguish between similarly colored objects or more readily identify what I'm. This becomes more important, rather than less, under situations where it is difficult to distinguish anything.

Besides, just like I don't often use a floodier ~100m ANSI-rated light at 100m, but typically in the 1-25m range, if I had an 800m thrower, I'd probably mostly use it in the 25-200m range.

And of course, as cosmodragon put it, "Why not?" We're flashlight enthusiasts, after all!