Inova, Surefire, Arc, - need help - what to get?

Turt

Enlightened
Re: Inova, Surefire, Arc, - need help - what to ge

Well said Roth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LightScene

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
lightoftheworld said:
O.K., here is what I've narrowed it down to:
#1 An Arc LSH with the AA extension body, or
#2 A KL1 with a E2e or 3x123 body, or
#3 Streamlight TL-2

Has anyone used any of these combinations?
Thanks,
Shane

[/ QUOTE ]Among thses choices, the Arc gives you the best flexibility. You can carry it in it's 123 form during the day, and switch to the 2AA form at night, or anytime you know you'll be using it continually. The 2AA form is the most comfortable in use. But the 123 form makes it possible to hold it in your teeth for hands-free use.

In a recent, very long thread, about what people actually carry every day, the Arc AAA and Arc LSH were the most popular.

Part of your concerns with long run time can be alleviated by carrying spare batteries, rather than extended battery packs.

Radagast

Enlightened
Get the Arc 4+. Very white beam, bright or dim acordingto your needs at that particular moment. It's amazing how useful I have found this. All questions answered here .

Also check out Mr. Bulk's VIP. It's not available yet but you can get on the waiting list. VIP

Warning. You'll probably end up getting both and many more if you hang out here too long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Good Luck!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the ARC LSH or SF KL1 with 3x123 body would both be good choices. I've got both, and while I carry the ARC more frequently, it is strictly because of size, since I use the 1x123 twisty pack. If runtime was a concern for me, I'd definitely be carrying my KL1 with UBH body and 3x123's. An added advantage to the KL1/UBH combo is that you can use either 3x123 batteries or 2xAA batteries in a pinch. If you wanted a more compact package, you could always swap on an E1e body or Vitalgear 1x123 body.

-Keith

Luciferase

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but this is one of those "well, duh" suggestions: You can always carry extra batteries. If I were you, I'd try to get an Arc LSH with a "twisty" battery pack (which is smaller than the standard pushbutton battery pack, making it easier to carry in a pocket), and then just carry two or three spare 123 batteries. They're small enough that I'd rather deal with that for EDC purposes than carrying around a larger flashlight.

Incidentally, what are your concerns about long runtime? Will you be keeping your light on for long periods at a time, or do you just not want to have to change batteries very often?

Oh, and I'll second the suggestion about getting the Arc4+.

Luciferase

Newly Enlightened
...and now I see that LightScene already commented about carrying extra batteries. Bugger. I somehow entirely missed that line when I read his post.

Bill.H

Enlightened
The Arc4 would definitely be the way to go. If that's too expensive, you'll love the SL TT 2L or the new Pelican M6-LED. The latter two are a bit large for in-pocket carry for most people, so you may want to go with the SL TT 1L until you can afford the Arc4.

Reread everything Roth said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There's lots of stuff about the Arc4 in the Arc forum. I'd already have one if I wasn't choking on the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I have an Arc LSH-P with the 2AA tail pack and I like it a lot - It's a great light - but it doesn't have a lot of throw.

If you want something that is truly useful then the Arc is really great, especially if you back it up with an Arc-AAA and/or some extra batteries. But if you want something that you can take outside and make your friends say "WOW" to, you might be a little dissapointed since it doesn't have that long reach.

I don't own a TT-2L but from what I understand it only has slightly more throw then the Arc LSH.

If money is no object then you might at least consider a Surefire A2. I don't own one of those either, but my mouse pointer hovers over the "buy now" button often. It's got the incandescent bulb for long throw, the 3 LEDs for long run time and reliability, and it has a clip.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Arcs and I don't regret buying them, but there have been some times that I wished I had more throw.

-Brian

paulr

Flashaholic

If you want a small light with lots of throw and 2-3 hours runtime, get a UKE 2L, which is a waterproof 2 cell incandescent, about $25 from Brightguy, TTS, etc. It has a plastic body so it's only a touch heavier than an Arc LSxx. It's noticably lighter than an SF E2e.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If money is a problem (those ARC4's are in the $180 range), consider the Opalec New Beam conversion for the not very exotic AA MiniMag. It turns the MiniMag into a 3x8mm led fully regulated light. It has a FLAT output for about 10 hours. It also has a small red led that comes on when it's time to change batteries. As I remember, the cost for the Opalec is around $25.00.

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
After posting my last 2 cents I thought of the Xenergy 3 in 1 as an option (see www.flashlightreviews.com under Hybrids). It's a little brighter then the A2 and has both a 3 and 6 LED option. It's a bit bulky/heavy, but you said you didn't mind size. I think it's also selling for about $35 right now. It does not have a clip, but that doesn't seem like a terribly difficult mod if you ask nicely around here.

Oni

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here too...but long time lurker.

I just got 2 ARC LSH's. One with a AA tube. I use that one the most. I run Powerex 2200mah NiMH's in it. I am waiting to get my second LSH back. I had to return it as it wouldn't light up.

I EDC a Surefire L4 and the ARC with AA tube. I use it daily for looking for stuff in my lab. With the NiMH's, I use the crap out of it and pop in a fresh set every few days. Kinda like free light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also have an E2e, a couple of TT-2L's and a TT-3C and Scorpion, Inova X1/X5/24-7, Eternalight, and ARC AAA's.

I plan to get an ARC 4 when they are available. I like the concept of varying power levels. The Eternalight may be another option for you. Variable power levels and long lasting light. Runs on 3 AA's.

Great info on this site!

nonbox

Banned
Here are my picks:

Surefire = E2E or L4
Arc = Arc AAA or AA, Arc 5 if you can wait that long
Pelican M6 led = best bang for the buck
Inova X5T = backup flashlight you can put your old cr123s in

Latest posts