Just One Flashlight!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spinning off another thread -- if you could have just one flashlight for the rest of your life, what would it be? Why?

This probably has already been done to death on this forum, so if anyone objects, I'll delete it. Or is this even the right place for the thread?

StuU

Enlightened
If I had to choose one flashlight that would do the most tasks and be extremely reliable, I would have to say that a good workhorse would have to fill the bill. This would probably be the Maglite 2D with a xenon bulb.

After all these years buying and building flashlights, the old 2D Mag is still in use and can do just about everthing from flood to spot. Batteries are cheap and last a long time. It's a handfull but not dauntingly large. Switch is rock solid. The 2-cell xenon bulb is fairly white and lasts a long time. The light itself is rugged and cheap and easily replaced.

If I was to choose an led light, it would probably be a Streamlight 3C- tho it doesn't have the throw when needed. Maybe one of Elektrolumens concoctions would also fill the bill for flood and throw and long battery life?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Rest of your life? For starters, it would have to be rebuildable/repairable/upgradeable(?) Adding EDC'able... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (But I still consider it fortunate that I'm not limited to just one.)

Larry

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Arc LSHF-P with 2AA TSP
Rechargable AAs with close to 3 hour runtime.
Runs fine with alkaline or lithium AAs as well. Alkalines seem to give a much longer moon mode.
Small enough to fit in my pocket, more comfortable to use then smaller lights.
Waterproof, mainly helps when I feel like washing the outside of the light, other then that it's just nice to have.
Light output more than enough for the vast majority of my flashlight needs.
Pretty much all hotspot, all the light goes right where you want it. Beam is pretty even with some minor shadows. Nice and white when it's the only luxeon in use, green tint sometimes. I find it useful for both up close and medium distances (50 feet or so).
Durable, already tossed mine onto the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif from about 3- 3 1/2 feet. Has 2 dents now but no serious harm.
Regulated for flat output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Very nice knurling.
Almost forgot, I much prefer the color of white luxeons to incandescant.

Downsides for me:
Kroll switch, hasn't failed me just likes to flicker every now and again.
A little too skinny for my liking with the 2AA battery pack. A 2x123 or 4xAA battery pack would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Can you have really one thing for the rest of your life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Women ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif
Car ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
House ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Job ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

It's not realistic, we have only one life, so we need all the time all new things, people, women ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) cars,houses, and obviously new flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Hey Frenchy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I know that you only really have ONE flashlight in your collection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Actually, the ONE flashlight that I would like isn't available - yet.

It is 2" long and fits on my keyring.

It has variable intesities (from 10 lumens to 5,000 lumens).

It never gets hot.

It has variable focus - from flood to laser.

Batteries last for 10 hours and cost $1 each.

LED life of 100,000 hours.

Waterproof to 100 metres.

Oh - and it is voice acivated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Any modders up for the challenge?

(Well - I can dream, can't I?)

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Best I have so far is an Arc4+ Rev1 1st. I got lucky and got a very effecient LED in my Rev1 1st. Doesn't get that hot even on level 1 and battery seems to last forever. As far as the light, it should be working long after I'm dead, I reckon.

Psychomodo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FrenchyLed said:
Hello Psychomodo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

And, how do you know that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, OK, you MAY have more than one flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(I can remember seeing a picture of your rather amazing collection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif)

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a trip to flashaholics hell! I don't even want to imagine it, but if I was promised it would never need repaired the surefire U2 might fit the bill with a nice, compact holster. Of course if they made a 3 watt 1 123 version I'd take that instead so I could pocket carry it.

tygger

Enlightened
What about figuring out how many lights you really need in the most conservative estimate. For CPF people that would probably be much more realistic. Thinking of having just one flashlight makes me break out in a cold sweat.
Okay here goes.
1. EDC
2. Work light (for a specific job, etc.)
3. Car light (for emergencies)
4. Home light (something like Elektrolumens Blaster 3P)
5. Totally Waterproof light (just in case)
6. Nightstand emergency light (like Eternalight X-Ray)
7. Keychain light. (photon, arc, etc.)
9. Headlamp (for those like me who camp a lot)
10. Backup light of your choice (you can never be too
careful)
Man, i can't seem to get it down to any less than 10 essential lights. To anyone outside of CPF this would seem outrageous. To me its conservative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

ksbman

Flashaholic*
1. Two-Stage Fire~Fly
2. Currently - MagCharger, L5 (on belt), Fire~Fly (key Ring), SL Septor
3. G2
4. SLGI
6. Pink MiniMag w/ Opalec
7. ARC AAA
8. ?
9. Black Diamond Moonlight
10. ARC LSHF-P

billgr

Newly Enlightened
hopefully the one i have on order: TnC custom AA luxeon (see group buy and pass around). if it puts out about 17 lumens, i'll have a light that uses NiMH AA and wont cost anything to use and will fit in my pocket.....but we'll see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
My .02 It'd be between an Arc LS series with a 2xAA battery pack or the Maglite 2D. Probably the Mag because of it's sturdiness and the availability of batts, bulbs, etc just about anywhere in the world.

Empath

Flashaholic
It's surprising how common "one flashlight" households are. Some of those housesholds will settle for the cheapest Eveready or Garrity flashlight they can find. Other "one flashlight" households buy what they think is the most serviceable, built to last a lifetime. They choose a Maglite. If just one flashlight was all I could have for the rest of my life, I'd probably make the same choice. I'd probably choose either a Mag or a Brinkmann Legend C or D cell light.