La Crosse BC-900 Charger Warning

tacoal

Newly Enlightened
jtr1962 said:
Yes, version 32 like pretty much everyone's here. I wonder if they did a board redesign with version 33 or just a software change.

The one I use now is 32. The second one is on its way, I think it should be 33. I'll check them when I get the new one.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like making contact with La Crosse about my meltdown BC-900 is going to a bit of a problem! :ohgeez:

I emailed them yesterday and left voicemail too. Nothing on my answering machine and no email either from them. I called again and got dumped to voicemail after maybe seven minutes just like yesterday, so I left another voicemail marked as "urgent"!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
They haven't returned my call either! Fine - I get the message!

They get no more of my money and I'd not recommend them after this!

There are just too many other options on the market!

Last edited:

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah! I used that old trick of calling just before they close! Gacha! :D

I talked to some girl that didn't know too much about the charger and heard nothing about these problems lately. She couldn't ask around because everybody else had gone home for the day. I have a RMA# but no freebie yet like somebody else got but who knows, maybe I'll get a call like they did.

Grumpy

Enlightened
Would it do any good if someone contacted a Consumer Safety Comission or whatever it is called?

regnim

Newly Enlightened
Sent my charger to La Crosse on 1/11 and they received it on 1/13. Today, 1/17, I got a replacement. Firmware version 33. Put a fully charged set of Energizers 2500mah in it and set it for 200ma charge. Unit charged for about 10 min and then went to "full". So far so good, now trying the test mode, on my glass desktop just in case. No note or any reply, wonder if they even looked at my old charger, just sent a replacement.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
regnim said:
Sent my charger to La Crosse on 1/11 and they received it on 1/13. Today, 1/17, I got a replacement. Firmware version 33. Put a fully charged set of Energizers 2500mah in it and set it for 200ma charge. Unit charged for about 10 min and then went to "full". So far so good, now trying the test mode, on my glass desktop just in case. No note or any reply, wonder if they even looked at my old charger, just sent a replacement.
regnim:

Did you send/receive a new power supply too?

Mike abcd

Enlightened
regnim said:

Charging 2500 mAH cells at 200 mA is just asking for trouble IMHO. All the cell manufacturers warn about using -dV/dt at low charge rates because the peak is very small or non existant. The reported lower temp cutoff of the V 33 firmware should help but the 200 mA rate won't do your cells any favors.

The 200 mA default rate of the BC-900 is definitely a major issue. I pity the average consumer who thinks slow charging on it is "better". I continue to use mine without issues but I also always use higher rates except on carefully timed 200 mA "top off" charges. I also use it on a non flammable surface to be safe...

I just started playing with a Lenmar Mach 1 Gamma charger that can terminate charging on the rate of cell temp change as advised by the cell manufacturers. It charges MUCH quicker then the LaCrosse and it's hard to feel ANY temp rise with my finger thermometer. Only downside is it doesn't fully fast charge cells or have any measurement capabilities. They have to be left on trickle charge for a full charge. An initial test seems to show it fast charges to about 90% (using the BC-900 to check capacity). BTW, it has a small fan but it's only used to cool the electronic section and not the batteries. I suspect they need it to keep temps stable for the dT/dt termination. About $30 delivered from Amazon or Newegg with four crappy Lenmar 2300 mA AA.

Mike

regnim

Newly Enlightened
wptski said:
regnim:

Did you send/receive a new power supply too?

I sent them the charger and supply, they sent me a complete new charger/supply/case/batteries.

regnim

Newly Enlightened
Mike abcd said:
Charging 2500 mAH cells at 200 mA is just asking for trouble IMHO. All the cell manufacturers warn about using -dV/dt at low charge rates because the peak is very small or non existant. The reported lower temp cutoff of the V 33 firmware should help but the 200 mA rate won't do your cells any favors.

Mike

Yeah I know, but I wanted to be sure it would shut off and it seemed to work fine. If the power was interrupted while I was away it would start charging again at 200ma and I wanted to be sure it would shut off. 10 min probably did not hurt the cells any.

mccavazos

Enlightened
wptski said:
I wonder if the user in this thread:BC-900 Meltdown ever got his replacement and what version it is, 32/33?

I tried calling La Crosse about my BC-900 twice and got dumped after a few minutes to voicemail! I left a message the second time. They might be closed today because of the holiday!

EDIT: I emailed them also!

Where does it list the version on teh charger? I still have the melted one, until I have time to send it back, so I can check the version on both of these.

Shark

Enlightened
mccavazos said:
Where does it list the version on teh charger? I still have the melted one, until I have time to send it back, so I can check the version on both of these.

When you first plug in the power supply the version number should show up momentarily. I think in slot 4 on the LCD.

Mike abcd

Enlightened
regnim said:
Yeah I know, but I wanted to be sure it would shut off and it seemed to work fine. If the power was interrupted while I was away it would start charging again at 200ma and I wanted to be sure it would shut off. 10 min probably did not hurt the cells any.

Good point on it's behavior after a power failure. I used to see a lot of glitches and short outages but the local power company really cleaned up their act several years ago and it happens so rarely now, I tend to forget about the possibility.

I agree, 200 mA for 10 min into even a fully charged 2500 mAh Energizer (Sanyo) is a non issue.

Mike

tacoal

Newly Enlightened
I got the second BC-900 today. It comes from Amazon.

The package changed from a paper box to a sealed plastic one. Contents are the
same.

The firmware revision is 32, not the expected 33.
icon6.gif

The assembly is worse than before: a thin layer of dust inside the charger,
large block of solder for those parts that are not SMT. this may be due to the
manual soldering.

The PCB board has some changes, primary around the thermistor. The hole changed
from a round one to a square one. This hole now is used to install a stand for
the thermistor. This will provide a better contact between thermistor and the
metal. I do not find any circuitry change.

The waveform is the same. Glitch is still there.

Just add a 500uf capacitor around the power socket, the nikiwind's mod. The
glitch on power is gone but the charging current has glitch now.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH said:
Does anyone have a source for a very quiet, 120 volt, miniature fan that moves just enough air to cool the charger/batts?

I bought a 12 volt 2" square fan and wired it to a Radio Shack 12 volt wall wart. I used the modular plug type PS so I could dissasemble the fan from the wart for storage. It puts out more than enough airflow for the job and is quiet. A 5V CPU fan with a smaller charger would work also I'd think.

tacoal

Newly Enlightened
wptski said:
tacoal:

What do you mean that the charging current has a glitch now?

The charging current waveform took from the sampling resistor has overshoting after adding the capacitor. That means the big di/dt. It is harmful to the device sometimes.

Latest posts