Is anyone buying Zebralights and not getting the indicated light temp?

Frederic

Newly Enlightened
I just got 2 H31's and 2 SC 30's. I am confused about the color of the light. I am accustomed to my H30's which are supposed to be in the range of 5700 to 6500. One of the H31's looks very similar in temp but the other H31 and both of the SC's look totally different. They seem more like the mid 4000 range. Can there be a dramatic difference in appearance in a temp rang like 5700 to 6500? I feel like there might be a packageing issue at Zebralight. Perhaps H31w in H31 boxes and SC30w in SC30 boxes? Has anyone else been cought off guard by the light temp of their Zebralight during their initial evaluation?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I anyone buying Zebralights and not getting the indicated light temp?

:welcome:
Looks like someone packed some H30w and SC30w by mistake.
Or they ran out of cool white and hoped you don't mind getting the warmer tint.

Last edited:

Frederic

Newly Enlightened
My take on Zebra H30, H31 & SC 30 (just my opinion)

I have been using the Zebralight H30 for a little over a year now. I absolutely love it and have heavily recommended it and have had many friends get it and love it also. The light is a wide angle flood with no hot spot or shadows or irregularities anywhere in it. It lights up a large area in front of you without the typical swinging of the head to get the brightest light on an object that seems to happen with a light with a hot spot.

I just got an H31 in hopes it be a similar beam quality just a bit more narrow and brighter. Although very bright, it does have a hot spot that significantly narrows the useful light. I tend to focus on the area of brightest light which causes a loss of peripheral vision and I end up having to move my head allot more rather than just my eyes. It is great if your desire is for more throw. It throws a good long way for a headlight but that is not my objective. I typically carry a flashlight also and use it if I want to throw light on something in the distance momentarily. Another consideration for me is I want to use as little light as possible so my eyes are not straining to adjust between the darkness and the light that I am using. I typically like to throw allot of light when looking off in the distance so the H31 doesn't really work for that because although bright, I prefer more light and more range for distant threats to my well being. When I use a bright light to investigate something in the distance, I try to limit the runtime as much as possible so my eyes don't begin to adjust to that light effectively leaving me somewhat blind while they adjust back to the headlight. It also does not have a brightness level that suits me. It is either a little too bright or not quite bright enough. Enough on that!

As for the SC30, I got them to set up a 600 lm Headlight rig. I wanted the ability to really light up an area if the situation called for it so I was going to put one SC30 on each side of my head facing forward and one H31 in the middle. It was a good idea and they all fit comfortably on the headband, but if your head is shaped like mine, there is a crook in the back that is the obvious place where the headband rests comfortably and that is lower than the comfort spot on my forehead so the SC30's point skyward in a totally useless direction and can not be adjusted down. This is all just fine because I am used to failing as often as I succeed! Keep in mind that none of this says anything negative about the light itself, I am just not sure how they intend for it to be used as a side mount headlight when it is nearly impossible to get it to point at the ground in front of you. The SC30 makes a fine EDC if it is appealing to you for that use. If it is, you can buy one or both of mine (light only No headband) for 40 ea freight included.

That's all for now. Hope it will help someone with a decision they are trying to make. Good luck!

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Zebra light H31 and SC30

Frederic, you've posted 2 threads on the same topic. That is not permitted - please read Rule 9.

I'm merging them.

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: My take on Zebra H30, H31 & SC 30 (just my opinion)

Frederic! This is thread #3 on the same topic - not allowed! Read Rule 9 please!

Latest posts