klarus xt11s suitability check

mickb

Enlightened
Hi fellas, anyone own this one or have an opinion. Looking for a scope mounted gun light, medium range. Wondering where Klarus rates for quality. I dont bother with malkoff and surefire level stuff, I find nitecore and fenix okay. Does Klarus rank with either of the latter?

Also wondered if the more learned members here could double check my thoughts here

1100 lumens-= decent run time
27,000 CD, okay throw for hunting small and medium size animals to 100 yards.
Dual spring design( at each end of battery) claimed to assist with absorbing recoil and while its no potted malkoff level light, this spring set up would have some value yes?
Options for Strobe instant on, turbo instant on + remote tail cap switch. Assuming this is what it reads, in that I dont press the button and have to wait a second for it warm up or activate etc...

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
If you want to go that route, pick up the XT12GT. Battery junction has em for 63 bucks right now. 98k throw, magnet charging. You won't get tunnel vision from it, trust me. I just scouted out one of my hunt spots for hog a few nights ago and that XT12GT was the only light I brought that put the light I wanted on target. Might be a bit easier overall.

As far as for a weapon light. I'm sure they think it is. The only thing I would be concerned with is it skipping modes under recoil. Depends on the caliber I guess. If you can swing a couple extra bucks, Armytek makes some pretty solid stuff irrc. I think they are fully potted, or atleast used to be? I could be wrong, but I think I remember that. I had a buddy that threw the Nitecore P12GT on his shotgun and AR for plinking and hunting. Never skipped a beat. Might be worth a look there too. Another good option is the Streamlight TLR 1 HPL, dedicated weapon light, lots of light and lots of throw. 130 bucks though. Just figured I'd toss it out.

Depending on what you're doing, you might not like the runtime you'll get out a 1000 lumen light on one 18650, but it seems hard to find anything that isn't pedal to the metal these on output. I would lean towards a good, focused light instead. Good luck on that though.

TLDR; might just have to try it and see, but I wouldn't think there'd be any issues on medium to small caliber rifles for hunting. Lots of lateral options available, some cheaper.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Klarus ST15. Gave it to a family member. Was a great light. Didn't want that good of a light shelved after I got a Nitecore MH10 v.2 (didn't need it to be tactical). Basically the same in brightness levels and l.e.d. as the ST11s minus built in charging. That l.e.d. has excellent throw and the light is built tough. Don't know how it would handle hard recoil, but I bet it would do okay with springs on both ends. A lot of people go for brighter lights now but 1,000-1,300 lumens gets you decent runtime on turbo without much of a drop. Klarus is on par with Nitecore and Fenix for quality. My ST15 had stainless steel on both ends for good durability, and I liked that it had a recessed tactical switch that allowed it to tail stand (though yours doesn't have those features). Nitecore charges more for a tactical switch setup and a larger head for throw. Klarus lights have that standard. Fenix got rid of a real low setting on their lights. While 10 lumens isn't that low, it's closer to the 15 of a Surefire vs. 30 or 50 on a Fenix. If you want to get around undetected, you want a good low before you surprise someone with turbo.

Latest posts