KLARUS XT11 & beyond: The LATEST in 18650 flashlights and LED chip technology!

rambo180

Enlightened
Hi Guys,

The XT12 dosen't exist yet, sorry. I am not a LEO and I mostly use flashlights for fun. I go camping and out on a farm, night walks etc, however I feel I am definatley overprepared for night lighting - and I like it that way. Flashlights to me are more of a hobby than a necessity. I have an Olight M20X and it bores me. Sure its fantastic, bulletproof and puts out 500 lumens for something that fits in my hand, but still, I want MORE!!! Without going too large. 500+ lumens. Something throwy but still with useful flood, for example a smaller hotspot than the XT11, 250+ metre range.

I know that technology always improves, so I don't want to spend $100+ on something that will be outdated in 10 weeks. Guess I could always go down the path of 2x18650s like the Klarus XT20 or the Olight SR51.

I'd like to ask the experts 2 questions:
1) Does anyone know about a new LED chip that will be out soon? Something 7% again brighter than the U2? (which in a way [not exactly, I know] superceeded the T6)
2) Are there any new 18650s coming out soon? The Thrunight TN13? Eagletac G26C2? Sunwayman T21CS?

I'll start. The brightest 1x18650 I know is the Shiningbeam Blaze at 720 lumens (however it may only be at the chip, not ANSI, in which case it isn't the brightest).
The newest 1x18650 is the eagletac D25LC2 clicky, 741 lumens at the chip. Not bad at all at 10.8cm long.

2x18650 suggestions also welcome if you think i'm asking too much.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Shadowww

Banned
Re: KLARUS XT12: The NEWEST and LATEST in 18650 flashlights and LED chip technology!

1) Does anyone know about a new LED chip that will be out soon? Something 7% again brighter than the U2? (which in a way [not exactly, I know] superceeded the T6)
Of course there is, the XM-L U3. :Р

Nobody has it yet (apart from Cree employees, lol) though.

rambo180

Enlightened
Re: KLARUS XT12: The NEWEST and LATEST in 18650 flashlights and LED chip technology!

Haha. Gotta get a job at that factory.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

a single xm-l can scale from a small keychain light up to the likes of the thrunite tn31. a higher bin isn't gonna make a huge difference

nope the shiningbeam blaze isn't the brightest single 18650

another consideration is step-down. a lot of lights start out very bright but stepdown in a couple of minutes. check out the eagletac g25c2, the stepdown can actually be disabled so you get sustained high output

then you also have to check regulation. some very bright lights don't have very flat regulation. they dim gradually

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the sunwayman t20cs fit into that category? Just ordered one from battery junction yesterday. It seems like its what I've been looking for but better looking than the klarus.

I guess I don't quite understand what more you need than those you listed. Just the brightness factor?

-Alex

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

The brightest flashlights running on a single 1x18650 would be a P60 host with massive heat dissipation capability and quad-XP-G P60 modules made by VanIsleDSM or Kenji. Those things put out anywhere from 1,200 to 2,000 lumens at the emitter, depending on the configuration. They are, obviously, quite floody due to the multi-emitter configuration. VanIsleDSM offers it in both 4.2A and 5.6A flavors--4.2A will be less brighter than 5.6A, but you get better runtime and light dumps less waste heat, thus making it easier for your equipment. Also, you will need a specialized switch that can take a LOT of current if you go with 5.6A, something like ZeroRez, while you can use a McClicky for 4.2A.

If you are willing to sacrifice some output for better throw, you can get the P60 drop-in that mounts XM-L U2 on copper PCB. Vinhnguyen54 recently started making these. Unfortunately, for now, he only has the 5.5A direct drive configuration available for it, which means that the output dim over time. As with above, you will also need a switch that can handle a lot of current. McClickies can handle up to 5A. Still, the drop-in will get you 1,300 lumens at the emitter.

For the current brightest 1x18650 flashlights in production, you can take a look at either Zebralight SC600 or ThruNite TN11 or TN11S with XM-L U2. SC600 is more compact, but has parasitic drain, minimal throw and is incompatible with primary CR123As. TN11 and TN11S are two of the best throwing lights in their class, and can be used with extenders to extend runtimes, but the downside is that they are rather large for normal EDC carry (but it's roughly the same size as XT11) and go into direct drive when using 1x18650. SC600, TN11 and TN11S all do around 1,000 lumens at the emitter before stepdown.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes intentionally misleading title

thumbsdown

rambo180

Enlightened

yes intentionally misleading title

thumbsdown

Thread title changed. My attempts to get this thread attention have obviously annoyed some. Apologies.

Lets get back on topic, as Overclocker said, the Blaze isn't the brigtest. it is 720 at the chip, so around 550 approx lumens at the emitter. Good point.

Overclocker, I do want regulated. I'm past my old Mags degrading in power over time. Keep the consistency with the lumens! But I don't mind the step down after 3-5 minutes. Guess its there to stop overheating and to increase battery life. They don't just put it in to annoy the user.

I agree, the G25C2 is up there with the best. and step down is optional. An 8 page or more forum page on the "Official G25C2 thread" indicates that people really love it. Good throw too. The only thing i don't like is the price tag with the diffuser and colour kit and extender included. But it is awesome quality!

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
Re: KLARUS XT11 & beyond: The LATEST in 18650 flashlights and LED chip technology!

Does the sunwayman t20cs fit into that category? Just ordered one from battery junction yesterday. It seems like its what I've been looking for but better looking than the klarus.

I guess I don't quite understand what more you need than those you listed. Just the brightness factor?

-Alex

Hi Alex, Yes the sunwayman looks awesome, and it's the type of light i'm after for sure! I don't need more lumens, I WANT more. This thread is a little more about having fun and blinding light. Most people, if they really really had to (or at least half of people) could make do with some sort of old incan maglite. But they buy for example a T20CS because they're so much more awesome and fun and smaller and more convienent.

I'm sure you'll love it. I think its got a little more throw ("wow" factor for me) than the Klarus.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you'll love it. I think its got a little more throw ("wow" factor for me) than the Klarus.

that's the reason I chose it over the klarus. And SWM seems to have nicer tint over all series. I'll let you know how it s after the holidays!
I also got some nice Panasonic 3100 18650s from intl-outdoor.

-Alex

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KLARUS XT11 & beyond: The LATEST in 18650 flashlights and LED chip technology!

"SC600 is more compact, but has parasitic drain"

I think that has been cured in the latest iteration. They currently list the parasitic drain as 13 years. I doubt the batteries are even good for that!

Speaking of batteries....it was asked by the OP what 18650s are coming out. The latest Panasonic cell out (but not commonly available yet) is the NCR18650B rated at 3400mah. That's gonna be about as good as it's likely to be this year I'd say.

rambo180

Enlightened

The latest Panasonic cell out (but not commonly available yet) is the NCR18650B rated at 3400mah. .

Nice post. Good find.
Thats really huge battery capacity, especially compared to someone using recharageable AAs. Eneloops or something like that. I'm only using Soshine 2800mahs at the moment.

rambo180

Enlightened

The brightest flashlights running on a single 1x18650 would be a P60 host with massive heat dissipation capability and quad-XP-G P60 modules made by VanIsleDSM or Kenji. Those things put out anywhere from 1,200 to 2,000 lumens at the emitter, depending on the configuration. They are, obviously, quite floody due to the multi-emitter configuration. VanIsleDSM offers it in both 4.2A and 5.6A flavors--4.2A will be less brighter than 5.6A, but you get better runtime and light dumps less waste heat, thus making it easier for your equipment. Also, you will need a specialized switch that can take a LOT of current if you go with 5.6A, something like ZeroRez, while you can use a McClicky for 4.2A.

If you are willing to sacrifice some output for better throw, you can get the P60 drop-in that mounts XM-L U2 on copper PCB. Vinhnguyen54 recently started making these. Unfortunately, for now, he only has the 5.5A direct drive configuration available for it, which means that the output dim over time. As with above, you will also need a switch that can handle a lot of current. McClickies can handle up to 5A. Still, the drop-in will get you 1,300 lumens at the emitter.

For the current brightest 1x18650 flashlights in production, you can take a look at either Zebralight SC600 or ThruNite TN11 or TN11S with XM-L U2. SC600 is more compact, but has parasitic drain, minimal throw and is incompatible with primary CR123As. TN11 and TN11S are two of the best throwing lights in their class, and can be used with extenders to extend runtimes, but the downside is that they are rather large for normal EDC carry (but it's roughly the same size as XT11) and go into direct drive when using 1x18650. SC600, TN11 and TN11S all do around 1,000 lumens at the emitter before stepdown.

Some good knowledge about hand-made options! Starting out using P60s and drop-ins though is a big step. Need to learn more about costs and things like that. Do you think that making one yourself for a similar price is MUCH better than just buying a stock light. For example a $150 mix n match light compared to something like the TN11s with the battery extender. Is it worth looking at drop-ins? I would've thought that Thrunight can do a mean & unbeatable light already.

I might stick with Thurnights and Klarus at this stage, but can you reccomend your favourite P60 host? Always good to know.

Oh, and I think you're right. TN11 will throw a lot. 830 ANSI lumens. Has to be one of the highest lumen. 18650 flashlights. dam! Update: This is only with 3 or more CR123s or 2x18650s with the extender tube. I'll have to settle for somthing like 640ANSI from the G25C2. I think that is the brightest around.

SUNWAYMAN T20CS at 658 ANSI lumens. I think we have a winner

cheers.

Last edited:

LEDburn

Enlightened

Oh, and I think you're right. TN11 will throw a lot. 830 ANSI lumens. Has to be one of the highest lumen. 18650 flashlights. dam!

Most of the time I do not run my lights on MAX as there simply isn't a need and I prefer to conserve batteries - during an underground trip, batteries are like air and water!
In saying that, I hardly use MAX anytime really unless it's to simply test the output compared to another light. I've found that unless you compare say 800 lumens to 500 lumens in back to back tests in quick succession, you will be kidding yourself most of the time if 500 really wasn't enough. Some people may not even discern too noticeable a difference.

Basically, I'd recommend you go for optimal beam pattern, tint, runtime, size and battery choice before going for the highest output light.

..maybe I use my lights too practically..?

rambo180

Enlightened

Most of the time I do not run my lights on MAX as there simply isn't a need and I prefer to conserve batteries - during an underground trip, batteries are like air and water!
In saying that, I hardly use MAX anytime really unless it's to simply test the output compared to another light. I've found that unless you compare say 800 lumens to 500 lumens in back to back tests in quick succession, you will be kidding yourself most of the time if 500 really wasn't enough. Some people may not even discern too noticeable a difference.

Basically, I'd recommend you go for optimal beam pattern, tint, runtime, size and battery choice before going for the highest output light.

..maybe I use my lights too practically..?

Haha well I'm really just looking for something fun and super-bright. As you and others have wisely said, 500 should be enough. I agree.

Your excellent logic would suggest to me that an XT11 would be very appropriate. I've heard its got a great clean beam, small-mid size, and most outstanding is the battery life - It lasts much longer than all other 500-600 lumen 1x18650 flashlights. And the user interface I've heard is nothing short of fantastic!

rambo180

Enlightened

Anyone got any other ideas? Maybe a G25C2 with U2 led is the way to go.