KL1/KL4 hybrid

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
:awman:

SOMEONE has to put a LuxV under the KL1's optics... That's about the only KL# mod that hasn't been done yet.

Garmin, If you like the KL4's beam with a Lux3, track down a Gen3 KL1 and drop in a U-bin Lux3, Wiz2 and sand down a 20mm IMS to fit. Mine (UYOK & Wiz2 917) is wicked bright and has a nearly perfect beam. The spot is probably a little wider than your KL4 and the spill is nice and strong.

Jon

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
StoneDog said:
:awman:

SOMEONE has to put a LuxV under the KL1's optics... That's about the only KL# mod that hasn't been done yet.

Garmin, If you like the KL4's beam with a Lux3, track down a Gen3 KL1 and drop in a U-bin Lux3, Wiz2 and sand down a 20mm IMS to fit. Mine (UYOK & Wiz2 917) is wicked bright and has a nearly perfect beam. The spot is probably a little wider than your KL4 and the spill is nice and strong.

Jon

Jon, is the Gen3 KL1 the original style one with the Lux I, but with the scalloping on the bezel rim? If that's the one, then I think I may have a source for one. The owner of a gun shop in Connecticut (SF authorized dealer) showed one to me two days ago. I told him that it was rather rare. He has it for sale. :rock:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since no one replied to my last post, I figure no one will reply to this one either :( I tried the Lux V behind a KL1 gen 3 TIR optic.

grnamin

Enlightened
CM said:
Well since no one replied to my last post, I figure no one will reply to this one either :( I tried the Lux V behind a KL1 gen 3 TIR optic.

How did the beam turn out? Pictures please.

Correction: I was able to open up the KL1 that arrived today, all the way through to the LED and optic. It wasn't that difficult to do. I have a better appreciation of the internal design of this latest version of the KL1. No need to center the LED by eye. Just pop it into the slot. Now waiting on a McR20 reflector I ordered from the Sandwich Shoppe to put into this KL1. :)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I held the optic in place so I can't take pics. I tried to adjust the distance from LED to optic and the best I've got is the image of the four dies--:sick2: But that was against a white ceiling. May not matter if you're looking for flood but I suspect if you want to use the TIR, you're looking for throw in which case you're better off using a reflector, and a BIG reflector for the LuxV at that.

BTW, the KL1 circuit can be used to drive a Lux V (I did it 3 years ago and it's the same circuit as what they're using today). The gen 3 circuit drives a lux at around 500mA. A poor man's KL4 is a Gen 3 KL1 with the optic replaced by a reflector and the circuit boosted to 700mA, with a WWO lux V. Use a smooth reflector, not textured.

Luna

Enlightened
CM said:

you tease!

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
grnamin said:
Jon, is the Gen3 KL1 the original style one with the Lux I, but with the scalloping on the bezel rim? If that's the one, then I think I may have a source for one. The owner of a gun shop in Connecticut (SF authorized dealer) showed one to me two days ago. I told him that it was rather rare. He has it for sale. :rock:

Scalloped (saddled?) with optics and I thought a Lux3, but not sure. Here's a pic of mine (with HA stripped and polished).

After a long dip in Greased Lightning but before the polishing:

kl1-fb2-raw.JPG

And after:

kl1-fb2-polished.JPG

It's not an easy mod, the 20mm reflector doesn't want to fit right - I should've done more to the middle section of the KL1 so that the emitter could sit lower.

Jon

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but it's been carried a lot since then. Bare Al just doesn't hold up, so this one exhibits quite a few "character marks" now.

Not wanting to hijack, sorry for the tangent. :)

Jon

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM: Now the next big question is will a TIR from a KL3 2.5 work with a luxV???? (.5 means the one with the fresnel rings that gives more smooth beam/cornona/sidespill).

Latest posts