Just begging light research and am looking for several recommendations

CupOJoe

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm John.

I stumbled onto flashlight specs just recently when looking for a quality light for home defense and emergency uses. Really had no idea as to the wide array of differences in flashlights. We have a few general cheap flashlights (incandescent and LED), but now I am looking for quality for a few different purposes. I don't require the "best and the brightest" just functional, built well, and relatively cost-effective. Here is what I am shopping for:

1) Practically bright NiMH or Li-Ion lights to keep at my bedside, wife's bedside, as well as at my children's bedsides. Click on/off. Strobe capable. This would be for power outages as well as defense. I assume these lights can use both NiMh and Li-Ion?

2) Best balance of lumens/longevity/size for my EDC bag

3) Best way to light a room during power outages

4) Best light for use in car (disabled at night)

I'm overwhelmed with all of the considerations, so any advice would help. Thanks in advance!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'll take a stab at 3 and 4!

For #3: Fenix CL-20 &/or the Luci Lantern;

For #4: Little Larry with 3 Lithium AAA's: 250-lumens for 90 min; 90-lumens for 600 minutes and likewise 600 minutes for the flashing red with magnet at the end to attach to your stranded car; buy a spare &/or attach the Lumentop Tool to your keychain!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Regarding #1: Never let anyone who isn't fully trained in Li-ion safety and handling procedures use a Li-ion powered light. All it would take is a loved one needing a flashlight and grabbing one of yours just because it's handy, turning the light on to its default max power, and then setting it down somewhere while it's still on - a quick and easy house fire. Like any other family emergency equipment, the flashlights that are in reach of everyone must be simple and safe to operate for everyone; that means basic single-mode lights powered by NiMH cells.

Regarding #3: I'm a fan of ceiling-bounced warm flashlights, as there are many more options for warm emitters in flashlights than lanterns, and no glare. The warm light is cozy and welcoming, not like the cold and sterile cool tints found in most "emergency" lights.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely prefer headlamps for car emergencies where you have to fix something. That way you have both hands free and can more easily achieve whatever you need to do. You can also still hold it as if it were a normal light for situations that call for that type of usage.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Firstly, I'd like to suggest that you read through the first 100 posts of the power outage thread.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mens-How-many-batteries-(for-lights-and-more)

Get some auto on power failure lights, about $10 each, that are plugged into outlets, and come on when the power fails. IMO there should be at least one on each floor of your house including the basement, and the garage. They can be strategically placed so that multiple rooms get some light from one. For example I have one plugged into an extension cord on top of the entertainment unit in the living room that sends some light into the living room, dining room, and entrance foyer, and the stairs to upstairs.

Another one is plugged into an extension cord and placed above the kitchen refrigerator that does the kitchen, and family room.

A flashlight for defense? ... IMO... get some training in hand to hand combat.

For a power outage light, I think that you should look for one or more that will do about 100 lumens.
Many prefer to ceiling bounce a neutral tinted LED flashlight, than to use a lantern.

IMO, there should be at least two car lights.
One, a headlamp for changing tires etc.
The other, perhaps more important is one with a Red Traffic diffuser. It can be used to make the scene safer by directing traffic out of the lane of the disabled vehicle.
I keep a 2AA rayovac indestructible inserted tail first into a diffuser that I keep in a vinyl pouch clamped to my ashtray.
3kAAFBsaJZyDH-rkpFYMJiadvxVZuwkMG5VXfnetnPX8cejdbL0zfLkOBFGgnOkcUOTvZGvxH-ZBycteUd3DQMarDhBUPd6ZxR71ADCP5J5a3Q0tHmdwowf75Uw1zuniCYB2zf5AzKqbKKocPG93UKylUwVBAQz22VHQVmZpZ8uaMlokZ4N2DBgClffb2UWEQ41dsotLYE8O-XgSPszg5gCIE5zEvN81Y3sUjiYEGae9nwSmNcwaE9BKiohCf0g-DZ-gK_IVDMJo_Ocb0Vx_3-Q1onEU8Pr8ZYE8R97dC3-xegyv3pdRCEEPG_F06QpyDR65Qa56pBz_rF-_oy2-ZtRp0bKpE0bV7DyVfZQiNyWsCi9s9LDl9sFrfca9XdLuRmq9_8HW5Gogna9IdT0f0A5peerPpYT8Gr4D0X8qT3faAMJ0JMwBrfSMybjNChSLm3B8yN9EY6iutIlxgxoG6oEUpj-LAddgwIDjJhICLsRB6DqMtgTHorFwL9H2qgbQtyLLDmWhZJ4QEKELuXSTZ3fyrBxdxYJE2lA-5mmCfmeu9ELxa5WMDf_AOpNVldOIGJ1JssXwPZhDBc30pgwOGkTqd7k55-U=w436-h775-no

WoA0zL83Yu7pFvOYF-pMAtBjwHlGIeKpPYMz_dilxtY2DajYCpp1n9bBmob-nYDY2qXToHE8YvE0bzyjQBXqaytAJXYcLc6FXGpLiv5fIJcslX6M2NnKtI8NfQwYQSp90bw9aXxrJbdgxvktp_9GgFlIcWzmh_YFUuskknmcjrciBgi45etyEm4FIQ3Fyu8cTFMKiSz8dneXi86dj3ihkkBZmNsNcYdTbmPGfyTjxuBHe2uiZR3ZPi6IS85FoOjG81oL2dzq51Nl2O3UjxedQ7Szqq5YcFord3eSDTAv6X1hMXWhxkNxIEOqDYu8ZKerLu7q8Lg3xARc0OrIYlMoo5MXj2sOHRE8ub82DTjqsH0gihJMcMjCXUoCVcVeqFQvp8iTxLEr3Rzk7YG6d1vLH6ohKKmKtfI3NFopDNErM2oCF8t0edZI_tyS-6v0zi8YGY7iedeBT3u0530tDNsCQ7wtgghAx_16msTAUgaSQHsboTa7RImePNRN0i2Dgro9I1kuGhJNkikB-InFPmDjRbYJuncxwRNfJWha5qdcmP4GSJA3KEqm8muy7QW2PQdZWm68rSiZWQ2CTBsfY40YfHoQ2cqoNLg=w1378-h775-no

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Well it depends on your budget, My 4 lights right now are 2 headlamps and 2 flashlights.
I keep a peak el capitan #subzero (~8 lumens of warm light for 30+ hours on an AA)
HDS rotary High CRI (0.02-200 lumens easy, 18650)
zebralight h502c (0.01-190 lumens flood light around my neck)
zebralight h603c (0.01 - 900 lumens headlamp

Edit* for a more budget edc type light I would recommend a thrunite t10 NW xpl flashlight.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
2) Best balance of lumens/longevity/size for my EDC bag
I am not a proponent of large lights for edc carry.
I don't carry a bag, my edc is on my key-chain.
In a bag I would carry at least a single AA light... a Eaglatac D25A is highly regarded.
Again in a bag, I'd consider a Convoy S2+ in 18650, or a Manker U11 also in 18650.
The Manker is USB rechargeable, and if carrying a bag, I would most likely also carry a 6600mah power bank, which would allow me to charge my phone a couple of times, plus the light almost once.

CupOJoe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, everyone for the informational and helpful replies.

A flashlight for defense? ... IMO... get some training in hand to hand combat.

Yes, I guess my original post did sound a little silly. I have other "tools" in the home for defense. The intent was to ask about best bedside flashlight for children that would have high lumens as well as a strobe function to give them at least something to hold and aim at an intruder if the need arose.

Reading other replies, I've learned and assume that "Li-ion" batteries are different than "Lithium" batteries that can be bought just about anywhere and that the Lithium batteries are safe and won't be at risk of a possible house fire like in the scenario given.

Thanks again!