Introduction and a little melancholy over old lights

mgc8

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks, and I must say I found the information both impressive and entertaining. Being hopelessly addicted to technology in most of it's forms naturally lent itself to a great degree of flash-craze; therefore I can easily say I'm a (beginner) flashaholic :)

I've been obsessed about lights from a very early age. I still remember the awe with witch I used to look at the lights from my childhood -- sorely underpowered even then, but nostalgic classics by now. Being born in the 80's in an "iron curtain" country, we only had access to some very poor lights, mostly russian or east-german in origin. One of the best was the german "campinglight", seen here in it's orange incarnation:

It had two bulbs which could alternate to give flood or a decent throw. Back then we used it a lot when the lights would run out (which was quite often) and sometimes in the holidays when hiking. The batteries would run out pretty fast though, making for a poor runtime. I still wonder what could be achieved with that huge reflector and a modern LED + Li-Ion's :naughty:

The most sought-after light of kids back then was a rather strange, all-plastic light with 4 different modes: white, green, red and strobing yellow, all using a single bulb but with a smart coloured-plastic mask moving in front of it. I didn't manage to find pictures of it on the Net, maybe someone else recognizes it? Quite the gimmick, I actually used this light to climb 500m through the woods in total darkness sometime in high-school... I had to squint to see three meters in front of me. What a guy does for a girl, eh?

I can't forget here the very small "EDC" light of the time (heh), a small tube made of extremely poor plastic that held a simple bulb connected directly to an AA cell. You'd push a plastic pin on it's end to turn it on, and it even had "lock-out protection" in as you could loosen the cap slightly and it wouldn't turn on anymore :)) Unbelievable as it may sound, I actually used the thing to read in the darkness (some books were too good to put down even after "lights out", hehe) and I even carried it in my pocket at school. What's more, the thing has survived to this day!

Later in life we actually got more "enlightened" with higher quality lights. One of the first was a "999" like this one:

... which even had a "momentary" switch :cool: but the greatest leap which brought us in the modern age with regards to lighting technology happened in the 90's when I got my hands on my first "true" light ever -- a quite solid at the time Energizer/Eveready "Double Barrel" that impressed everyone with it's aluminium construction and bright beam:

... and it's smaller siblings that were used primarily inside the house by the whole family (not actual pic, this one is newer):

These lights were great actually, and I never felt the need for another one for quite some time. The small ones were very popular for walking around the house, changing light-bulbs and looking under furniture for lost items, we actually bought a couple for the grandparents as well. The large one was my main flashlight for years on end, and it saw extended use for both mundane things like walking around the house at night or looking for things in dark places, as well as hiking in the woods and on old dusty country roads. It proved it's worth many times in power outages and it actually has a decent throw and long runtime with it's 8xAA's/4S2P.

I noticed a thread on these very forums about modding the Eveready and I must say I'm very inclined to try it -- although the plastic head is problematic with regards to heat, I somehow feel I "owe" it to this old light to upgrade it and lengthen it's life in some way :)

All that being said, we slowly got to the present. Sometime at the end of last year I found myself looking at an exciting tutorial on Youtube about modding a small flashlight to be a "burning laser". A surprisingly short time after that, I was swimming deep inside LPF reading everything I could, my eyes getting larger and my jaw dropping further. Needless to say, one thing led to another and soon I was all over CPF as well... A few short weeks and several burning holes in the walet later, I am now a certified flashaholic with a small but growing collection of beautiful lights:

mylights.jpg

From left to right that would be SolarForce L950M (SSC P7), Dereelight DBS-V3 (3SD, SMO, R2/WC) and Ra Clicky (140Cgt). I find the L950M simply astounding, it's by far the brightest LED I've seen (I know, I'm new to this, bare with me), the Dereelight will always hold a soft spot in my heart as the first of the new wave of lights I received after meeting CPF (and it's a great thrower, but you already knew that), and the RaClicky is just so useful that hardly a day goes by that I don't grab it -- recently for example I had to check the power cables running around a false-ceiling with 16 spot-lights; needless to say, the Clicky together with a small wireless "spy-camera" were the only tools I could fit up there, but they sure did their work perfectly! I'm very happy with all the lights, and, as you might expect, more will be on their way :D

This is my way of saying "hi" and I hope I'll be able to contribute to the great community here! Happy to meet everyone and best regards to you!

P.S.: a few pics above taken from http://www.flashlightmuseum.com -- I hope it's alright with them...

All the best,
Mihnea

Edit: Removed all the hotlinks and replaced with ImageShack thumbnails... Sorry about that!

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be fine to use other peoples' pictures, but please reupload them on other sites.. we don't want to suck bandwidth from them.

Nice collection, and welcome to CPF!

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, mgc8. I think you will enjoy this forum. Your history with flashlights in Romania was interesting. Thank you for becoming part of our family.

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello Mihnea --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

I enjoyed reading your story, and seeing the photos.

By the way, your English is very good ! :thumbsup:

Great to have so many World-Wide members on CPF.

:wave:
_

mgc8

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the nice words everyone, it's great to be part of this community!

With the Energizer I was thinking to put together something like this -- maybe with another led? Dunno, don't want to go overboard, I'll jump over there for more discussion and figure out what's appropriate.

StarHalo, thanks for the tip, that looks interesting and maybe I can tweak it to run in one of the oldies...

By the way, I forgot a pic of the archaic "EDC" I mentioned before, just look at this:

oldedcl.jpg

... you can't get any simpler than that! :D

Well, see you around!
Mihnea

yo6ial

Newly Enlightened
Heeeeeloooooo Mihnea!
We'll make a Flashaholics club in Romania pretty soon :party:
I whose told by somebody of you're posts here, and i thought to say hello.
And also saw the mini yellow incan that brought so many memories to me :D

Happy modding and collecting!!!

Alex.

DaveG

Enlightened
Welcome to the party:party: try to hang on to your cash,I cant since I found this place.

mgc8

Newly Enlightened
Well hello yo6ial! Nice meeting you here, I've actually seen you on a bike forum a while back and noticed you were one of the few people there knowledgeable about leds and their true potential... I must admit I've been conned with one of those ovepriced bike lamps myself before landing here, but now at least there's a chance to have it improved! I don't know that many light afficionado's myself, but maybe we could still arrange for a small club :buddies:

@DaveG: It's... proving... difficult... to resist... must feeeeed:broke:

@rockz4532: It is a matter of post-processing magic, you know, like those models you see on the cover pages of magazines that don't look half as good in real life? :sssh:
It's quite easy actually:
- first I take one or two pics by placing the objects on a white piece of paper for maximum contrast; I usually use the flash but sometimes it's better to avoid it (when you are dealing with lots of reflections).
- I fire up GIMP (but you can use another app like PhotoShop if you prefer) and use the "Fuzzy Select" tool on the white background to select everything except the subject. Important here is to use the "Feather Edges" option with a radius of around 20px. Sometimes it needs adjustments, and this is actually the tricky part, as you need to be careful to get all of the background but none of the subject, it could be somewhat difficult at times but nothing extraordinary.
- Finally I just "Cut" the background away. A little crop and resize later and you have the picture!
But we're getting slightly off-topic, if you are interested we can talk more in PM about this, feel free to message me...

Last edited: