Is Wicked Lasers over? Who is next?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to be nasty or anything but personally i think its great that wicked lasers are no longer shipping above 5mW to the U.S, the amount of youtube videos where people fling >1W lasers around like toys and thus encouraging their viewers to do the same thing is horrendous, the best thing to do in my opinion is to not only buy from someone on a forum like LPF but to also read through that forum and especially stickies so that you can safely operate your laser without causing harm to yourself, others or the unit itself.

Its better that these things are still moderately attainable then for just anyone to purchase one that they saw in a video, you guys are lucky your limit is 5mW, im from Australia and they just flat out banned handhelds over 1mW (Mind you this doesnt ban modules or any 'non handheld' device).
:twothumbs

You're not going to get many supporters here, but I agree 100%. These things are fine in the hands of a responsible knowledgable adult, but you can't control the type of people who use them. Unfortunately, powerful lasers are still very easy to get hold of. A lot of the ebay lasers from HK and China are advertised as 5mW but are more like 25mW.

livingsurvival

Newly Enlightened
They are offering me 10 of these. Should I get them? I was going to do a video and tape all 10 together.

Candle_Kid

Newly Enlightened
i see their site that they say they will not ship >5mW to US, not sure why, Fed law does not restrict laser ownership, but there are restrictions on how a laser is named, as example, >5mW sold as a "pointer" is not legal. so why dont they just call them "lasers", period.

i sent email to WL asking why they dont just rename the >5mW products to something like "lab grade laser".
your thoughts?

I would recommend going to www.laserpointerforums.com for Laser Pointers. Very large selection
much of the items on lpf site do not match the description, so buyer beware.

Last edited:

Candle_Kid

Newly Enlightened
here's their reply. if a >5mW laser comes to customs they do not have authority to seize it if it is not labeled as a "pointer".
Hello,
The customer service team has not been informed by our management regarding the details of the shipping restriction.
We were only informed that our company will no longer offer lasers over 5mW to US customers at the start of this year.

However, we do know that customs is restricting importation although it is legal to own lasers in the US. They may even seize the shipment similar to what Australia, Canada and Switzerland is doing now.

jastinbib

Newly Enlightened
Maybe u should try another site.such as htpow.com , laserpointerpro.com ,I had get some lasers from them,and not so bad!Or you can find laser provider at the laserpointerforum.com .