"Introducing "Draco" [Accepting Deposit].

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing "Draco" [Finalized Pricing Released]

jar3ds said:
i have to say... the move to chrome i do not think is wise.... a lot of people have EDC their jil in HA NAT's on their chains and never show signs of wear... Hmmm has Jil Changed since the one that I carried? Mine looks very worn. Just ask the new owner Geologist.

this project was to design a edc chain light... i personally don't want a shiny keychain light... as simple as that... having a subdued light is almost always what i want... if i want a sexy light i will by a new jil intelli chrome when they're released...

it basicly makes to me the Ti version a requirement but the price is too high for me to personally justify...

good luck with the project though!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

CroMAGnet said:
All my HA EDC lights look bad from wear but my Chrome Jil looks almost new after 6-months of EDC. This chrome is even nicer than the Jil
Not all HA III's are created equal. I have EDCed my ARC LS for years. It's been carried in my pocket and on a chain from my belt. It's been all over the world, dropped in the mud and gravel, and stepped on, and it still looks like it just came out of the box. On the other hand, I have other HA III lights that have seen very little use and already look like they've been through a war.

I'm a little leary of anything that looks too pretty to carry, no matter how tough the coating is supposed to be, although not leary enough to cause me to drop out - there will probably never be another light like this except maybe the Larry light.

I'm not sure if I'm even trying to make a point here - just expressing some thoughts.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some good points Jim! When the lights get the HA coating my understanding is that they penetrate into the metal but also coat it. The more coating the thicker it is. Please correct me here if that's not true as I'm not too familiar with the process.

I have a TnC KeyLux which seems to have really thick HA which makes the light look bulky. If this is the case with HA I'm not sure that there is enough room in the design tolerances with the Draco to allow for too thick of a coating.

The Larry light that I currently have in my possesion has wear in the anodizing too.

Depending on what kind of gathering or party that I'm at I have never impressed anyone when I pulled out my Arc AAA, including myself. Arc AAA was way too abrasive for EDC in my pocket. The knurling would rub on things and damage them. Pulling out my Chrome Jil DD usualy gets a response. Sometimes you can see the person is having a hard time to resist their desire to reach out and grab it. Plus it's also very usable. Sometimes I wished it was smaller though. Most of the time actually and I don't even carry it anymore. Too big.

This is same with the Draco but it's even smaller and easier to EDC. Nice knurling and non abrasive. My experience with the chrome coating is that it's tough, with the Jil DD anyway.

The light is not for everyone and a year from now they wont be easily had and there pro'ly still wont be anything as small and powerful.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

i really like this light... but i'm goin back out.. sorry..

kiely23+

Enlightened

I can´t believe... I missed this thread :ohgeez:

Great little light!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing "Draco" [Taking Deposit]

=== Polishing Update ===
After four days in the shop for electropolishing and alot hand buffing this is what we got. Big Ol #8 finished. The bodies are so freaken shinny I have to wear gloves to touch them.

See those nice little halo reflection rings in the second pictures. I just love this job!

Hopefully, our plating shop handle them with such care then it'll be perfect.

polishing01ez8.jpg

polishing02oj2.jpg

OT: Friends, I want to make a subtle reminder to everyone that flashlight (at least to me) is only a hobby. It's not a necessity. We can all live w/o it. When you put thing in perspective, I would rather have clean air, good food, great friends and a happy family over ANY hobby.

With that said, if you have other priority and no longer want this light, you don't have to do anything.
By the deadline, I will remove all those who no longer need the light.
It totally understandable!

Larry is EXTREMELY wise in declining the joint production that was offered to him last year. With such a high profile public project, and so many public opinion, it'll drive anyone MAD. One person would want the brightness of the Sun, while another want one that run on fusion power and last forever.
When I open up this thread and asked for public opinion I expect such. Trying to please everyone, I did! But now things getting to be rediculous.

Regardless of what happens, I will finish this project. Those who really wants one will get one. Others, well ... maybe they can get it from BST six month after the release for probably 1/3 the original price because all the original owner can't wait to get rid of them.

JimH & CroMagnet: Thank you for the support. But I think you might want to cheer for the other side. If less and less of these goes into circulation then what you got in your hand will become more rare. Who knows maybe in the end only 20 will go into the 18000 CPFers pool.

BTW: Chromium hardness is 60-70 Rc, while HAIII is 65-70 Rc depending on thickness. The major difference is surface friction. Chrome got much less surface friction that's why they used it on the way of Bridgeport mills. In term of cost it is much cheaper to do HAIII vs chrome.

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Modamag, these are beautiful pieces! So long as I can pay for 'em there's no way I'm backing out! BTW, your priorities are right on, too. You've been, and continue to be, one of the good guys around here! :eek:

:bow: :goodjob: :thumbsup:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I would have paid in full night before last, but had to wait for a bank x-fer. I'm now PIF. :D I needed a replacement light for the NLS that was on my keyring that I gave away. ( :nana: R-man :D ) Looking forward to it!

[J/K] (mode on) Only a pimp would carry a chrome flashlight. :D [/J/K] (I still love Patton! )

Larry

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

tvodrd said:
I would have paid in full night before last, but had to wait for a bank x-fer. I'm now PIF. :D I needed a replacement light for the NLS that was on my keyring that I gave away. ( :nana: R-man :D ) Looking forward to it!

[J/K] (mode on) Only a pimp would carry a chrome flashlight. :D [/J/K] (I still love Patton! )

Larry
Call me BIG DADDY :D

kiely23+

Enlightened

Great work...
I´m in for the Al Draco, please #55
complete:paypal:
Thanks

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm paid! I'm paid! :)

Paid in full in fact! :party:

Bring it on, Modamag!!!
:popcorn:

Radio

Modulated Moderator

tvodrd said:

Larry

:laughing:

stevevh

Enlightened

Hey guys,

I need to change my order from a Ti Draco to a HAIII Aluminum one. I had TiCn serial#5. Any new serial number is OK with me.

Thanks,

Steve

HenryE

Newly Enlightened

I just discovered it's chrome-only for Al, so will back away - sorry.

stevevh

Enlightened

MSI said:
steveh, there is no HAIII version, only Chrome if you want Aluminium.

Thanks MSI,:ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:

I meant to say aluminum. Chrome plated is fine:)

Steve

NetMage

Enlightened

Sad about the CC, but will live with the FluPIC. Gotta have multiple levels!

Leef

Enlightened

Hey Crow, don't forget to put me in slot #67! Money's been tendered. Thanx :grin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts