iTunes Plus 256kbps DRM-free AAC files now standard on iTunes

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, they just renamed whatever it was called before.

Re. the capacity of iPods: For the shuffle, they (always) had the option to reduce the bitrate to 128 kbps AAC, even if the version on your HD and your iTunes library was 256 only. Let's face it, for the shuffle you don't need the high quality (I personally don't hear much difference anyway). Makes transfer times a little longer, though.

I did not know that. Interesting. My mom has a shuffle, but I've never even seen one in person.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I just also wanted to mention that in addition to the entire content (current) of iTunes now being 256kbps AAC DRM-free, many albums now come with a "digital booklet" that is exactly the liner notes of the standard, physical CD version. Often one needs to buy the "delux" version of whatever album it is in order to get the digital booklet, but even so, it's a nice and worthwhile addition for those of us who care about such things, making it even more attractive to just skip buying the physical CD and then riping it into your library. My CD's just sit in stacks somewhere, so even though I do have the liner notes, I don't have easy access to them, which makes the idea of a digital booklet liner-notes file very attractive.

da.gee

Enlightened
Once iTunes Plus came out I would not buy 128k versions of anything. I'm sure this had something to do with Apple's decision.

Thumbs up for no DRM although I think I read there are still tags in the files that indicate Apple as source. Who knows what evil they'll do with that info someday? (Cue "evil laugh" audio track.)