Is your flashaholism waning?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should add that my flasholism waning does not correlate to a similar action for this forum. As soon as my paypal transfer clears, I intend to become a sponsor again. Also, I still intend on buying a few/several lights as Christmas gifts and so will need to keep on top of things. What would change my mind about purchasing a light for myself is that if Arc or someone would ever come out with a similar sized keychain light, brighter then the ArcAAA but have just as long of a runtime.

Darell

Flashaholic
My enthusiasm comes and goes in cycles. I get so worked up sometimes that I buy and build like a mad-man. And then I get interested in other projects... but I always come back to lights. My enthusiasm does NOT stay at a fever pitch continuously though.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yeah, a little. As someone said, I'm more of a practical flashaholic. But I am also a pure collector at times also.

mag charger: go to light around house, we live in the middle of a 100+ acre pretty cleared field, actually thinking about selling it though

stinger: useful outdoor light when MC is too heavy, need to replace a dead battery though, could be a MC replacement if a little brighter, piggyback charger because of short runtime

a2: frivilous camping light, could do without it though

uke4aa eled: new light, awesome, likely to be sole camping light, 12 hour regulated runtime!

zipka: camping or climbing around in the attic

1LTT for the truck

2LTT for the car

tec40 to leave in the 4 wheeler

mag 3c with everled: bought with intention of using, very functional light, always say this is likely my top choice if I could only have 1 light

stoplight: highly useful, not used because I have plenty of highly useful lights

eternalight: bought long time ago, keep because of the cool factor, more of a collection piece, could be a useful light on my week-long mtb bike trip that's coming next year though

arc aaa: keychain, would not want to part with this

arc aa: neat, would sell, too big for keychain, would rather have mag solitaire than this on my keychain

here comes the big one...

minimag collection: every color, and I mean every one, a dated pic of this is avilable on roy's thread, since then I have added the copper and the americana collection, custom mahogany case is being built as we speak

I've got different needs than a lot of people here. Not to sound too....... elitest(?), but I use these a LOT. This spring I was working on a project. Every DAY I was using up my mag charger with 2 batteries and 3 batteries through my stinger. It was all outside, and good color rendition was needed, along with throw. Incans were about the only choice. That has kept me away from leds to a degree. I even sold my arc ls recently.

No interest in the lionheart, vip, etc. Would have bought a blaster if Wayne would ship faster.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yes...

But it is almost ENTIRELY budget related!!!

I can't afford cool custom lights. I do simple stuff to M*glights and other lights (extra C cell in D lights, some CR2 in AA lights etc.).

I find my most used lights to be a TT2L with Kroll and a Minim*g with a Madmax and a C/D reflector taped to it! When I need something bigger and brighter a 3D M*g with 4 NimH C and Acrylite gets the nod.

The TT is the only light I can afford to keep feeding 123s to.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
When I become aware of LED flashlights four or five years ago, I was immediately enthralled. And I still am. I use LED lights exclusively now. I own many but many of you own many more. Truth be told though the only ones I use on a regular basis are my Arc AAA, my Eternalight, my Chop modified E2/KL1, my VIP and once in awhile my SNII. I have other's some not too shabby that just sit around unused. Now I read Charlie is about to top himself yet again with the LionHeart and frankly I'm just not interested because I have all the lights I need. I no longer feel a desire to own such a thing just for the sake of what it is. I dare say I will not buy a single flashlight for myself for the rest of the year. My hope is that higher power Luxeon's will continue to get cheaper so that I can expose other's to the wonderful world of better lighting but not for myself.

Anybody feel the same way or is it blashphemy to suggest such a thing and I'm going straight to the purgatory!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm finding that I am heading in that same direction. Even worse, I find that I'm losing interest. I have less and and less time to "be bothered", for lack of a better term. I have all the lights I need for just about any task. Why continue to spend time and more importantly money trying to find that one perfect light. For EDC, I'm almost retired my Arc4x in leu of either my FF-II or Blackbird. If I "know" that I need more than that, I'll grab the L5 or high-end modded MAG. For incandescent, the UltraStinger that sits in the charger is fine or I have the Surge if I'm on the move. I really don't need anything else. I'd expect within the next several months, my participation here will dwindle to a visit once a month or so. You'll see this as evident by the lights I'll be selling on B/S/T.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
For right now, I feel that I have some of the best lights available and I don't have any niches to fill. I've got a great spotlight, there's a few 2-123 cells 5watters, a few single 123 1W lights with one in particular that's adjustable brightness, and the plethora of AA and coin cell nichia lights.

Untill someone comes up with a single AA sized 1W led light with at least 3 brightness settings, is "water-resistant" and has good throw, then I'm out of the market for a while.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the cycle is handguns, rodbuilding/fishing, knives, and flashlights. I normaly go through periods of interest/disinterest for all topics. I usually find myself switching off when I feel like I have answered whatever "question" I had. Flashlights are currently at the top (but I am the peak, looking down to the trough) and the two main questions are "what is the best EDC for me", and "do I have the right lights for a natural disaster".

I'll bet in a few months, I'll have switched over to one of the other intrests, but will definitely come back to CPF when I catch a glimpse of the latest custom...

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny how things change, the better the lights have become, the more reluctant we are to keep buying lights that don't measure up. With the two VIP's that I have just purchased, BBH's to match and firefly I and II's and the LionHeart coming up, what more could one want? I've got a 3 mil cp double spotlight Vector from target for $44 and a few blasters, not counting a couple McLux's, what else? Anyone see how few posts there are in the incandescent section? it's 10% of the led section.

83Venture

Enlightened
I seem to be buying accessories for my lights such as different battery packs, switches, tail ends etc (VIP, ARC) as actual lights lately. Still waiting on my Fire~fly and am on Charlies list for the LionHeart.

Last few lights have all been 3 Watt, variable output types. I think I am slowing down the number of lights I buy but they are the more expensive Hi end kind that combine many features I like.

I am looking foward to see what will be offered in the 5 Watt catagory next. I have also noticed how little is going on in the incandescent section. There was even a thread on it asking if it was dieing.

DaveT

Enlightened
I remember last year's similar thread, and having trouble relating...However, I think I'm now reaching that stage - although I 'm not there yet.
My EDC is (are?) an Arc4 second and an Arc AAA on a bead chain...plus another Arc AAA on the keychain.
My around home/car lights have basically boiled down to SL Twintask 2Ls, Pelican M6s for small incan "throw" lights, PALights on the nightstands and in the bathrooms, and Infinity Ultras/Ultra Gs stashed around, a few various Arcs. I have a few mod and fun lights to round it out, but the Arcs and PALs are what get the most use.
Like a lot of people here at CPF, I've had a variety of lights pass through my hands...stuff I liked but couldn't justify keeping, wouldn't carry, etc. It's been good to help clarify what I'm looking for. Somehow, I've avoided being bit by the Surefire bug.
I find that lately I've been buying lights for friends and family - I turned several friends on to Arc AAAs during the huge July 4th sale last year (and gifted others to friends/family), and traded to a friend to get him an Arc AA and Arc LSH. I gave Twintask 1Ls to my brothers and sisters, one sister got a Minimag with a BB400, some Arc 4 seconds and Arc LSH seconds have made the rounds, and I "traded" my dad several of his crappy plastic 2AA lights for a Uke 4AA eLED, SL Propolymer 4AA LED, and Opalec Newbeam in his Minimag.
That said, it never seems to be quite over...I nearly cried when I didn't sign up for the VIP, but after trying the Mag 2C/3x123/KPR112, I see some hotwire fun in my future. Got in on the superbulb/reflector group buy, and now it's time for accessories - flashlightlens lenses, 3-to-D holders, rechargeable batts...maybe I'm not slowing down that much.
Dave

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
If by "waning" you mean a reduction of the rate of acquisition, then certainly, I'd have to give a big YES to that. But there are many flavors of flashaholism, right? I mean, anyone who even spends 7+ hours a week on CPF will probably be branded "flashaholic" by friends and relatives, even if he or she isn't buying a lot of lights.

For me, I find that my disease transforms slowly over time and takes on different shapes so that at one time I will never even vist a particular forum, and then at another time, I spend almost all of my time there. Then I'll get the urge to change the nature of my light "collection" (I'm not into collecting as such and never will be I don't think) and will start getting obsessed over a possible new purchase, sale of old lights, etc.

Anyway, I have found that the total number of lights I own has stayed more or less the same for the last year if not longer. Yet this in no way indicates a wane in my disease. It's getting worse. Much worse. Especially if you use the number of hours spent per week on flashlight related stuff as an index. It couldn't be much worse at the moment.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
At least 98% of the time when I log on to CPF, I'm right here in the Cafe.

A little of everything! Music, movies, cars, guns, knives, flashlights, COMPUTERS!!! etc.

Also got most of my house done up with CFLs (a bit of participation in general lighting).

I hardly ever look at BST, LED category is running a bit more expensive than I can afford etc.

I ain't likely to go away... just won't be spending much money on lights!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, not waning.

I collect lights (and anything lighting related...particularly CF light bulbs, and my streetlight collection has now started too), as well as review them.

Buying is on hold though, for one simple reason. I'm a student, have £200 in the bank, and that needs to last me until the end of September...so things like food take priority!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A funny thing is happening, I am somewhat content with my flashlight collection and now they are falling out of the sky!

The story goes this way: I write a suggested list of 30 things to bring to a deployed area (I am a medic in the USAF) Everything from sand goggles, titanium sporks, USB flash drives and ummmm... flashlights! On the list (with web links) is the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon 2AA and Peak LED Solutions single AA 3 red LED light in aluminum. (blackout conditions, NOT to preserve night vision)

Anyway, the guys at work order five Streamlight Jrs and they are equipped. An order flys out a few days later for the Peak blackout lights. Meanwhile, I order a WX1S Luxeon V from a fellow CPF'er. These are all connected in a way I find interesting.

Last Thursday, my Luxeon V comes in a package but it feels heavy. I open it up to see the WX1S but there is an Arc AA with it! The CPF'er threw in the Arc as a present. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I have one on a lanyard so it will be my reading light in the sandbox. Life is good!

Friday comes along and supply guy comes and with an "accidental" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif double order so I have 5 more of the Jr. Luxeons. I hand them over to our deployment folks to give to people heading to the sandbox. So they throw me one since I don't have one. Hmmmm, two freebies in two days.

Today, the Peak blackout lights come in, they added to the order because they noted I did not order one for myself. Whew! Three workdays and three freebies in a row!

When I get back in January, the Peak blackout light will be put in storage for the next folks leaving. I get to keep the Streamlight as I use it at work.

Tomorrow is Tuesday, I am probably going to find a Surefire L4 on the side of the road the way things are going. At least with an Arc AAA, Arc AAA red LED, two Arc AA, Peak 5 red LED and Peak 3 red LED lights... I should be covered for my lower powered lighting needs.

I am going to look really strange taking 15 flashlights with me, at least my wife will have two or three left if she needs them. When it rains...it pours!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
BentheadTX, LOL!!!

You've got some good karma going, you can never have too many flashlights (even tho I said I had enough earlier in this thread).

Stay safe,
daloosh