Kroger purified bottled water goes downhill bigtime

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're trying to go the minimum-cost route, do look into a French press; ~$15 with no filters, nothing else to buy ever.

I have a French Press. Don't use it much though since it's kind of a hassle to clean in my opinion. At least more so than just rinsing the little pour over holder and cleaning up a paper filter. I use the press when I need to make more coffee at once and use it for guests. Don't have a drip maker anymore.

I'll look at the burr grinder though even if it's a cheap one. What do you use for grinding StarHalo? And did you notice a big improvement in taste if you upgraded to a burr grinder that gave you more consistent grinds? I use a blade grinder now with good results, but some absolute coffee nuts swear that it will be the second coming of [insert preferred chosen one] when one changes to a decent burr grinder.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Hmmm, where's that thread about coffee??

It seems like we revisit the coffee thread idea every couple of years; I don't mind having the relevant posts moved into an old/new thread as needed, but at some point I'm going to start the grand unified coffee thread..

I have a French Press. Don't use it much though since it's kind of a hassle to clean in my opinion.

I'll look at the burr grinder though even if it's a cheap one. What do you use for grinding StarHalo? And did you notice a big improvement in taste if you upgraded to a burr grinder that gave you more consistent grinds? I use a blade grinder now with good results, but some absolute coffee nuts swear that it will be the second coming of [insert preferred chosen one] when one changes to a decent burr grinder.

Just gotta drop the individual parts into the dishwashing machine overnight, your clean field-stripped press is ready in the morning.

I use the ~$90 Capresso Infinity, works just fine for everything except an espresso machine, which I don't have. If you're doing store shelf coffee/not fresh roast, I wouldn't worry about the grinder, in fact I don't know that I've ever tasted any difference in grinding beans vs the bagged stuff when it comes to store-bought.

nbp

Flashaholic
Find one or start one; either way this thread isn't about coffee. It was a hint to get back on topic.

scout24

Flashaholic
If coffee is 98% + water, this thread is more on track than many others. Just kidding, I'll start one now. :)

Capolini

Banned
Gave up soda in ~2015, now prefer these little squirt Splenda bottles, no sugar, no calories, no work:

IlPkp1m.jpg

May be a slight improvement over soda but still has one of the dreaded artificial sweeteners,SUCRALOSE!!

That is in the same category as Aspartame and other unhealthy artificial sweeteners. May even rank up there with High Fructose corn syrup. I remember my doctor telling me [~10 years ago] that our body does not know how/can not process HFCS and it caramelizes our brain!!

If you notice these drinks that boast about NO SUGAR/NO CALORIES Ect,,,they are bound to have artificial ingredients/sweeteners that are not healthy

I googled some of them[Aspartame/Sucralose and many others] in a Monster energy drink[~ 8 years ago!] and have not had one since once I read what they can do to you and what they Have done to some people.

I drink spring water/mineral water[German and Italian] and some natural fruit juices. that is it.

NO COFFEE/ALCOHOL/SODA[POP] or these no calorie drinks w/ artificial sweeteners!:D

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've heard the Splenda stories before, but remember that this is the sweetener used in Diet Pepsi; there's a significant portion of the population of planet Earth on Splenda at any given time, all you have to do is isolate any one prevalent issue/diagnosis among them. What you'll end up with is a handful of personal antecdoes basically on par with people complaining of ill effects from Wifi. There's always going to be unique reactions to some variable in a broad enough sample group, and you shouldn't take anything you feel gives you problems, but we're talking about a drug that's objectively safer than aspirin, there are much bigger food/water additives to worry about..

Capolini

Banned
the freedom of choice is wonderful. I choose the natural way and prefer to listen to my doctor. We can all justify and rationalize things to our own needs.

I think that's a splenda idea!

Capolini

Banned
Q:What are the dangers of sucralose?

A:QUICK ANSWER

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener that is made using a variety of unnatural additives, the most dangerous being chlorine, reports MedicineNet.com. Chlorine is a carcinogen found in poisonous gas and pesticides. More testing of humans is required to determine the safety of ingesting sucralose.

FULL ANSWER

Since sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar, it's typically ingested in very small quantities. That makes it difficult to determine the impact it has on caloric intake, medical side effects and even the absorption of prescription medications, MedicineNet.com adds. There are many alleged symptoms associated with its ingestion, including gastrointestinal problems, skin rash, chest pains, coughing and mood swings. Additionally, although it's leading product Splenda claims to be calorie-free, it actually contains the carbohydrates dextrose and maltodextrin, which have calories.

Early research on sucralose suggests it passes through the body undigested, points out Prevention. Current studies show that it is metabolized and linked to the following problems: reduction of the good bacteria in the gut by 50 percent or more; limited absorption of medications; release of a potentially toxic compound called chloropropanols when used in baking; and altered insulin response, blood sugar levels and possibly genes.
A reduction in insulin response is of particular concern for those at risk for Type 2 diabetes, notes the Huffington Post. People at risk for diabetes or obesity are more likely to be users of artificial sweeteners in an attempt to cut calories.

nbp

Flashaholic
No kidding. This thread is about purified drinking water, not the hazards of artificial sweeteners. It may be an interesting discussion though if someone would like to start the thread. Thanks.