L0P died...

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even discounting government and military customers, i can't imagine that more Fenix have been sold than Inova, let alone "millions". And honestly, who has used both an Inova T- or X-series and a Fenix and doesn't feel the latter comes up obviously short? People use Inova as dive lights. I'd be leary of using my Fenix in a good shower, and before anyone tells me that they're waterproof, i've run across posts of examples which distinctly weren't, so spare me. I'm one of the few people with an L1 v2 and have an L1P with the original clickie. I don't use either one, but i won't get rid of the L1 because i've given two as gifts and quite frankly don't trust them not to die sometime down the line.

All of that is off-topic though, and i hope those with Fenix issues get staightened out. I just needed to vent 'cause i'm *so* tired of the Fenix hype. My apologies.

amanichen

Enlightened
Archangel said:
Even discounting government and military customers, i can't imagine that more Fenix have been sold than Inova, let alone "millions".
Inovas also get sold in retail stores, while you can only really get a Fenix online. It's stupid to make any comparisons between quantity sold between two brands which have different distribution models.

Ya know, Maglites outsell just about every other flashlight brand ever, but when every single store on the planet sells some type of Maglite it's a worthless comparison.

All of that is off-topic though, and i hope those with Fenix issues get staightened out. I just needed to vent 'cause i'm *so* tired of the
You're right...you should be allowed to hate Fenix in peace :goodjob: The Fenix cult will go elsewhere.

Last edited:

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The problem with Fenix lights,or with any other product made to a price, is that QC and aftersales are not factored into the final retail cost. Chinese products are very often of poor quality but only because (in most cases) the importer specified the unit cost be kept to a minimum. Electronic components manufactured in China are just as likely to be made on an automated production line as anywhere else in the world. Accordingly manufacturing faults are more likely due to (a) poor design or (b) poor quality components. Neither of these problems are specific to China but because of the nature of competition and the large profits to be made manufacturing in China many overseas companies do not worry about higher than average failure rates.

China has until recently depended on inward investment from foreign companies to fund it's manufacturing base but is now beginning to produce home grown products in greater numbers. It's ready supply of well educated and trained labour means that many more Chinese companies will undercut their overseas competitors in price but not (as yet) quality. However, do not mistake this as an inablity for Chinese companies to produce quality products! At the present time Fenix have succeeded in making a well designed and manufactured product which has demonstrated their abilities. If they had factored into this equation better components and a rigorous QC then the unit price would be much higher but many more of their competitors in other countries (US included) would have more to worry about?

Doug

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Chinese lights make great hosts to modify for a moderately priced high performance light though. Fenix seems to have even gotten better with there HA.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
amanichen said:
Inovas also get sold in retail stores, while you can only really get a Fenix online.

You know, this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about, Just because you can't buy them in stores in the US you assume that you can't buy them in stores anywhere else in the rest of the world. I'm guessing that if you walked into a camping store in China that you wouldn't find any Inovas but a whole rack of Fenix.

I don't know this for a fact, but at least I'm not so insular that I assume just because it's true for my country it must be true everywhere. I'm guessing that, as Fenix is a newish company and they are still expanding it will be a year or two before they replace Inova on shelves in the US but better keep your eyes open as they are on their way.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick word of praise for Fenixes.

My L0P has been through a lot, Neck lanyard wear, keychain use, rain, showers, thrown about, mounted on a stunt kite to 'strafe' the beach at low tide,dropped in salt water,sand etc. It works fine, and it's well battered! Admittedly I take good care of the contacts and O-rings, lots of silicon gel etc. I'm sure it's not as good a torch as my Old ARC-P (Three years and counting...) but it's not bad for the price.

Of all the torches I've had over the years the only ones which have inexplicably stopped working are my gerber sonics.

Be lucky...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is terribly OT, but I'm guessing that you're not going to find a camping store in China :)

It should be noted that Fenix is not a Chinese company located in China, but rather in Taiwan. They just exploit the cheap labor costs in China like companies all over the world are doing. And as we all know from computer components over the years, the quality control can vary from batch to batch and there are often unannounced changes to the products during their life-cycle.

As dougmccoy mentioned the quality standards from the originating company can be a significant factor as well when it comes to quality control, and pretty much known that the Taiwanese vendors lean more towards maximum profits than quality control or end-user support.

Jay R said:
I'm guessing that if you walked into a camping store in China that you wouldn't find any Inovas but a whole rack of Fenix.

I'm guessing that, as Fenix is a newish company

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
This is terribly OT, but I'm guessing that you're not going to find a camping store in China :)

Why not ??

For most of us on this forum qualiy may be an issue but the average Jo in the street is going to walk into a shop, see two lights that seem to be the same, and he is going to buy the one that's made in China and costs $10 less.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I'm really having a hard time understanding the panic here. The reaction to "My Fenix died." is "OH NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The world is falling apart, my Fenix is going to die tooooo!!!!"

Some Fenixs have had problems. As has been pointed out, so have some Surefires, and... oh no, I'm sure some Inova's too. There isn't an item manufactured that has 100% no-breaky rate - in ANY country.

Personally, I like Fenix lights. They look good, and having looked at a number of Inovas, I just like the Fenix's better (altough my new JetBeam is pretty cool too! :naughty: )

Sure, it's too bad as far as the people with broken Fenix's, and sure, I hope mine keeps working flawlessly. But reality check, people: Someone's broke, doesn't mean yours is gonnu. :ohgeez:

horizonseeker

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:

and when was the last time you were in China? There are plenty of camping supply stores in China serving the growing crowd of hikers. As far as what is on the shelf, that is dependent on which store you go to. I have not yet seen a Fenix light in B&M store, but I wouldn't be making the statement that they are only available online.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
horizonseeker said:
and when was the last time you were in China? There are plenty of camping supply stores in China serving the growing crowd of hikers. As far as what is on the shelf, that is dependent on which store you go to. I have not yet seen a Fenix light in B&M store, but I wouldn't be making the statement that they are only available online.
Fenix are certainly not avaliable in European stores neither in the North America. That covers by far the largest markets for "expensive" flashlights and camping gear.

BTW, China doesn't have a strong camping/hiking culture as we have. Its number of domestic customers for this particular niche of products are nowhere near of being comparable to the first world. Not to mention that most industrialized products made in China are made for export.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
the "strength" of camping/hiking culture has little to do with the whether the market geared toward selling merchandises labeled as "outdoor gear" is viable (profitable).

How many people will actually put their gears to serious use? REI and the rest of the outdoor recreation stores didn't get to where they are based solely on serious outdoor hikers. Those who want gears to make up for deficiencies in skills is the largest market of all. and lest we forget, there is the "bling gear" factor.

The burgeoning market for outdoor activities in China is a developing market and is on the upswing, compared to just a few years ago, the growth has been what can be described as "explosive".

Last edited: