• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Jeers to Banggood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendee

Enlightened
Jeers to Banggood.

I just received my order of two Samsung INR18650 30Q batteries.

I was shocked when I saw this package! The batteries are lose in a paper envelopes taped together, both envelopes have pre-punched holes in them where debris can get it. The envelopes are torn and it's obvious that they had been banged around in the mail. At first I thought just one battery was exposed through a rip but then saw the second battery exposed as well. So, both batteries are exposed through rips in the envelopes.

The shipping label, rather than identify batteries, says "charger" and rather than "dangerous goods", it's marked "merchandise".

This package arrived in Vancouver before being shipped to me, which took less than 48 hours from Vancouver (the other side of the country). I'm assuming the package was sent via air once in Canada, but I can't be certain. Either way, this package is unsafe.

Every other battery I've ever received from other companies has been in a plastic case and well packed in a cardboard box (and properly labeled).

I feel like I have just received a package that was pulled out of the clearance bin at the discount dollar store. Horrible! I'm not sure if the batteries are safe to use after being banged around in the mail.

Does Banggood feel this is a safe way to transport unprotected high discharge INR batteries between countries? Even if the shipment was for something other than batteries, is this how Banggood packages their items?

To top it off, the mailman left a key for the parcel box with the envelope. Isn't it dangerous for batteries and metal object to come in contact with each other? :poof: I guess the key didn't touch either of the batteries, thank goodness.

I have more batteries on the way too (ordered around the same time) and I'm wondering if I should call the post office and give the tracking number so they can pull the envelope. Maybe I'm over reacting but I don't want anyone to get hurt. I'm not sure what to do. :confused:

BATTERY #1
banggood%20package%202_zpsnn4dx3mn.jpg

BATTERY #2
banggood%20battery%202_zps6rhpdx9a.jpg

banggood%20charger%20label_zpsspzrnarv.jpg

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
I'm surprised they made it out of the Country of origin at all! All post offices in China *are supposed to* inspect ALL packages for batteries before mailing (using Xray machines). As per the international postal union, NO, ZERO, ZIP lithium Ion batteries may be shipped through the postal system, or at least that was the rule a while ago. These rules change frequently, so perhaps something that I was not aware of has changed.

Locally, within Canada, Lithium Ion batteries may be shipped if clearly marked on the outside of the package with the official "Lithium Ion" warning label, and are properly packaged according to the current rules. This only applies to companies and manufacturers/dealers, private persons are not supposed to ship such cells as far as I know. As for Air vs. Ground shipping... unless it's Priority Post, it's going via rubber on the road, in fact you'll notice that it's only "air" mail when it goes outside of North America. Again, these rules change without warning, so I may not be current.

As for being banged around, most Postal services use automated machine sorting for packets and those packages can get dropped from 6+ feet in the air or end up with 4+ feet of other packets on top when piled into a shipping container. The days of a human handling each piece of mail in the system is long gone... Pretty much only the "last mile" is handled directly by a human being.

It's weird that you were able to order those cells, most of the larger Chinese companies like DX, GB etc. in China won't accept orders from NA for lithium Ion cells right now. Hobby King in HK does, but they only ship via FedEX which has special handling included in the price, and it's not that cheap. GearBest is also working on an alternative, but so far it is not finalized as far as I know.

ven

Flashaholic
Banggood.............Bangedgoods!

Very poor and the worrying thing wendee, you will probably be 1 of 100's that day!

Smegheaaad

Newly Enlightened
I know the rules for Jeers reckon you should try and work things out with the company first, but BG deserves immediate shaming for pulling something like this. What a complete and utter joke.

I'm not sure I would touch those cells with a 10-foot pole. There's no way to know how much abuse those batteries have taken, and I'd have zero trust in them at this point. Time to go ask for a refund, methinks, and if they're less than forthcoming, have Paypal deal with it.

Ordinarily I'd reckon that the chance of a short against a flat metal object is pretty low; the heatshrink wrap covers the outside of the battery so that there's significant physical separation between the positive and negative terminals, and a flat object can't get to both ends of the battery to cause a short. However, if they've had the [bleep] kicked out of them, a damaged wrap could allow that. Fortunately, it's pretty simple to see whether the wrap is damaged. Unfortunately, it's impossible to determine the cells' internal state after a ride like that.

FWIW, BG's similar don't-give-a-toss attitude to packaging what was my second or third order with them (and a bunch of hassle trying to resolve said order) is why I try to avoid them wherever possible. I'm not looking for (or expecting) bombproof packaging, but by definition these things are going to travel several thousand miles; it would be nice if the packaging were up to that standard in some minimal way.

scout24

Flashaholic
Certainly worth posting about as a warning to others, but not yet meeting Jeer criteria. Feel free to PM me to open it back up to posting if you get somewhere with the company regarding the packaging/ replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.