Inova X5 Question

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too want to know where to get a RED single cell X5... :candle:

ebay seems to only have cr123a x 2 X5s of every colour....

Crenshaw

lumenal

Enlightened
i too want to know where to get a RED single cell X5... :candle:

ebay seems to only have cr123a x 2 X5s of every colour....

Crenshaw

Gad-Zooks on ebay has them for the "buy it now" price of $29.99... but I don't believe their product description is correct.

IIRC, all RED X5s are powered by one 123A cell...

arty

Enlightened
I may not know anything about this, but I would not use rundown CR123 batteries in a two cell light. Many of the batteries I have taken out of two cell lights have a different potency - at least as measured by a ZTS meter. One of the two cells is likely to run down much faster than the other.

I chuck batteries once they obviously seem to be weak and don't produce enough light. If I wanted to use two batteries that have been in a light for some time, I'd only swap them into single cell lights.

The battery experts here should chime in.

I have found that the X5 will run for some time with an original pair of batteries. The light may dim a bit, but is still useful for a long time.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC white LEDs have a Vf of 3volts or something right?

eiether way, maybe someone should pm the cpf member from Battery Junction...his handle escapes me at the moment..

Crenshaw

lumenal

Enlightened
I was wondering the same thing(see my post right above yours)-- http://batteryjunction.com/inx5blnivire.html also says 2xCR123 :shrug:

I believe Battery Junction, as well as Gad-Zooks, is using the same generic X5 description for all of their X5s. All X5s use 2 cells except for the X5 RED LED.

Since a RED LED doesn't require much voltage to fire up, why use 2 cells?

Check out post #11 in the Battery Vampires thread.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Matt K of batteryjunction said here that the red LED X5 is their best selling X5. I remember someone told Matt K to update his site to say the red X5 uses only 1 cell... that was over a year ago :ohgeez:

Don't forget there have been at least 4 versions of the white LED X5. There is some variability in run time amongst them all I think... the older models (Ones with the engraved lettering around the stainless steel tail cap ring) seemed to run longer according to old run time charts formerly posted at flashlightreviews.com. Regret selling my old X5's now :laughing:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
they look proportionately similar to me

theshorelinemarket_1994_8133903.gif
theshorelinemarket_1997_2167664.gif

or does the red X5 just have a differnt tail switch design so that it only uses one battery?

or are they just photoshopped images?

Crenshaw

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're the same size. The red X5 has more "stuff" inside the batter tube. I believe tailacaps are interchangeable between the different colors.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I may not know anything about this, but I would not use rundown CR123 batteries in a two cell light. Many of the batteries I have taken out of two cell lights have a different potency - at least as measured by a ZTS meter. One of the two cells is likely to run down much faster than the other.

I chuck batteries once they obviously seem to be weak and don't produce enough light. If I wanted to use two batteries that have been in a light for some time, I'd only swap them into single cell lights.

The battery experts here should chime in.

I have found that the X5 will run for some time with an original pair of batteries. The light may dim a bit, but is still useful for a long time.

I'm not an expert but I would voice the same concern and I'm surprised that you were the first person to point out the potential danger. :ohgeez:

I have an X5 and am still on the first set of batteries. :twothumbs

IcantC

Enlightened
X5 red and other colors are the same size. Red does indeed only take one battery. It has a built in "dummy battery" if you wish to call it that. That is why is is the same length as a regular X5, but only takes one battery.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
and I'm surprised that you were the first person to point out the potential danger. :ohgeez:

aHEM!

3) Do not use batteries with different levels of charge left in them
ie: only use two batteries in the x5 that were from the same light, such as an Incan surefire 2x Cr123a, do NOT use one Cr123a from a single cell light, and another one from a differnt single cell light.
4) once the levels hit very low, its time to throw them away, dont run them COMPLETELY down.

:nana:

jokes aside, yes its true that batteries from one light might still contain different charge levels...which is why its a good idea to invest in a multimeter..

Crenshaw

1011Tristar

Newly Enlightened
Buffalo, NY & Franklin, MA (Boston 'burb)
I have a multi-meter...If the two cells need to read the same voltage to two decimal places, is that close enough? Is one decimal place enough? (I don't mean to sound dumb, I just don't want to experience problems.) Also, what is considered very low (time to throw the cells out?), and will I see a difference in the output of the X5 when I reach that point?

Latest posts