Is a malkoff p60 worth it

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a word....

Yes.
(They are worth it.)

I second this. Simplicity and the best potting, dependability and durability available. I love my Surefire E1 & E2's
With Lumen's Factory, Steve Ku or Tana drop ins, but if I need to use it with a weapon or a real harsh environment, a VME head with Malkoff Drop in can't be beat. I love the dependability of my Surefire's, and their customer service is excellent if you Phone in(email-not so great). With Malkoff, I can call, email, snail mail, and probably use Morse code or smoke signals and I know Gene & family will respond. Every time. No exceptions. And the response will be with the actual information I need, clear and concise. So yes, it's worth it-not just because of superb products, outstanding customer service or great sales, the entire operation is done with an attitude and understanding of an entire company who "gets" what CPF is all about. Mainly because it is run by a family that started with their first product because what was needed(effective, efficient, good color rendition, potted to an unmatched durability) was not available(or if available, not affordable). When other companies were chasing novelty and ever higher Lumens, Malkoff appears to have chosen to provide a product that meets the needs of most, and does it to the best of their ability...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I believe they are. No not the brightest or longest running drop in you can get BUT they are extremely well built will last you a lifetime and as others have said Malkoff customer service is second to none. Call him,email him, hell send him smoke signals and he will fix or replace his stuff. Period. I had a m60 that was older then dirt and was acting up from time to time. Got hold of him and had a new one in 3 days.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on build quality and customer service alone, I say yes they are worth it. As others have pointed out, Malkoff builds with a specific set of priorities in mind and they're not the best fit for everyone's needs, but if a Malkoff product does what you need it to do then don't worry about price and grab one.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Yes, worth it for quality of build, customer service and the true lumens and beautiful beam they put out!

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but only thing to keep in mind if you are using a lightweight G2 the module is heavy and it will throw off the balance.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Absolutely worth it in my opinion but it depends on what you want out of your light. I tend to like my P61 drop-ins in VME heads and I keep a M61WL in an old G2 that's in a toolbox. For my 6P host I like to go with something that has a larger reflector and maybe even brighter... I think if I wanted to run a M61 in a 6P sized light I would use an elzetta or malkoff host for the hi/low feature.

I've got a couple M61N/VME for AR15s and the only thing I would consider replacing them with would be scout MDC N (which doesn't exist)

I hate most multi-level lights though. To me a multi-level light is more of a toy and not something I'd bring with for practical applications. :nana:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if I wanted to run a M61 in a 6P sized light I would use an elzetta or malkoff host for the hi/low feature.

I hate most multi-level lights though. To me a multi-level light is more of a toy and not something I'd bring with for practical applications. :nana:

This seems contradictory. I suppose by multi-level lights you mean lights that have access to multiple levels through the switch?

Mikeg23

Enlightened
You are correct and I was mostly just poking fun at random Dan. There are a few multilevel lights that I really like but the vast majority of them I don't care for. The elzetta/malkoff hi/low design is really good for knowing what you're gonna get when you push the button without question!

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I have a very hard time finding the same UI characteristics, and why I mostly use Malkoff MD variants . I am still using an old Quark Tactical for the same reason, and the mass market seems to no longer have a desire to produce something like this. Or, rather I should say there seems to be no longer be a demand for them.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Well I wasn't gonna say to much about other brands in this thread but yes in addition to the MD variants and Elzetta two stage tailcap I really liked the foursevens tactical UI and although I haven't handled one yet the SF tactician looks intriguing... I also like the older SF L1/L2 design for some task.

I do have a couple fenix lights with a cool UI (LD12 and PD32) but I don't trust them to always come on at the brightness I desire.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually kind of agree about the multilevel lights. 2 levels is a nice feature but these things with 4-5+ levels, strobes, sos, etc are annoying at best. My rifle lights are all single mode, the Surefire I keep next to my handgun is a 2-mode Surefire G2X "LE." I do like the three modes on my keychain light, allows for a very bright high with a usable mid level and a long life low beam but thats mostly because of the limited capacity of a AAA cell. For general purpose, I prefer two modes.