Inova X5 has been updated

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one that thinks the current draw is way too high here? You really don't get alot more lumens when you go over 30ma/led. But you do cut their life span enormously and cause failures. Am I missing something?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one that thinks the current draw is way too high here? You really don't get alot more lumens when you go over 30ma/led. But you do cut their life span enormously and cause failures. Am I missing something?

The current draw I measured was at the tail cap. The current consumed isn't much higher than the previous generation X5, but the newest X5 is much brighter.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know. But, at 6V/280ma, that's still alot of current to the leds. I'm questioning if this isn't the reason users report failures for this light. If you used it for burns of only a few minutes here and there, it would be fine. If you ran it hours at a time, I think high current would be an issue.

Just would like to know if I am missing something. The greater brightness would be from better leds.

madflytom

Newly Enlightened
I know. But, at 6V/280ma, that's still alot of current to the leds. I'm questioning if this isn't the reason users report failures for this light. If you used it for burns of only a few minutes here and there, it would be fine. If you ran it hours at a time, I think high current would be an issue.

Just would like to know if I am missing something. The greater brightness would be from better leds.

Yes, I had several issues. The first one I bought still runs fine, but is the less bright, version 2. When I noticed the new packaging came out, I puchased a new version 3 at target. It ran for 4 days, and 2 of the LEDs started blinking off and on. I was able to send it back to Inova (before Nite Ize took over) and they send me a new one a week later. The new one straight from Inova lasted through 2 battery changes (about 3 months) before it, too, lost some LEDs, only this time 3 of them went out completely.

I tried to get a response from Nite Ize (right after they took over Inova) and never received anything after several emails and calls. Customer service certainly took a hit.

I have moved on to the new Mag Lite XL100. Much brighter, clicky instead of momentary tailcap, cool UI, and very close to the same size. I won't be purchasing any more Inovas, sadly, but I am happy to be back on the Mag-wagon.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
With so many reports of Inova X5 failures (most likely due to overdriving the l.e.d.s), I decided to see how mine would work on a lithium ion cell. On 1 1100mAh protected AW 14670 cell, it ran at about 30 lumens for about 9-10 hours before any noticeable drop in output. After 10 hrs. 15 minutes, it dropped below 5 lumens which is when I stopped the test. The protection circuit had not shut the light off at that point. I believe that puts the current draw at about 100 mAh or 20 mAh per l.e.d. (right at manufacturer's specifications). The light was cool to the touch for the entire test. YMMV. While mine seemed to be 80 lumens, newer ones are rated at under 60 lumens. I'm not sure if this is due to ANSI standards being high or Inova lowering the current draw to avoid frying the l.e.d.s. If my first assumption is correct, your results on a new X5 should be the same as mine. If they lowered the current draw with resistors, the output will be less and the runtime hopefully more.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X5 has been redesigned since the start of this thread. Instead of a single 55 lumen output, the new X5 now provides 2 brightness levels, 31 and 6 lumens.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 31 lumens on high, the new one will be about as bright as my old one on a 14670. I doubt they changed to better l.e.d.s. They probably just changed the circuit to run it at spec. and added a low level. I don't see any point in upgrading to the new one at this time. Others may feel differently. I'd say if you have the older one, use rechargeables in it (not primaries). If you want to use primaries, get the newer one. It's nice that they finally settled on making one that will last (both l.e.d.s and batteries). They used to advertise 20 hours runtime which was never achieved in any version at full output. This light was meant to be a long running e.d.c. that was bright enough for hiking and also indestructible, not a bright floodlight that burned through l.e.d.s as fast as batteries. Nice to see they finally realized how to make the X5 really shine (by making it dimmer).

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
How can I tell that I am buying the latest version? There are multiple versions on Amazon. Is there a model number for the current latest version please?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can I tell that I am buying the latest version? There are multiple versions on Amazon. Is there a model number for the current latest version please?

pretty sure they have DM in the number for 'dual mode'

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
Dual mode is dual brightness correct?
I looked up the Inova X5 UV official website and model they sell is SKU: X5DMB-HUVT

Also one thing I'm concerned is do I need to wear eye protection when using it to check banknotes etc?

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dual mode is dual brightness correct?
I looked up the Inova X5 UV official website and model they sell is SKU: X5DMB-HUVT

Also one thing I'm concerned is do I need to wear eye protection when using it to check banknotes etc?

as you are not 'looking' directly at the light it wont be an issue, its not overly powerful either.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I've already posted, try a 14670. It works in mine. Even an unprotected 17670 will not fit in an X5.