Inova X1, XS, and XP changes for 2017

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops and leakers would not be a problem voltage wise and it seems unlikely the L91s would be a problem even though they produce a bit more than the alkalines. The momentary on the XS was never that great but it is surprising that all yours failed completely. I would have expected the switch to still work as a twisty at least.On the old X1 the +contact plunger would stick sometimes but the plunger on the XS is different and I don't know if that could be a problem or not.

No kidding,the switch design is so simple that it was even more crazy that they would all die but indeed they did and I had to replace them all for everyone as any self respecting flashaholic would!

Fenix E05 mostly and some ET D25aaa and no problems at all.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, ive received a light I think it is xo but I am not sure.
Its the shape of a x5
Its as fat as a xo3 I have
2 cr123 and a lovely tiros
?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned most, if not all previous generations of the Inova X1 and have been using the 2017 Inova X1 for the past few days. I like it.

The only visible differences between the new X1 and the earlier ones are the addition of a pocket clip and the lack of a lanyard hole in the tail cap. The new X1 is slightly longer, as shown in the photo comparing the 2017 and 2014 versions.

The new tail cap is a departure from earlier versions because it contains a forward clicky switch. Clicking it requires a very firm finger press exactly in the center of the rubber switch cover. That requires too much force for my liking so I activate the new X1 as a "twisty" like the prior versions. Perhaps clicking the switch will become easier with long term usage. That said, momentary action is easier on the new X1 than the older X1 because the rubber boot is softer and there is more travel in the new mechanism.

The older tail cap fits the threads on the new flashlight but will not activate the light.

The 2017 X1 has two brightness levels -- high brightness (125 lumens) followed by low (12 lumens). When powered by a Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA battery, the difference between the brightness levels is more pronounced than in earlier versions. My X1 seems to emit less than 12 lumens on low. It is low enough for close inspection work and to navigate indoors slowly without waking others.

The higher level is specified at 125 lumens which seems conservative based on how my sample appears. Ceiling bounce testing confirms that the new X1 is brighter than the 2014 version, though the tints on my lights are different from each other. The new X1 has a colder tint.

The light emitted from the new X1 is distributed differently than in earlier models. Older X1s cast a narrow beam with weaker spill which I find distracting indoors. Inova has increased the size of the central hot spot while placing more light into the spill area. Outside testing confirms that the 2014 X1 throws farther than the new version, but not by a huge amount. More noticeable is that the new X1 is better at illuminating a wider area.

I get just over 2 hours of decent brightness in the high mode when using an Eneloop Pro battery. At that point, the battery voltage drops below 1.0 volts. My new X1 draws 2,100 mA in high brightness mode and only 27 mA in low. Compare that to the 1,090 mA and 106 mA drawn by the 2014 X1, which was rated at 80 and 11 lumens.

The new X1 carries well in my shirt pocket. The new pocket clip is sturdy and isn't easily separated from the flashlight. The clip won't slide up or down the battery tube because it is fitted into a recessed channel.

inova-x1-2017.jpg

inova-x1-2017-vs-2014.jpg

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the mini review ! The clip has a nice snug area to latch onto, and length is very much body related not switch related, I wonder what they did inside to need more room? Not that it matters.
Will the xs get click or is it too small ?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Will the xs get click or is it too small ?

The instruction sheet furnished with the 2017 X1 describes the clicky action of the tail switch as common for the XS, XP, X1, and X2.

However, the lockout instructions are different depending on the models:

"Lockout Mode XS and XP: Unscrew end cap and remove battery[ies]. Reverse the direction of battery[ies]. This will prevent accidental activation."

"Lockout Mode X1 and X2: Twist the end cap switch one half turn counterclockwise. This will deactivate the switch and prevent accidental activation."

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a 2017 Inova XP 2xAAA pen light, but returned it.

The tail cap and switch are completely different from the previous model. The switch on my XP was too difficult to latch (click). The new XP cannot be used as a twisty because the threads are not anodized.

The 2017 XP is specified for use with alkaline batteries. I essentially lost the low brightness mode when using NiMH rechargeable batteries. The low mode on my XP was perhaps 1 or 2 lumens when powered by a pair of freshly charged Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries.

In high brightness mode, the 2017 XP had more light in the spill area, but less throw than its predecessor.

Photos of the new and old XP appear below.

inova-xp-2017-vs-2014.jpg

inova-xp-2017-vs-2014-tail.jpg

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I purchased a 2017 Inova XP 2xAAA pen light, but returned it.

The tail cap and switch are completely different from the previous model. The switch on my XP was too difficult to latch (click). The new XP cannot be used as a twisty because the threads are not anodized.

The 2017 XP is specified for use with alkaline batteries. I essentially lost the low brightness mode when using NiMH rechargeable batteries. The low mode on my XP was perhaps 1 or 2 lumens when powered by a pair of freshly charged Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries.

In high brightness mode, the 2017 XP had more light in the spill area, but less throw than its predecessor."

The XP is the model from INOVA that interests me the most. It is disappointing that the switch is so stiff,it seems like the original model will still have more appeal to me. Maybe I should look for another one along with the last model of the T1 before they are gone. There are aspects of INOVA lights that I really love but the newer models seem to be missing the mark for me and in the case of the T1 are being discontinued altogether.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The XP is the model from INOVA that interests me the most. It is disappointing that the switch is so stiff,it seems like the original model will have more appeal to me....

You can buy the 2014 version (144/30 lumen) Inova XP for less than $16 on Amazon and that's a good deal. It is a very low profile pen light with an excellent pocket clip, making it a joy to carry in a shirt pocket. It doesn't choke when powered by NiMH batteries.

I replaced the original O-ring on my 2014 XP with a thinner O-ring so the tail cap twisted more easily.

radu1976

Enlightened
Hey guys, ive received a light I think it is xo but I am not sure.
Its the shape of a x5
Its as fat as a xo3 I have
2 cr123 and a lovely tiros
?

It probably is the XO TIROS : it's one inch longer than the X5 and fatter. I have 4 of them - 2 titanium and 2 black ones - as they were purchased very cheap however I rarely use them. They put 20-25 lumens with TIROS. I wish INOVA still have that true HA anodizing for the newer lights like they did in TIROS era : the actual black ones aren't bad but the silvery ones anodizing feels rough - cement - comparative to the old smoother true HA titanium ano for the older lights.
TIROS fan here too : I have 3 x XO3, one T3, one T2, one T4, one T5 ... only T1 missing from my TIROS line
shrug.gif

radu1976

Enlightened
Thank you for sharing us all your inputs - and pics - Bob !
So this is how the older vs newer INOVAs would compare :

- XS 13/80 lumens ... 29hrs / 1hr runtime.... 870 lux
- XS 12/110 lumens ... 32hrs / 1hr runtime ... 440 lux

- X1 6/55 lumens ... 40hr / 1:45hr runtime ... 1,640 lux
- X1 11/80 lumens ...70hr / 4hr runtime .... 1,480 lux
- X1 12/125 lumens ... 70hr / 1:25hr runtime ... 812 lux

- X2 18/150 lumens ... 60hrs / 1:10hr runtime ... 4,550 lux
- X2 43/190 lumens ... 24hrs / 1:30hr runtime ... 6,560 lux
- X2 10/272 lumens ... 100hrs / 1:30hr runtime .... 3,360 lux

So it appears that the newer XS/X1/X2 throw is basically half of the throw of the older generations. Too much loss of throw in my opinion despite the increase in efficiency, but it depends on the purpose.
Those are the official INOVA datas.

I have 3 x X1 55-lumens version. At a moment I had an 80-lumens model too but I gave it up as brightness was the same with the 55-lumens models - ceiling bounce test, my eyes were accurate - while throw was definetely less. For the the 55-lumens model is the best one. It runs for at least 2.5-3 hrs with a 2,400mAh ENELOOP.

I have the 150-lumens X2 and the 190-lumens X2 too.
Comparative to what INOVA is claiming the low - officially 43 lumens - on my 190L X2 LOW output is lower than the low of my 150L X2 - oficially 18 -. Both lights have great beams and throw great.
INOVA high output might be true but I would take the low estimation with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy the 2014 version (144/30 lumen) Inova XP for less than $16 on Amazon and that's a good deal. It is a very low profile pen light with an excellent pocket clip, making it a joy to carry in a shirt pocket. It doesn't choke when powered by NiMH batteries.

I replaced the original O-ring on my 2014 XP with a thinner O-ring so the tail cap twisted more easily.

I didn't realize that my post made it sound like I didn't have an XP and edited it for clarity. I have one of the 2014 models (EDCing it today as a matter of fact) and had interest in the new ones until reading your post. Since I like the 2014 model it makes sense to get another. You are right about low profile it is the best IMHO of any 2AAA light I have seen. At that $16 price point it may even be worth buying a couple more.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is now 2022 and the Inova XP (2AAA) and XS (1AAA) penlights have been removed from the Nite-Ize web site. I was hoping they would develop improved versions.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is now 2022 and the Inova XP (2AAA) and XS (1AAA) penlights have been removed from the Nite-Ize web site. I was hoping they would develop improved versions.
I don't even see the X1 on there. I've always wanted one, but never got around to it and when I could finally get one, I lost interest due to emitter/tint snobbery.

Man, I would LOVE to have the original 5MM X1s, both the optic and reflectored versions with some Yuji LEDs.

Latest posts