• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Is the Lunasol 20 a good light for you? Why?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I have been EDCing the Lunasol 20 every day for a month or so now.
I have been using around the neck Lanyard carry to insure that I do not loose the light ant more importantly to keep the light right where I need it for extremely easy access.
At work (I know I have said this before) The light works for me every day. I use the wide beam to light my workspace when the set lights are dim. I use the high beam to help me find whatever I happen to be looking for.
I find the Beam from the Lunasol 20's golden dragon emitter to be VERY VERY GOOD. Mine is EXTREEMELY WHITE. That is a good thing. I find that in the presence of tungsten lighting in the background the color rendering of the High beam is more than adequate for my needs.
I am finding the Lunasol is actually growing on me. I have always liked it but I seem to be liking it more now than ever.
Keep in mind that in my quest to acquire one of these I sold off another very cool McGizmo flashlight. At first I had to reconcile the "trade" to justify it. Quite frankly the light I sold was not one that saw a lot of use especially when compared to the Lunasol 20 that replaced it. The point is that I basically traded a wonderful light that did not get that much use for a light which has 100x more utility (for me). That i a good deal any way you look at it. I traded a very special (to me) PD away in order to get a second Lunasol 20. It is important to me that I have a backup of the lights I actually EDC. Once I get used to a piece of equipment if I were to loose it and not have a replacement I would be completely at a loss. In a way I paid a heavy price to get these two lights but if has proven well worth it.
I see myself using the Lunasol 20 for the foreseeable future. Unless Don comes up with a better drop in replacement for the Lunasol 20 then this will be the light I use. This was true of the McLuxIII PD for at least 2 years that I used this light as my primary EDC.
I see the Lunasol 20 as a drop in replacement to the single beam PD. I find the hi beam on the Lunasol 20 to be every bit as good as the stock pd it replaces. Of course the low beam is a total bonus which I find has extreme utility.
NOW that the Lunasol 20 has had a real opportunity to work in many circumstances I feel qualifies to say that it really is the best light for me to EDC.
OK a word or two regarding the Lunasol 27.
As much as i Love the Lunasol 20, I also have a pair of Lunasol 27's.
The 27 came out first and I had no idea that the 20 even existed so I acquired a backup to the 27 as is my custom.
But now what? What about your Lunasol 27's Yaesumofo you might ask?
I will tell you.
The lunasol 27 is also an EDC light for me. Just not on a lanyard around my neck. I keep it in my "bail out" bag. This is the gadget bag that goes where I go (Much of the time). I keep often used tools, toys, pens, lights, spear batteries, camera, you should get the picture. I use the Lunasol 27 at light when OUTSIDE. I find the Lunasol 27 larger reflector works GREAT on night walks, also allowing me to use the wide beam to examine flora and natures other wonders close up. Unfortunately I do not find myself using the Lunasol 27 at work. There is no good reason to NOT use it at work it is just that the slightly smaller form factor of the lunasol 20 is a better flashlight for EDC neck worn Lanyard carry. That extra ounce adds up.

The Lunasol 20 still amazes me in terns of the fit and finish of the machine work. the titanium is so smooth it has a wonderful feel to it.

To be completely frank with you guys. I have to say that even though I paid for these lights that I am a very fortunate person to be able to have them. I understand that just one lunasol would be a dream come true for some people.
I feel really lucky to have them. The amount of work I did in order to be able to own them is HUGE. I worked very hard for them.

Soon Don will ramp up production (I hope) as he did with the orignal PD. I seem to remember it started with a trickle and Don produced many of them in the end. My hope is that the same will be true of the Lunasol 20.
It is that good a light that as many people as possible should have this light at the top of their list. The funny thing is that there is little discussion about these lights away from this forum. Not many public reviews.
I have a feeling that if it were mentioned in a different part of the CPF you might get a blank stare due to lack of knowledge. Maybe that is for the best.
To be sure the Lunasol is not for everybody. NO it doesn't have lots of "modes" or levels or SOS or any other BS. Some here thrive on those things. So the Lunasol 20 would naturally be off their radar.
Price is another stopper for many people. as is the idea that titanium is just a "fashion" those of us who use these lights on a daily basis know different.
I would rather own one Lunasol made by Don than 20 or 30 of the imports so revered by some.
OK that's it.
I figured it was time for a new Yaesumofo Lunasol thread.
I am very interested in hearing about how it really is fitting into your mode of use.
So please share your experience with us.
Yaesumofo

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I figured it was time for a new Yaesumofo Lunasol thread.
I was thinking the exact same thing:D

My two 'at work' EDC's are the SunDrop & the LunaSol 20. The SunDrop came first, as I highly value any light that excels at close up work. The combination of broad, even flood + correct color rendering, made this a must have light.

My other light used to be a Ti McClicky Pak with E1B head. IMO, this is as good a package as you can get today for not much money. The drawback to it is the TIR optic, which produces a tight hotspot on either low or high ... it didn't take long before that got really old.

A fellow member offered his LS20 for my Ti Pak + cash. Like Yaesu, he loves his LS27 and will not part with it.

For me, the LS20 is a near perfect work light. Form is nearly identical to the SunDrop, length is 1/2" greater. The low flood gets used most of the time, with high beam only a twist or a push away. There is great satisfaction in having two lights so nearly identical in feel, knowing that either will work in the cigar grip, or that either will feel good with a full hand grip.

I never planned to buy two McGizmo's, but they make a great pair. If only one could be purchased, the LS20 is the easy choice. That's the light that gets used 75% of the time. It replaced a NovaTac 120P, which is a versatile unit with a beautiful beam. But the NovaTac didn't have a low flood setting, a valuable feature of the LS20.

I believe this is just the start of a line of offerings in this form. Who knows what The Don will cook up next, but he's set the bar high with the LS20.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LS20 is not the best light for any particular situation, but can handle almost ANY situation with a high level of effectiveness. The fact that it comes in an easy to carry form ensures that I will have it on me at all times.

For me, the LS20 is a light without peer, and I see it being the next 'big' format once the larger manufacturers start copying it.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yaesumofo,

Can't have too many LunaSol threads! But, yes, I totally agree that the LS20 needs more exposure in the other parts of the forum. I am working hard to rectify that situation. I hope to have my review of the LS20 finished within the month, and I hope that my excitement and appreciation for the LunaSol shows through even more than it did in my SF A2 thread!

I love love love this light! Love it. I too sold off a fair number of lights, and made Brightnorm a regulated TigerLight, in order to be able to own the LunaSol with a clear conscience. More than that, though, when I made the decision to keep it, after about three or four days of using it, I also just didn't feel the need to own as many lights. The satisfaction of owning the LunaSol overwhelmed whatever lingering appreciation I may have had for those other lights, which mostly didn't get used.

The LunaSol 20 isn't a good light for me. The LunaSol 20 is a fantastic light for me! I never thought I would appreciate a light this much. But I do. And it's not fading. No, my appreciation is only increasing.

I will keep my reasons to myself right now, in anticipation of my review thread, but suffice it to say that this light is very, very useful, and is indeed without peer, in a class of its own. I feel extremely lucky to own one.

Thank you, Don. Thank you. I really, really, REALLY appreciate it, and I will never forget it. You making this light for me may not have been that much of an inconvenience for you, but it has been a great blessing for me. I felt this way, a long time ago with the Arc LSH, and with the SF A2, but this time, this light, tops them both hands down. And it's the synergy of the parts, the characteristics, that does it--the total design, the total light--and not the wow-factor of any one thing pushing the envelope. She's an unobtrusive, unobnoxious, graceful, beautiful little light, she is, but in my estimation, she's the best EDC yet made. Period. A crowning acheivement, Don. Awesome.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey js, I was wondering about your review for the LS20. I look forward to reading it!!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't really need top see a review of the Lunasol 20 because I know how useful it is, I do think that the rest of the flashlight world does.
There is no doubt about it the lunasol concept really is a terribly kept secret. It is like our private little light. Sort of like the orignal PD was a quietly successful flashlight over time. The combination of a good complete review and increased production should help to get people talking about it like we do but out there...if you know what I mean.

The idea of dual beams is not particularly new. The A2, does it, as do a number of other lights. The trick is that the Lunasol is different. The Custom reflector makes the light totally unique. Don's experience with the Mule as well as with household lighting fixtures which are based upon LED lighting gives him a very unique perspective to work from. It is like the Lunasol concept (which is a concept older than the mule I believe) is the evolution of two lights merged into one, the Mule and PD. IN a funny sort of way it takes a twisted mind to figure this out and manage to execute it so well.
Just because I have a couple of these it doesn't mean that I am not going to remain interested in further developments of the Lunasol concept. Heck I can't wait to see these lights solve. A two cell Lunasol 27 with incredible runtime would be welcome to some (Not me particularly but some) As has been previously mentioned several times the idea of increasing the dynamic range of the light, I have a feeling that we might see something which achieves this. Pure gut. Don is not exactly predictable... hell that would take the fun out of it.

The Lunasol 20 continues to impress anybody who notices it. Today a stranger noticed it. I am not in the habit of handing my flashlights over to strangers. This guy just had to know about it. So I told him and showed him the low and high beams. At one point he got himself into a position just when I engaged the high he was there to receive the full power of it in his eyes at about 2 foot. Well he was certainly speechless after the hit of light I gave him. It was pretty funny.

I love how a guy who doesn't know will almost always ain the light into the face and engage. I :crackup: my *** off every time.
NO the Lunasol 20 is not the brightest light I have but it certainly holds it's own against a knuckelheads eyes. One just has to hope they don't drop the light as a reflex. (in this case the guy was not holding the light when he got blasted)Talk about seeing the light...
Yaesumofo

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no doubt about it the lunasol concept really is a terribly kept secret.
I don't think so :duh2: . Not with your 10000 posts mentioning it and the 27 all over CPF :) . I have admittedly grown to appreciate your ambassadorship of McGizmo lights :thumbsup: . That said, why not pose this question in General Flashlight Discussion, or LED Flashlights? Be persistent in introducing these lights to the masses!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved my lunasol 20. Really, I did. Just not as much as the Pd-s. The Ti PD-S is still, FOR ME (note that pat....FOR ME) the ultimate EDC light. I don't have much need in my life for the even area-lighting that the LS20 offered...well, at least not as much need as I have for the low on the PD. BUT....when I am in the house, I often regret selling the LS20.

Maybe in the next wave there will be another one for me.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
why not pose this question in General Flashlight Discussion

I fear that this topic, posted in the General or LED section, would implode into a comparison with $10 lights from Katmandu ... or a review titled McGizmo vs. World's Cheapest Flashlight:eek:

Most of The World gets by on lights costing under $10 ... call it 80%.

Some users move into the lights costing up to $50 ... perhaps 15%.

Those spending up to $250 ... maybe 4%.

Which leaves the one-per centers. Few people understand why anyone would invest so much in "just a flashlight" ... which is why this discussion seems most appropriate here.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fear that this topic, posted in the General or LED section, would implode into a comparison with $10 lights from Katmandu ... or a review titled McGizmo vs. World's Cheapest Flashlight:eek:

Some users move into the lights costing up to $50 ... perhaps 15%.

Those spending up to $250 ... maybe 4%.

Which leaves the one-per centers. Few people understand why anyone would invest so much in "just a flashlight" ... which is why this discussion seems most appropriate here.
Yep, well said...I own a Lunasol27 and frankly the only benefit I see from owning a LS20 is size. The heavenly flood that emanates from those Nichias is just perfect for "lost key hunting", "dropped cell phone at the movies hunting", "midnight pipi runs" , and all other chores that make a high-power light , just too much...then you add the turbo speed of the Cree and its perfect, period. If the LS20 actually came with a Cree, and 6 Nichias :eek:........ But dreaming is free, right Don :devil:??

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel a good comparison would be between LS20 and the Arc6 although as far most are concerned unobtanium. Two similar lights off on a slightly different course.

Also, i feel the 80% figure is too low. More like 99%...

That said, I'm still spoiled by the LS27...Who said a bigger bulge in the pocket is not a good thing? I took a PD-S over a S27 as there never seemed much gain from the larger head. The LS27 is in a different class. The LS20 has such a smooth turning head that makes me grab it over the PD-S. Anyway, no matter my illumination horizon has been expanded.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This idea of a more powerful emitter in a smaller head speaks to the general desire of people on the cpf towards POWER. The Lunasol concept is not about power it is about utility.

Besides You don't really have to dream. The light is called the Lunasol 27. it is not a dream but a reality.

I like the utilityb of both of these lights just as they are. (that is not to say that I wouldn't welcome new versions...
Yaesumofo
.then you add the turbo speed of the Cree and its perfect, period. If the LS20 actually came with a Cree, and 6 Nichias :eek:........ But dreaming is free, right Don :devil:??

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is people here are already aware of the virtues of the LS20/27. No sense in arguing points with those already in the know. Whether or not the discussion evolves into one revolving around McGizmo vs. DX, there will always be those who can easily afford afford McGizmo lights and will appreciate the introduction :) .

precisionworks

Flashaholic
there will always be those who can easily afford afford McGizmo lights
You must be talking about someone else ... my day job pays the bills, and my nights in the shop buys the toys. And it takes a bunch of those to buy just one McGizmo:mecry:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You must be talking about someone else ... my day job pays the bills, and my nights in the shop buys the toys. And it takes a bunch of those to buy just one McGizmo:mecry:

I would also have to have an extra income to afford a Ti McGizmo light, or sell off several of my lights. We are not just talking rich people buying Don's lights, but ordinary people with jobs that have to scrape money together to afford a quality light. I have yet to buy one of the Ti lights, but down the road.....

Bill

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
This idea of a more powerful emitter in a smaller head speaks to the general desire of people on the cpf towards POWER. The Lunasol concept is not about power it is about utility.

Besides You don't really have to dream. The light is called the Lunasol 27. it is not a dream but a reality.

I like the utilityb of both of these lights just as they are. (that is not to say that I wouldn't welcome new versions...
Yaesumofo
O , indeed the LS27 is a reality , but imagine all that crammed in the pocket sized LS20 head. I guess I'm so spoiled by Cree/K2 power , that I can't seem to imagine any other led taking their place. I'm yet to give a LS20 a spin, and by the comments from owners , the power is more than enough , but you know what powerful men crave.....more power.:D

paulr

Flashaholic
An LS (initially LS27) was once high on my "want" list and I had a chance to get one on Custom BST for the original price shortly after one of the waves hit, but I had unsuspectingly bought a new laptop just before the first LS27 wave, so I decided to financially recover for a while before making any further non-urgent expenditures. (If the LS27 had come out first, I might have bought one and kept using my old laptop for a while longer). I was still in this recovery mode when the LS20 arrived, and I went back and forth for a while about which I wanted when I could spring for one ("buy both" is of course always the ideal approach, but harder to do at this price level). A few paychecks later, I had the cash, but by then I didn't crave an LS quite as intensely as before.

While the Lunasols seems like great multi-purpose lights, my thoughts went something like: 1) The LS27 could be hard to EDC in my pocket because of its bezel diameter; 2) I rarely care about throw in an EDC light and I'm still in love with the flood beam of my two Mules; 3) The LS20 flood is apparently not at the level of the Mule or LS27 because of obvious tradeoffs from making the head smaller; 4) Finally, the PD switch (while brilliant) is a bit difficult for me to operate because of hand issues from too much computer keyboard pounding. So I mostly use my Aleph McClicky Mule even in preference to the Mule PD which in other regards is a nicer light.

Anyway, the dilemma was resolved when the SunDrop came out and I knew I had to have one--and (ta da!) I now have one on the way (thanks, Don!!!! :bow:). Finances permitting there may still be a Lunasol in my future someday, but it's receded a bit for me now. There is a Fenix P1CE in my backpack for the occasions when I want a light with throw, which is infrequently enough that I can't see buying an exotic light for that purpose.

As for the expense of these lights, I will be bold and claim that they are affordable to most CPF'ers who want them enough. There are a few of us who can toss such amounts of cash like pocket change, and a few more who are having difficult times for whatever reason and couldn't buy a Lunasol without incurring significant real hardship. But for most of us (like me) it's simply a matter of priorities. Those of us who find the Lunasol out of reach but have a nice TV set simply made a financial choice that favored the TV over the Lunasol. That choice is perfectly legitimate but reflects one's own relative interests rather than being inherent in the flashlight. Of course I wouldn't apply this to the general population, a lot of whom are really struggling to get by (half the world's population has never even made a phone call) so expensive flashlights are completely out of the picture. But CPF'ers are a somewhat self-limiting group since we just about all have our own computers, have time to hang out on forums, etc., so while we're generally not rich, most of us are not really broke. If we don't buy a Lunasol that's just a choice that we made because there was something else that we desired more. It's not out of reach in the way that a house or a sports car might be.

Me, I used to buy a lot of lower priced lights but I do that much less now, so one or two of these high end lights a year ends up about the same total expenditure level. That isn't so expensive in the scheme of things. It's equivalent to going to the movies a few times a month or getting a fancy cable TV subscription, but a lot more satisfying from my point of view. And the money isn't even really gone, in the sense that the lights hold their value if your interests change or a situation arises where you've got to cover some more important expense.

Last edited:
The LunaSol 20 a good light for me? You betcha. I, too, have been EDC'ing this one every single day since I got it, even though I wear a suit. It's big for pocket carry, to be sure, but that doesn't bother me. The light is so cool, so beautiful, so useful, that I never want to be without it.

Like others, I struggle between my ALL-TIME favorite EDC, the Ti PD-S, and the LunaSol 20. In fact, most of the time I can never make up my mind definitively and so will carry both. The PD-S is still the best-looking light ever made, IMO. The fluted head is just rockin' good-looking.

So, bottom line: when it comes right down to it, the LunaSol 20 and the PD-S will continue to be carried by me daily. I can't be without 'em. :D

toby_pra

Flashaholic
The LunaSol 20 a good light for me? You betcha. I, too, have been EDC'ing this one every single day since I got it, even though I wear a suit. It's big for pocket carry, to be sure, but that doesn't bother me. The light is so cool, so beautiful, so useful, that I never want to be without it.

Like others, I struggle between my ALL-TIME favorite EDC, the Ti PD-S, and the LunaSol 20. In fact, most of the time I can never make up my mind definitively and so will carry both. The PD-S is still the best-looking light ever made, IMO. The fluted head is just rockin' good-looking.

So, bottom line: when it comes right down to it, the LunaSol 20 and the PD-S will continue to be carried by me daily. I can't be without 'em. :D

Its so hard to decide which McGizmo ist my favorite...:nana:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I have yet to buy one of the Ti lights
I used to say that too:oops:

The LS20 is a great McGizmo to start with, IMO. Small enough to carry most any time, bright enough on high to light up anything within a reasonable distance, and plenty of low flood for close up use. To me, it is the SF A2 in a vastly updated & smaller version.

the PD switch (while brilliant) is a bit difficult for me to operate
I never would have thought of that, but can surely appreciate how it might be hard for some users. I like having the choice of push/push or twist/twist ... and also like the clicky on the SunDrop.