JETBeam JET-I MK-II review - FR

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
EuroBeetle said:
Smaller,Brighter,and on sale for 95$ right now in Manufacturer corner!

The Fenix P1 is smaller and brighter yet.

If the UI is quick to learn on the MK2 it might be pretty fun. It's also one of the cheapest microprocessor controlled lights on the market.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
The Fenix P1 is smaller and brighter yet.

Ahhh, but Flashaholics are a very fickle lot. Always looking for the "flavor of the month", or in many cases "flavor of the minute". :) Any new feature or slight change to an essentially now-common-feature-set sends them into a "feeding frenzy" of pre-purchases, animated pre-purchase discussions, elation over the new features, horrific disappointment over the one missing feature that the light "should have had" (in their opinion, of course), huge complaint sessions directed at the manufacturer, designer, supply chain and pricing structure, loving adoption of the new product as "favorite" when it finally arrives (or total and complete dismissal, but they keep it anyway "just in case I change my mind about it"), and then a sudden and unexpilcable forgetfullness of the new product as soon as another new sparkly toy (pre)appears on the horizon.

Me? I'm a realist, pessimist, cynic, and (I like to believe) a critical thinker. And a flashaholic. And I... Oooooo - what's that new light in the other discussion thread that hasn't come out yet that everyone is talking about? I have to get one!

What was I ranting about, anyway? Oh well, I need to go jump in on the pre-purchase and buy it so I can start complaining about the one feature I think it's missing! Excuse me!

-----------------

Oh yes... the Jet I MK II... The UI is very easy to use. However, i'm worried about it becomming a "compromise" light. Jack of all trades, master of none. The difference between 65% and 100% to our eyes is very small - almost to the point where 100% is unneeded. Switching back and forth you can barely tell the difference (and I mean BARELY). The 5% mode is good for low-light tasks, but wake up in the middle of the night and 5% is screaming bright to your fully night adapted retinas. For real no-light tasks, the Proton or the HDS on lowest possible setting is perfect. The more I think about it, the more I think the strobe mode is fairly useless, especially for tactical use, since it isn't immediately accessible.

-----------------

I've been going through all my small lights trying to make my new "EDC" pick solidify. Almost to the point of "analysis paralysis" - all analyzing, and no decisions. Well I've pretty much decided - it's going to be the Jet-I MK-I with lithium L91 cell hanging on my belt, at least until something better comes along. Partially due to the fact that my MK-1 seems to be unusually bright (by the meter - my eyes can't really tell the difference), and due to the fact that it is very compact for an AA light. My choice would have been the LiteFlux LF-1, if only the body were a touch more compact, since it also does extremely well with lithium AA in both output and runtime, and has better AA alkaline regulation.

I prefer the versatility of the AA cell lights, but in the 1x123A EDC category my choice is going to be the 123A custom-tubed L2P for it's great regulation, or the Fenix P1 for great output and good runtime if I choose to go that route.

For EDC purposes, the rest are getting shelved for now, except my Arc AAA which is always in my pocket.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam said:
Ahhh, but Flashaholics are a very fickle lot. Always looking for the "flavor of the month", or in many cases "flavor of the minute". :)
I've been going through all my small lights trying to make my new "EDC" pick solidify. Almost to the point of "analysis paralysis" - all analyzing, and no decisions. Well I've pretty much decided - it's going to be the Jet-I MK-I with lithium L91 cell hanging on my belt, at least until something better comes along. Partially due to the fact that my MK-1 seems to be unusually bright (by the meter - my eyes can't really tell the difference), and due to the fact that it is very compact for an AA light. My choice would have been the LiteFlux LF-1, if only the body were a touch more compact, since it also does extremely well with lithium AA in both output and runtime, and has better AA alkaline regulation.

For EDC purposes, the rest are getting shelved for now, except my Arc AAA which is always in my pocket.

Well put! :thumbsup:
A year ago we would of killed for a single AA Luxeon light with decent semi-regulation and now there are what, five different ones? I have a stock Fenix L1P and a MillerMods 1.7 watt UWAJ L1P with two-stage 5 ohm switching. (It is a bicycle helmet light 99% of the time) There is something about a U bin running at 490mA on one NiMH in a L1P that I find beneficial.

If I was going to purchase a L1T/LF1/Jet-I/Nuwaii/Ultrafire class of light, it would be for a gift. I have to consider what the recipient would load into the light which would be either NiMH or alkaline AA cells. Then consider they won't use it on a daily basis so programming is something they won't master very well. For them, it would be a LF-1 since the better clicky and "twist the tail to adjust brightness" would work better for them. Can't beat that it comes with a 2AA body in case they want to use it with more firepower available. My family and friends are not flashaholics and I must remember that.

For me, I would get the LF-1 since they don't pot the thing... dreams of a V or W K2 transplant when they become available. :D That is just the modder in me thinking. As always, YMMV
Just think, a year ago you HAD to run CR123A batteries or two AA batteries to get a Luxeon light... now, a single AA NiMH gives decent firepower. Life is good!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Doug, since the LiteFlux is out of the EDC loop for you...want to sell me yours :). I only have a short time left in which I can recieve lights, and LED Cool probably won't be able to make the cut off. Not even sure if Warren will be able to what with shipping delays :(.

As far as the 5% is concerned, pretty much ANY amount of light other than a low-started Photon Freedom or Rigel starlight will burn just-woken dark-adapted eyes. What I'm looking for is a light that's not too bright to read by, but just bright enough- the Jet MK-II 5% seems to fit the bill and has a crazy-long runtime to boot.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Well Doug, since the LiteFlux is out of the EDC loop for you...want to sell me yours :).

Ahhhhhh.... no. :p ;)

As far as the 5% is concerned, pretty much ANY amount of light other than a low-started Photon Freedom or Rigel starlight will burn just-woken dark-adapted eyes. What I'm looking for is a light that's not too bright to read by, but just bright enough- the Jet MK-II 5% seems to fit the bill and has a crazy-long runtime to boot.

True. However, that's not what I'm looking for in a low output mode. I want a "walk to the john in the dark" light, not a "wake your spouse while walking to the john light". :) If I need more light, I turn on a lamp. :laughing:

Last edited: