John Willis Go bag/e and E bag/Bail out bag

john willis

Newly Enlightened
I had posted in the Jack Bower "24 hour" bag thread but didnt want to hijack that so I started this one.

Here is mod 2. Real diferences are that the zipper opens all the way down. It was hard to get into the other bag fast. There are two handles intead of one. One handle wasnt balanced especially with any kind of weight in the bag. I will probably add a wrap that locks the two pieces together so they act as one, like on a rifle case. The other diference is the PALS I added to the sides and waist belt. I was going to sew a pocket on each side of the zipper opening on both sides for a cell phone, light, etc but decided to keep it clean and went with PALS. I can always atach them to the PALS later.
bag2front.jpg

bag2side.jpg

bag2open.jpg

bag2belt.jpg

bag2backandbottom.jpg

Thank You
John Willis
[email protected]

drizzle

Enlightened
I'm not up on all the bag/military lingo. What is or are PALS? Are those all the straps you have sewn on the oustide?

That's an interesting bag. Really different than others I've seen. If I understand what you're doing, which is to make a clean bag with the ability to attach side pouches of any size all over it, it looks like a cool idea.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
PALS are the webbing you seen sewn around the outside. It's a standard system, and there are a load of accessories you can attach to them, which makes your bag modular and customizable. On the downside, it gives the bag an extremely military look, so you have to decide what's important for your particular bag.

drizzle

Enlightened
Thanks Joe.

When I first looked at the pictures I didn't realize that the "flaps" that folded out were a fanny pack belt; I thought it was a fold out compartment of some kind. That gave me the idea that a compartment like that would be very handy.

The idea would be to have the two flaps unfold as they do on your bag but when they do, a third flap, that is sewn to the bottom of the bag and the bottom of the two side flaps, would fold down. This would create a clean surface with walls on three sides that could be used for eating, changing batteries, or any of the many other things you might need to do when all you have is the dirt around you to set the bag on.

What do you think?

tdhg566

Newly Enlightened
What/where is the "Jack Bower "24 hour" bag thread"?????
huh2.gif

searched but didn't find it TIA

john willis

Newly Enlightened
Jow Talmadges----Ya, the PALS give it away. There are a lot of companies doing it though. Oakley has it on several of their packs. Add mags or other gear to it and its a dead give away. We can sew a flap that covers the top and front of the back to hide it like an atache case has.

Drizzle---I can probably work some thing like that out. I ride dirt bike a lot so of coarse we build helmet and gear bags. They have a slot towards the bottom that runs the lenghth of the bag. In the slot is a piece of thin foam sewn inside 420 pach cloth. When foldered out its probably about 30" wide by 30" lang. This is a perfect place to stand and change your gear when you are out in the dirt or mud

tdhg566 and drizzle here is the other thread. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/111191

Thank You
John Willis
[email protected]

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
john willis said:
Jow Talmadges----Ya, the PALS give it away. There are a lot of companies doing it though. Oakley has it on several of their packs. Add mags or other gear to it and its a dead give away. We can sew a flap that covers the top and front of the back to hide it like an atache case has.

Ya, no doubt, you see the webbing all over, many manufacturers are using it. That wasn't a criticism of your bag, just a point people should keep in mind before buying a bag covered in PALS webbing. I've got packs with PALS on them and just love the modularity, but there are times I don't carry those packs becaues of the military looks. Panels to hide it when you want to look more sporty aren't a bad idea.

john willis

Newly Enlightened
Joe, I agree man. I here you. Thats why Eagle made sub gun cases that looked like racket ball racket covers. They where even marked with "dunlop" or some thing if I remember right.

I am going to make a flap that hides the PALS. I just hav'nt done it yet.

John

john willis

Newly Enlightened
Man i have got to stop this. I put in long days on customers gear but today is Sunday (or was) so I worked on orders for a while (7 hrs) and stopped early (23:00). I figure "well I'll add a shoulder strap to the 2nd bag and call it a night. Its now 05:00 and I have bag 3 done.

A few changes to this bag:
1. No zipper over flap so its easier to get into and zipper is centered middle of bag instead of off set like bags 1 and 2.

2. 1.5" removable shoulder strap.

3. velcro wrap that locks both handles together will also lock to itself so its out of the way if you dont want to use it.

4. 2 pices of 5" long loop velcro on top for ataching name tapes, etc.

5. Its od "master of the obvious"

6. No PALS on bottom.

I am going to make a cover that will atach to the back so it covers the top and hides the PALS on the front like an atache case. I just ran out of time. My 7 year old is out of school and I have to get up with him in 5 hours.

Thank You
John Willis
[email protected]

bag3side.jpg
bag3top.jpg

bag3beltandback.jpg

bag3sideopen.jpg

horizonseeker

Enlightened
it looks a bit large to be comfortable as a fanny bag, how about a small backback strap, something aking to the mountainsmith's "strapette" to supplement the waist strap?

btw, how do we order from you or see a list of what you have, John?

john willis

Newly Enlightened
I built it a a shouldeer bag. It is a bit large to be a fanny pack but when you use it with the shoulder strap it works well as a fanny pack. I might even add another atachment for a second shoulder strap so they can be worn like suspenders.

john willis

Newly Enlightened
Here is the cover in place on the bag. It removable and reversible. OD on one side and TAN on the other.

front view.

e1607938.jpg

Side view. Closes with 1" fstx. on each side.

bagcoverside.jpg

back veiw. Vecro is there because cover is reversable.

bagcoverback.jpg

atachment tabs. 4 on the bottom and 2 a bit higher. You dont have to use the upper two if you prefer to leave them un atached. If you atach the upper two the cover dosnt fall down and expose the back PALS. If you leave them open though you can get to the back Pals faster.

bagcoveratachments.jpg

John Willis
[email protected]

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I ask for pictures of the inside? Are there compartments/pockets inside? Do you have a website? I'm interested in the price of them. They look like they can take a beating. WHo were they specifically designed for?

john willis

Newly Enlightened
There isnt any thing inside yet. The 1st bag had some pockets and slots inside for organization. I had as much time on the internals as I did the outside. Bag one had problems. So bag two was next. I made it open all the way down but I had the zipper covered more than I prefered. Bag 3 is about where I want it to be as far as the outside. I can do them with or with out all the PALs. As for the inside I think I am going to put PALs on one side so all the guys with molle compatible stuff can use there existing pouches. I am thinking I will cover the other side with loop velcro so all the guys with pouckets from there fanny gun packs can stick their existing stuff to it. I can also put pockets and slots inside though.

I dont have any thing on my website right now. I am operating prety lean and all my time and money are going into making gear at this time. I am staying prety busy by word of mouth and old customers that know I am back.

Thay can take a beating. I spent the last 12 years making gear for most every spec ops unit out there. Many of them willing to pay out of their own pockets to have gear built exactly how they wanted it so it wouldnt fail them. I have gear out there that is over 12 years old and its still being used. I have a life-time warranty that you will never have to use.

I built these bags for myself. I have a lot of ideas and improvments I wanted to put into my line but just couldnt implement with out slowing down production. I was feeding over 100 dealers as well as filling government orders. I dont have 35 sewers any more but I do have time to revamp and make some of my own stuff for a bit.

John Willis
[email protected]

tdhg566

Newly Enlightened
Apologies in advance if I should know John Willis (photography is also a hobby of mine and recently I took some "grief" because I had 1,323 posts on dpreview.com but didn't recognize the name of a world famous photographer - go figure)
lolsign.gif
I'm interested in acquiring one or more BOBs for myself and others for various scenarios. Are the bags for sale, and if so, from where and for how much? TIA

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
John: To follow-up the parallel thread on ARFCOM - I think your direction on these bags in a good one. Some modest internal organization feature (improving on the CountyComm Mine bag) is important. I for one would not likely wear it as a butt pack. Molle webbing is okay but not sure the bag is large enough that it needs it on both sides. The full zipper is a good feature. Re: color - I for one prefer tan over OD green. When I'm out with it I'm trying to NOT look pseudo-tactical. A color that blends-in for day-to-day normal use (not in a closet/trunk awaiting an emergency) makes the bag more useful and avoids attracting unwanted attention.

Great work - my complements.

john willis

Newly Enlightened
TDHG566-----I dont expect many to know my name. If you where not in a unit hollywood was trying to make a movie about most probably would'nt of known me. I started and ran a small company called SOE (special operations Equipment). I dont know what these are going to cost. I built them for myself. Ever now and then I have to walk away from production and make some thing for myself. I gues its like some one who paints or sculpts as a relaxation. I posted some pics so friends could see the pics and several people asked me to post on these other forums so I did.

LMTFI------Wats LMTFI stand for? I buuilt this bag more for the car and back than as a every day carry. Thats why there is PALS all over it. I wasnt realy after descreetnes. I did this one in black because a customer of mine of 10 years wanted to see one inod. The 1st was tan and the second was coyote brown498. I can do realy any color. I am working on a bag that looks mor like a computer case that will definitly blend in better. These 1st bags are a bit blocky. They dont look the shape of a bag that every one in the mall is use to seeing. Realy in the end though most of what I do is always some what custom so realy we can do most any thing.

john

Last edited: