Jetbeam RRT-0 Surgery

SFfanman

Enlightened
Howdy,

I am new to the modding thing but I have a pertinent question. Would it be possible to remove the gooey clear ball from above the emitter (R2) and perhaps its holding ring from the Jetbeam RRT-0 head without adversally affecting head dissapation and circuitry function? Ideally, the desired effect would be a bigger hotspot and most likely less throw. I love pretty much everything about this light except for its super small tight hotspot. Any thoughtful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DSCN2783.jpg

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's the LED dome. If you remove it, you will 1) possible destroy the wiring inside the LED, 2) definitely destroy the beam pattern (the dome helps to focus the light from the die) and 3) lose approximately 30-40% of original output, while also decreasing the life of the LED severely, and increasing the risk of damage to the bond wires. The holding ring helps direct light emmitted from the Die upward, creating the 90* viewing angle.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Don't

SFfanman

Enlightened
:faint: Thanks for the warning. I guess I won't be modding my jetbeam anytime soon.

lovecpf

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wanted to swap out the LED, it would be easy enough. I believe the RRT-O uses the XR-E R2, correct?
Unfortunately, that is the highest bin available for the XR-E, but if you wanted to gain some output and lose some throw, you might be able to swap in a Cree XP-G in R4, R5, or (if you can find one) S2 bins. The die in the XP-G is larger than the XR-E, and it has a 115* viewing angle, as opposed to the 90* beam of the XR-E, resulting in a floodier beam pattern.

If you wanted to swap in another LED, and gain some color rendering ability, while losing output, you could swap in a Q3-5A XR-E, which has a warmer color temperature than the R2.

SFfanman

Enlightened
If you wanted to swap out the LED, it would be easy enough. I believe the RRT-O uses the XR-E R2, correct?
Unfortunately, that is the highest bin available for the XR-E, but if you wanted to gain some output and lose some throw, you might be able to swap in a Cree XP-G in R4, R5, or (if you can find one) S2 bins. The die in the XP-G is larger than the XR-E, and it has a 115* viewing angle, as opposed to the 90* beam of the XR-E, resulting in a floodier beam pattern.

If you wanted to swap in another LED, and gain some color rendering ability, while losing output, you could swap in a Q3-5A XR-E, which has a warmer color temperature than the R2.

Yes, you are correct. I would welcome the larger viewing angle but my main goal is to keep the original tint or slightly warmer and increase the hotspot to that of the ex-10 or possible larger. Do you know if swapping a Q3-5A would accomplish this also? Thanks

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not. The Q3-5A is based on the XR-E package, and still has the same viewing angle and die size.

At this point in time, Cree is not producing any neutral XP-G's. Cold, yes, but neutral/warm, no. But bear in mind that that Cree usually produces neutrals and warm LED's a few bins below their most efficient available bin, so the first neutral/warm XP-G's will probably be Q5/R2 efficiencies. That's still pretty efficient, considering that it is a neutral or warm color spectrum.

Also, bear in mind that their are other neutral/warm bins and tints available. Q3-5A just happened to pop into my head first.
But definitely take a look in the LED sub-forum here, look around, search, and if you can't find an answer, ask a question.

Have fun!

Latest posts