Infrared for night vision

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
I want an infrared light to use with night vision, and am looking for suggestions. It can be either incandescent, LED full-spectrum (with IR emissions), or IR LED. Obviously with the incandescent and the full-spectrum LED an IR filter will have to be available for the light. I am looking for something at least moderately durable, not too big (prefer something flashlight sized over spotlight sized), and with decent flood and throw. And, of course, cheaper is better. I am thinking about a filter for my AA maglite for $25, but let's face it, maglites are pretty weak. I would like to get a filter for my Surefire G2, but they cost between $75-100 and then I'd have to switch out my LED (unless it emits IR) for the P60 bulb.

So does anybody know of a good IR flashlight or a good flashlight with relatively cheap IR filters that fit it?

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Looks nice, but more of a flood light. There's no reflector to project a beam. I would really like both, but I need more of a beam and less flood, not the other way around. Any idea if this would be good for lighting something up at say 25-50' or more?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you already have a G2, I'd stick with that. For a discounted filter, try posting on the Marketplace, someone might be able to hook you up.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Problems with the G2 are that I'd have to switch out the bulb every time I want to switch between IR and visible light and I'd have to use the P60 bulb, which are not known for lasting very long, and are not exactly cheap to buy a spare/replacement of. It would be a great solution if the LED replacement bulb emits IR, but I don't even know which one I'm going to get to replace my broken one, much less if it will output IR.

katsyonak

Enlightened
Well, you can mod one yourself. I have moded an IR Elly some time ago but I'm not sure it will meet all your specs. You can also mod a 2C or a 2D Maglite with 3 of these LEDs and get a decent IR light IMO.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire is very nice, but more than I want to spend. If it were between that and a filter for the G2, though, I think I'd get the M1. I like the idea of the Elly, it looks like it has a good mix of throw and flood and it's cheap, but I can't find where to buy them.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I use a G&P infrared filter on a G2 with a P60 for my nightvision, in all aspects except battery-costs superior to a LED-solution. The G&P filter is cheap and you can get it for 20 bucks including shipping from Ebay. I used to have a milspec 880nM filter before, but the G&P gives more output and not much more visual signature when looking at it.

If you don´t like switching bulbs just buy another G2, it´s like $50 both filter and flashlight.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if any of the drop-in LED modules emit enough IR to be useful with the G&P filter?

DanielG

Enlightened
I've flown with and walked around on the ground with goggles enough to have a good handle on what works and what doesn't. I'm not seeing something in your post.

Why, specifically, IR? Do you not want others to see it? That would make sense, but you would be shocked as to how little light you need in the red spectrum to light something up to look like noon under goggles. Red is not picked up very well with normal vision so it wouldn't show all that well even in the darkest night.

Your whole idea of lumens and what is bright and what is not goes out the window. The AA mini-mag with a dark red filter is enough to see about three or four room lengths in detail.

Get two or three red gels for the flashlights you have, go to a craft store or an office supply store, and put layers onto the light until it's almost too dark to see, then try it with goggles on. It'll surprise you.

Scattergun

Enlightened
The LED-modules combined with an IR-filter is not a good option, basically nothing comes out:shakehead

The P60 with a G&P filter illuminates out to something like a hundred yards in my Gen1+ monogoggle. Useful light is thrown somewhere around 60-70 yards easily. I´d go with another xenon with a cheap filter.

Scattergun

Enlightened
And if you wanna maximize IR-emission get a P90 bulb and use it with two CR123... underdriving the bulb emitts more light in the IR-wavelengths.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Surefire is very nice, but more than I want to spend. If it were between that and a filter for the G2, though, I think I'd get the M1. I like the idea of the Elly, it looks like it has a good mix of throw and flood and it's cheap, but I can't find where to buy them.

Here's the Elly, and here's the IR LED. Total price, about $11.

If you want dual use, then a white LED would not work since, as other have said, White LED produce very very very little IR.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I now have a few different options to check out.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, well, I've been told that many times in regards to many different things, yet I've found that if you just do your research, know what you're doing, and shop around, usually good and cheap can be had together, and you can learn something along the way. So even though I understand the basis behind that "rule," I don't give much credence to it, and I don't forgo trying just because that's the assumption. Experience has taught me otherwise. And I'm not looking for something mil-spec, just something that will do a decent job without spending half a car payment on it. Anyways, I'm heading out, but I'll take a look at that link later, it looks full of useful info. Thanks.

Latest posts