Incandescent Vs Led

Incandescent Vs Led, What's your favorite?

• Total voters

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... as to the "topic"
(a topic that has already been argued over and over and over and over and over and over ... )

--> compare:
* number of posts related to led (led forums)
to
* number of posts related to incan.

got it?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
... as to the "topic"
(a topic that has already been argued over and over and over and over and over and over ... )

--> compare:
* number of posts related to led (led forums)
to
* number of posts related to incan.

got it?

yea pretty much, look at amount of people in led threads vs inc. that alone shows a lot, imo.

cpfyyz

Newly Enlightened
FOpxaqnl.jpg

Why the images? The point is that LED and incan are different. We're comparing motorcycles to cars. The last image is a subtle point. I hope you get it, but this will break your LED flashlight, forever, maybe all LED flashlights at once, and there's little you can do to protect it from ever present cosmic rays, but this will have little or no effect on an incan flashlight. edit: Because our atmosphere absorbs most x-rays and gamma rays from coronal mass ejections, sunspots, solar flares, and supernova, terrestrial electronics are fairly safe from these extraterrestrial and cosmic rays. The electronics in satellites are not protected if they orbit higher than Earth's magnetosphere.

This post made me want to go out and buy an incan.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Is that incan bulb really any safer than the led and driver?
Swap bulb vs swap driver... I guess at some point, those tiny champs of technology will be a commodity like light bulbs.
How about a faraday cage.
idk how to stop a gamma ray...
oh, yeah, Earth-sized magnet! Probably not a problem. Still, why do so many have SUVs and never leave the road? For that rough, urban terrain? For the same reason, I want a crank turbo-diesel... just in case of nuclear war.

Raphion

Newly Enlightened
Going OT now, but I had to pop in to mention that small systems like flashlights and individual computers would be fine even in the most severe geomagnetic storms. Geomagnetic storms cause damage to LARGE infrastructure, the power grid, ancient wireline telecom (fiber optic is immune), and metallic pipeline systems. Oh and satellites most of all ofc, a lot of those are even outside earth's magnetic field so they take on very high doses of radiation.

EMP bursts and gamma radiation from nuclear weapons is an entirely different matter, that will fry small electronics, and the gamma radiation will also kill you, so you don't have to worry about the electronics. EMP like that won't ever be coming from the sun though, and neither will deadly radiation unless the earth's magnetic field happens to turn off.

Now back to your regularly scheduled LED vs Incan wars.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I still like high quality hot wires but it's getting hard to find parts for mods and I worry that bulbs will disappear. Most of my lights are led because they are so much brighter per volt and with neutral becoming more common the color isn't so bad.

MMD

Enlightened
I have to vote LED. The reason being versatility of brightness modes. The E2e incan I have been using lately
is great but it leaves me wanting a low mode for close work. I can't wait to put my Tana Nichia SingLed with LuciDrv. It is fun using that stock bulb but I will totally geek out on programming the drop in. Now I can setup and change it to whatever I want.

Another point for versatility of the LED driver is the ability to use a wider range of battery chemistries and voltages while still getting the same regulated outputs in one light.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Old thread and even older subject but I went outside to try my Nichia 219 High CRI HDS and compare it to a Surefire E2e incan yesterday as I was interested in seeing how a brand new premium light would fare against an older bulb light.

Light intensity: The HDS was a bit brighter on full but with a smaller hotspot. I would call it a draw.
Light usefulness: The HDS rotary has fully adjustable output to suit all tasks, so winds this round.
Light colour: The HDS is 4000K, the E2e around 3300K. Not much difference in when used individually, together the HDS is seen as a bit 'cooler'.
Light quality: The HDS falls short of the E2e, with a less three-dimensional rendering which showed up when using it to light up my mint patch in the garden or frit in the bowl. E2e wins this round by a fair bit.

So surprisingly it was a draw - which surprised me somewhat as I thought the 219 equipped HDS would win every category.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the incandescent bulbs weaknesses are power consumption and bulb filament durability. If it were not for those I would have all incans in my stable as I like the foolproof tech, love the CRI. I could get by with 50 Lm or less so easily, :candle:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although incandescent light is probably superior in most respects I have to choose LED. LEDs are so much more efficient and are available in neutral-warm tints making them far more practical to use.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Although incandescent light is probably superior in most respects I have to choose LED. LEDs are so much more efficient and are available in neutral-warm tints making them far more practical to use.

Oh yes, LED is MUCH more practical, and massively more efficient. But its funny - the warm tint looks a bit flat when used side by side with bulb. LED Technology is getting ever better though.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes, LED is MUCH more practical, and massively more efficient. But its funny - the warm tint looks a bit flat when used side by side with bulb. LED Technology is getting ever better though.

Your comparison may be throwing things off a bit though. It would be better to compare a light with the same colour temperature and similar CRI. Your HDS is likely 4400K and 88 CRI nominal(according to HDS's specs) and your incan is 3300K at 100 CRI. I bet if you compared a higher CRI emitter(you can get 96 CRI+ now) at the exact same CCT the difference would be much smaller. Colour temperature alone can make a big difference. I have 2 of the exact same lights with the same emitters at 85 CRI and with the warmer one trees and foliage look much nicer imo and there only 1000K different then one and other.

Either way, LED technology is getting better every year so I bet it wont be long before they can match incans. But, there is some new incan technology in the works that could potentially change things soon too. The future of lighting technology is going to be interesting for sure.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
LED for me too, I grew up with incans and what has sold me more on LED than anything is the combination of output to runtime. you can get a 2AA LED light that runs circles around a 2D incan. I've had many incans that go from white to orange in output and the cost of batteries made you suffer with an orange light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

When the compact disc came out my friends all said "man just listen to all that treble"...plugging my ears I said "yeah I hear it"... that was during the 'bit wars' days where the companies were processing the analog signal 4x, then 8, the 24x etc. Seemed to my ears to be getting worse.
I bought an early cd player but when it played out I didn't replace it for a few years.

Enter the Yamaha 1x conversion that smoothed out all those square edges of the digital signal. Suddenly digital sounded pretty smooth. I bought one of those and life was good.

Well for me an LED is not dis-similar. But in this case Mr. Malkoff's versions were like that Yamaha thing. At least to my eyeballs. The warm was akin to an old rayovac with half dead cells and the neutral like when you put in good cells, whacked against your hand just right and got ya some good output for a while.

I still prefer vinyl using my bang & olufsen record player through an old Denon amp and Klipsch Hershey (furniture size) speakers though I mostly use cd's or mp3's on portable devices.

In terms of flashlights I still prefer the old incan beam but go with LED for most uses. I mainly avoided LED until last year.

After a while vinyl begins to make noise then sound like a fire place soon after. The incan bulbs yellow as batteries deplete and go poof a lot quicker than the LED. At least current incan bulbs.

So using either vinyl or incan to me is like lighting up a $25 cigar or cracking open an expensive bottle of wine... not an ordinary event.

But those whiz kids at MIT and some dudes in lab coats in South Korea are in the process of re-inventing the edison bulb in ways that already compete with LED for size and efficiency. I look forward to the next 5 years in regard to those possibilities. Heck, one version recycles it's own energy to increase the brightness with thoughts of the heat being used to charge batteries....

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I think a big part of the equation here is a PROPERLY DRIVEN incan. Regardless of lumens, a nice white incan beam is a beautiful sight to behold. Think JS's X-LOLA MN15 in a Surefire M6. Lumensfactory HO-E1R in an E2e with a 17670. Surefire P90 on 2xRCR in your choice of host. Just that slight overdrive brings the color temp up a bit, and all is right with the world. :) ( I like and use both... And hope to continue to do so!)

Minimoog

Enlightened
I think a big part of the equation here is a PROPERLY DRIVEN incan. Regardless of lumens, a nice white incan beam is a beautiful sight to behold. Think JS's X-LOLA MN15 in a Surefire M6. Lumensfactory HO-E1R in an E2e with a 17670. Surefire P90 on 2xRCR in your choice of host. Just that slight overdrive brings the color temp up a bit, and all is right with the world. :) ( I like and use both... And hope to continue to do so!)

I was just commenting to a friend yesterday about this great combo. Using a Keeppower charged to 4.3V the light quality is almost heavenly - pure white, no yellow, 100 CRI.

scout24

Flashaholic
Mimimoog- Member Outdoors Fanatic wrote of that combo, calling it the best "free lumens" setup for the E2e, hands down. Good color temp, flat discharge curve, and enough light for most tasks. Great runtime... I'm going to have to invest in a 4.35v capable charger. Which do you use?

Latest posts