KILLER minimag mod

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
OK, I cleaned it up a touch. The edge is simply cut at a 30 degree angle. It looks almost natural now.

turbomm9.jpg

turbomm10.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I took my little killer out now that it's dark. Keep in mind 3 things:

1) The flashlight is only a LuxIII running at about 1.5 watts.
2) The palm tree in the picture is 110 paces from my house, or about 300 feet AND 100 feet high. The picture was taken with a a telephoto lens.
3) The orange glow is reflected street lights on the underside of low clouds. The same settings were used for both photos.

First, a picture of the target. Normally they have 3 flood lights illuminating it from the ground. They turned the lights off just minutes ago.

turbomm11.jpg

Next the target with proper illumination. The killer minimag is the only light on the target.

turbomm12.jpg

With over 300 foot throw, I'd say it was a success. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Raggie, It's a Lux III running about 1.5 watts so it's a bit under driven. With the NX05 optic was getting about 30 Lumens. It's registering 44 lumens with the turbo and 6230 LUX at 1 meter

Daniel

raggie33

*the raggedier*
opps misread it lol very cool lightt it mazeing how far it throws

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
An increase in lumens with turbo head? I really think we are going to find that lumens, not just lux are wasted by optics, and that reflectors really get the lumens out there. We are depending on amps for an increase in light output, when maybe we should be looking at reflectors.

Bill

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It really depends on how much room you have to work with and how much light you want in the spill. When you go real small and want most of the light collimated, an optic is a good way to do it. Real small reflectors just don't do the same job with the photons that exit teh led at an angle. Big reflectors, on the other hand , do real well!

Daniel

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Look at what the PR head is putting out with relatively small flashlights. And SureFires orange peel reflectors on their small lights. I think allowing more lumens out and not trapped by surfaces of optics. EL's 30mm optic is a good thrower, but it is much larger than the little dudes in MM mods, Arcs, etc.

Bill

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I wish I could put a picture of mine here...

Think GHETTO!!!!!

An at least 12 year old somewhat beat up mini.

A blue outside C/D reflector Sport Taped to the mini.

A lense (stock plastic) 3M 33+ Electrical Taped to the reflector.

Mine is only a Madmax 1W that had a quite purple tint with the NX05. It is a much nicer tint, throwing a heck of a lot farther with the "Turbo" head!

I now SERIOUSLY want a 4C NimH capable 3W M*g mod to get an ultra WHITE perfect beam!

Alas:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Latest posts