Info on this laser

2vtx

Newly Enlightened
I ran across a z-laser optoelektronik model z3-12 red line laser a few years ago. Brought it home and it was put in a box with some other "junk" and stayed there until recently. After a few googles of both z-laser and optoelectronik I didn't find much on this particular model. So I figured if the folks in the laser forum at CPF were as educated about lasers as were the flashlight people were about flashlights, someone could help me out.
So other than some sort of alignment, what other uses are there for a red line laser? At the least, I was hoping I could use it as trade-in on a flashlight or two.:) Thanks.\

Steve

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
it might be 635nm, which is a less common wavelength, slightly more orange, like car brakelight red instead of deep dark red. 635nm is brighter per watt of optical power than regular red lasers at 660-670nm. Kind of like how a 5mW green laser pointer appears much brighter than a 5mW red one. A lot of stone cutting shops and places like that have machinery that uses line lasers as guides. Some use He-Ne gas lasers. This could be a cheap alternative to buying another $2k+ gas laser.
Tried to look on their site but had the same luck as you.

Edit: depending on how it is built, you may be able to replace the line lens with a regular lens to make it a regular dot pointer.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
it sounds like a familiar part #... IIRC is was off an older Mitsubishi or perhaps Trumpf laser processor as a guide to the laser cutting head position in relation to the material to be cut on the Y axis.

xxcat

Newly Enlightened
red line laser is widely used in constructions, laser scanning, laser level etc

2vtx

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure of the exact wavelength. The label indicates it's a class 2 laser though. I did find out it was used as a guide on a large saw for cutting laminate. Might look in to changing it to a dot pointer. Thanks for the info.

Steve

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened
check out laserpointerforums.com

They are the laser version of CPF, and I would be willing to be someone over there own's or has used one!